Best RC Materials

SD1992

Best RC Materials

Postby SD1992 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:07 pm

I'm considering purchasing the Powerscore self-study package tomorrow. Before I do that, I want to see what people think about PS's RC guide.

I don't need much help with LR, so my studies are going to focus primarily on AR and RC. Should I buy the LG Bible and, for example, the Manhattan RC guide as opposed to the entire PS self-study package?

Money is tight for me so I'd rather not purchase the entire PS self-study package if there are significantly better materials out there for RC.

179orBust

Re: Best RC Materials

Postby 179orBust » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Buy the Manhattan RC book, it's pretty good. If you want to save money you can buy the Kindle version for $9.99.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:56 pm

I went through the Powerscore bible, didn't find it really useful at all

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:53 pm

I also thought Manhattan RC was helpful.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 am

Last edited by NL2424 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurelius85

Postby Aurelius85 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:25 am

I went through both the LSAT Trainer and Powerscore RC Bible and neither has really helped. They really don't offer a system that guarantees perfection and efficiency, instead they just breakdown the section and explain things...which really doesn't help. I've improved just by practicing the same passages over and over again. I'll be tackling the Manhattan book in a few weeks to see if it helps.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:30 am

For me what helped most with RC was a philosophy class I took this past semester on Epistemology. I had to read extremely dense books about topics I couldn't understand. After doing this during a three month LSAT hiatus my RC score improved. Just like that. I did no "standard" RC prep during this time and my score still went up. I think the best advice is to become the strongest reader you can be. People always suggest the economist, I've never personally read it but I would suggest finding something dense to read that you're interested in. Since I was interested in the philosophy books I enjoyed reading them, even though I found myself having to read chapters over and over again until I understood something. It was grueling but like I said, it really helped. My friend is an English Major and at the start of her prep she was going -3/4 in RC. Correlation doesn't show causation but I really believe her skill was due to the fact that she was a strong reader because she had to read countless books (a lot of difficult ones might I add) for her major. So buy the RC prep books, they will definitely help, but I really think your best prep is to find some reading you enjoy that is dense and makes you work to understand the text.

stcait

Postby stcait » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 am

I think the trainer and Manhattan books have basically the same ideas cuz the author of trainer was one of the instructors in Manhattan prep, right?

Btw I wonder how many ppl actually take notes on RC section and how much they do...personally if I take notes it took me lots of time and cannot focus on reading, so I stopped taking notes, but it's kinda hard to answer questions asking specific details :(

SD1992

Postby SD1992 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:17 am

zacboro wrote:For me what helped most with RC was a philosophy class I took this past semester on Epistemology. I had to read extremely dense books about topics I couldn't understand. After doing this during a three month LSAT hiatus my RC score improved. Just like that. I did no "standard" RC prep during this time and my score still went up. I think the best advice is to become the strongest reader you can be. People always suggest the economist, I've never personally read it but I would suggest finding something dense to read that you're interested in. Since I was interested in the philosophy books I enjoyed reading them, even though I found myself having to read chapters over and over again until I understood something. It was grueling but like I said, it really helped. My friend is an English Major and at the start of her prep she was going -3/4 in RC. Correlation doesn't show causation but I really believe her skill was due to the fact that she was a strong reader because she had to read countless books (a lot of difficult ones might I add) for her major. So buy the RC prep books, they will definitely help, but I really think your best prep is to find some reading you enjoy that is dense and makes you work to understand the text.

I was a philosophy major and I know what you're talking about RE: dense material that's hard to understand. TBH, I don't think philosophy has helped me at all with RC (although I had an almost perfect score on LR on my diagnostic, which I attribute to my philosophy background). Philosophy trained my brain to read slowly and deliberately, so my problem when it comes to the RC section is that I over-analyze the text and take too long. I've tried to speed-read, and while that allows me to complete the section it also has a negative impact on my accuracy which completely off-sets any gains I've made from answering every question.

So, what I'm hoping to find is something that helps me speed-read without sacrificing accuracy. I have to rework my brain because I've become accustomed to spending several minutes performing critical analysis on every single paragraph within a given writing. On the RC section you can't afford to parse every piece of the text for meaning and implication.

pittsburghpirates

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:02 am

Post removed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”