I have tons of study material, but no solid plan.

JCDante

I have tons of study material, but no solid plan.

Postby JCDante » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:09 pm

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. This will be my first day on the road to the October 2015 LSAT. Just going to keep things simple by doing a cold diagnostic.

But after that, I have no idea, and I'm afraid of studying inefficiently. Here's what I got so far:

PowerScore: Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles
Official LSAT SuperPrep, The Next 10, The New Actual, 10 Actual and the 2014 PTs.
Cambridge Ultimate LSAT Prep Package, Endurance Edition (mainly got for the "by type" PDFs)
LSAT Trainer

I also have the 7Sage, TLS, and the Manhattan forums bookmarked.

With all of the above, I figure that's plenty, but I feel directionless at the moment. My purchases were inspired by Pithypike's guide, but I still feel a bit lost reading through. Thinking of my second day involving review of the '07 test and starting the LG Bible.

Miscellaneous question, but did anyone find themselves going between prep books, or did you finish one at a time?

Fred Norris

Re: I have tons of study material, but no solid plan.

Postby Fred Norris » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:34 pm

I'd burn through the LSAT Trainer first, doing the powerscore bibles when you feel burnt out with the LSAT trainer (but keeping a consistent pace with it). When finished with the trainer, switch to the bibles full time.

JCDante

Postby JCDante » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 am

Sounds like a plan. BTW, my first diagnostic (timed) really kicked my ass. A little disappointed, but also very excited. These next four months are going to be intense.

As for the Cambridge packets, when should I start drilling by type?

And is there any value in doing untimed PTs? Thinking of having my next one like that. It's not something I'd get in the habit of, but I want to have a chance to "feel" out the LSAT a bit more without being constraint by time.

equang

Postby equang » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:37 pm

I think untimed PT's is the way to go. I did my first 10 or so PT's untimed. The idea is to get your thinking skills down pat and accuracy increased. Once you have the accuracy down, then you'll naturally get faster. I don't know if there is any solid reason to think about 35 minute sections when you first start taking LSAT sections. At the end of the day, even if you can finish a section in 35 minutes, if you missed 10 questions, it wouldn't do you any good.

I have never gotten lower than 169 on any PT, and am currently averaging 170-175.

Here's an anecdote you might want to read:

http://service2school.org/beating-the-l ... cored-180/

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.

JCDante

Postby JCDante » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:48 am

gamerish wrote:In my opinion, untimed PTs are a waste of tests. If you have the standard cambridge bundle you only have about 30 fresh PTs, which really isn't a whole lot once you start getting into the groove of your studying. I think it's best to preserve those for testing conditions, especially when there is a mountain of questions for you to drill untimed to your heart's content.

I see. I might just do one untimed, but yeah, should definitely be saving PTs.

BTW, I'm assuming if I use one of the study guides on the LSAT Trainer Website, it should probably be one of the shorter ones, correct (the 8 or 4 week one). Still trying to figure out how to synthesize the Bibles into all of this. I've heard that the Trainer can't be used all alone. It's a good "macro" view of the LSAT, but then I need the Bibles for the "micro" view, plus a tons of PTs for all the practice and review.

Just want to make sure I'm using these four months efficiently lol

Dexter97

Postby Dexter97 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:51 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Dexter97 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:04 pm

JCDante wrote:
gamerish wrote:In my opinion, untimed PTs are a waste of tests. If you have the standard cambridge bundle you only have about 30 fresh PTs, which really isn't a whole lot once you start getting into the groove of your studying. I think it's best to preserve those for testing conditions, especially when there is a mountain of questions for you to drill untimed to your heart's content.

I see. I might just do one untimed, but yeah, should definitely be saving PTs.

BTW, I'm assuming if I use one of the study guides on the LSAT Trainer Website, it should probably be one of the shorter ones, correct (the 8 or 4 week one). Still trying to figure out how to synthesize the Bibles into all of this. I've heard that the Trainer can't be used all alone. It's a good "macro" view of the LSAT, but then I need the Bibles for the "micro" view, plus a tons of PTs for all the practice and review.

Just want to make sure I'm using these four months efficiently lol

I'm running through the LRB and LGB now and then starting the trainer with the Manhattan LR and 7Sage videos. I'm hoping to finish the bibles in the next week or two. Then start using the trainer with the other two sources I just mentioned to drill the Cambridge packets. I'm going to take Super Prep Test A at the end of June and B in July and C in August. Then once I finish drilling (probably end of month 3) I'm going to take my remaining PT's 39-72 or whatever. I'm dedicating my last month entirely to PT's. 1 a day with extensive reviewing afterwards.

EDIT: If I'm not feeling good enough about my PTs (after 2 or 3), I will stop doing them entirely and go back to drilling sections that I need to work on and push back to December. I'm applying in Fall of 16' so time is not an issue at the moment.

JCDante

Postby JCDante » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Dexter97 wrote:It looks like we both have the same materials! 8)

I started with the LG Bible because the games tripped me up on my diagnostic. Once you go through the bible you will become a lot more comfortable with the games and youll see that you should really focus on the LR sections.

Nice. Great minds think alike. :)

Yeah, after I blow through the Trainer (perhaps the 4 week schedule on the website), I was planning on hitting up the LG Bible. Definitely my craziest section on my diagonistic, but they're already feeling pretty learnable.

As for LR, I'd proceed to that next (although likely alongside with LGs). I actually just purchased the Manhattan LR book since I started hearing bad things about the LR Bible. Anyone want a free Powerscore book lol?

By then it will probably have been like a month and a half to two months and I can really start drilling Cambridge packets and other PTs combined with review and 7Sage videos + Manhattan forums. I think this sounds like a solid plan (although I'd do a few PTs in my prep book phase too, I just feel it's hard to get anything out if review this early)

JCDante

Postby JCDante » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Alright, after one week through the Trainer and having read various study guides on TLS, I think I know what the next four months are going to look like.

Phase 1 of prep: LSAT Trainer 4 week plan off of the Trainer website. Doing earlier PTs instead of the ones they have listed.

Phase 2 of prep: Manhattan LR Book and Powerscore LG book simultaneously, both in 1 month. Also will include some short online guides on RC (Voyager, and probably just review what the Trainer says)

Phase 3 of prep: 2 months of PTs. Will make liberal use of 7sage and the Manhattan forums for aid. Will also throw in the Cambridge packets I have to drill any particular kind of games, LRs, or RC topics I'm weak in.

Does anybody know if Manhattan provides free study guides for their prep books? I'd like a template to go off of for phase 2. I'm looking for something like what's on the Powerscore website for their materials (and I will be using their 4 week guide as something to work off of).

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:30 am

Any update to how you've been doing? Now that a few weeks have past, would you adjust any differently?

I started with the LSAT Trainer. Then stopped because I just started getting burned out by it. I started the LG Bible which I loved being able to almost "breeze" through. I'll simultaneously do the Bibles and the Trainers, and then start PTing full time.

JCDante

Postby JCDante » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:17 pm

JazzyMac wrote:Any update to how you've been doing? Now that a few weeks have past, would you adjust any differently?

I started with the LSAT Trainer. Then stopped because I just started getting burned out by it. I started the LG Bible which I loved being able to almost "breeze" through. I'll simultaneously do the Bibles and the Trainers, and then start PTing full time.

I finished the Trainer over the weekend. Also spent a couple hours yesterday reading through all of the SuperPrep informational sectional (mostly redundant, but it was interesting seeing things from LSAC's perspective, and I prefer the way they explained certain things). I'm about to take my second PT (October 2007), and then I'm going to move on to Manhattan LR + LG Bible w/Cambridge drilling for a period of 6 weeks. Last 7 weeks will just be nailing plenty of PTs with review and ironing out weaknesses with the Cambridge packets.

At least, that's the plan. I started my prep with a schedule involving 6 days a week, but last week was only for 5 days, and this week is aiming out to be 5 as well. I don't feel burned out, but I've become a little lazy. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm apprehensive about taking this next PT (fear of not improving significantly from my cold diagnostic, or possibly decreasing, not to mention the amount of blind review I'll have to do at this stage in my prep), and the next few months appear overwhelming at the moment.

I wouldn't adjust any differently. I really enjoyed the Trainer - especially how easily everything is laid out for you. From here on out, everything is less structured for me, and it's intimidating. Once things get going I know I'll be in the zone, but for now....it feels like such a grand task lol. Feels like I've been psyched out (although the recent scores coming out combined with everyone's excitement/disappointment is getting me pumped again).

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:18 am

JCDante wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:Any update to how you've been doing? Now that a few weeks have past, would you adjust any differently?

I finished the Trainer over the weekend. Also spent a couple hours yesterday reading through all of the SuperPrep informational sectional (mostly redundant, but it was interesting seeing things from LSAC's perspective, and I prefer the way they explained certain things). I'm about to take my second PT (October 2007), and then I'm going to move on to Manhattan LR + LG Bible w/Cambridge drilling for a period of 6 weeks. Last 7 weeks will just be nailing plenty of PTs with review and ironing out weaknesses with the Cambridge packets.

At least, that's the plan. I started my prep with a schedule involving 6 days a week, but last week was only for 5 days, and this week is aiming out to be 5 as well. I don't feel burned out, but I've become a little lazy. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm apprehensive about taking this next PT (fear of not improving significantly from my cold diagnostic, or possibly decreasing, not to mention the amount of blind review I'll have to do at this stage in my prep), and the next few months appear overwhelming at the moment.

I wouldn't adjust any differently. I really enjoyed the Trainer - especially how easily everything is laid out for you. From here on out, everything is less structured for me, and it's intimidating. Once things get going I know I'll be in the zone, but for now....it feels like such a grand task lol. Feels like I've been psyched out (although the recent scores coming out combined with everyone's excitement/disappointment is getting me pumped again).

Hey, thanks for responding! Hitting five days out of six is definitely not laziness. I wouldn't be so hard on myself if I were you. I am similar to you as in I have tons of material. It was intimidating for me at first until I started looking at various study plans (even purchased one from the LSAT Blog). What helped a bit for me was using a one-month study plan, only I spread it out over weeks. For some reason it helped me refocus.

One thing I'm wondering about now is if I need to get the Manhattan Guides. I love buying all this material...it gives me purpose.

JCDante

Postby JCDante » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:49 pm

JazzyMac wrote:
JCDante wrote:

Hey, thanks for responding! Hitting five days out of six is definitely not laziness. I wouldn't be so hard on myself if I were you. I am similar to you as in I have tons of material. It was intimidating for me at first until I started looking at various study plans (even purchased one from the LSAT Blog). What helped a bit for me was using a one-month study plan, only I spread it out over weeks. For some reason it helped me refocus.

One thing I'm wondering about now is if I need to get the Manhattan Guides. I love buying all this material...it gives me purpose.

No problem! And the 5 days vs 6 day of week isn't the only thing bothering me. I decreased the amount of hours I was studying a day too. Basically, I could have got through the Trainer in 3 weeks instead of 4, but as soon as I realized that I was ahead, I slowed down a bit. Just don't want to make a habit of that for the rest of my prep lol

And watch out for buying too much material. That might be overwhelming in itself! :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”