Logistical/general questions about taking LSAT this June

deant286

Logistical/general questions about taking LSAT this June

Postby deant286 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I will be taking the June LSAT in about a week and I had a couple questions I was hoping someone could clear up for me.

First of all, once a section is done, do you still have access to the answer sheet/bubbles from that section? Or are they sealed off somehow after the respective section is over? I ask so that I can plan out how I will be guessing on any remaining questions if I were to run out of time (which, for the record, hasn't happened to me in the last several months worth of PTs, but I just want to be prepared). For example, if I only have 15 seconds left on a section with 2-3 unanswered questions and the questions will be sealed off to me afterwords, I would use those 15 seconds just to fill in the bubbles in order to get an answer down. However, if I still have the opportunity to fill in bubbles at random after the section is over, I would use those 15 seconds to answer as best as possible one of the questions and then guess on the rest after. I apologize if I am implying that I will be doing something considered to be against the rules on the LSAT, I am just unaware of exactly how it works and want to be clear for the exam.

How similar is the actual test booklet to the PTs? Should i expect as much, or less, space to be able to draw out LG rules etc.? Is the answer sheet commonly found for download for the PTs similar to that of the actual test?

Also, if I am expected to be at my testing center by 12:30 pm on test day, how soon after should I expect that the actual examination will start? Should I expect to be taking it within 15 minutes? 30? 45?

Thanks to anybody that answers, I know that my questions may sound stupid/irrelevant, but I just want to be clear.

Good luck to anyone else taking the exam in a few short days.

cbbinnyc

Re: Logistical/general questions about taking LSAT this June

Postby cbbinnyc » Sat May 30, 2015 12:21 pm

First of all, once a section is done, do you still have access to the answer sheet/bubbles from that section? Or are they sealed off somehow after the respective section is over? I ask so that I can plan out how I will be guessing on any remaining questions if I were to run out of time (which, for the record, hasn't happened to me in the last several months worth of PTs, but I just want to be prepared). For example, if I only have 15 seconds left on a section with 2-3 unanswered questions and the questions will be sealed off to me afterwords, I would use those 15 seconds just to fill in the bubbles in order to get an answer down. However, if I still have the opportunity to fill in bubbles at random after the section is over, I would use those 15 seconds to answer as best as possible one of the questions and then guess on the rest after. I apologize if I am implying that I will be doing something considered to be against the rules on the LSAT, I am just unaware of exactly how it works and want to be clear for the exam.

No, the bubbles to each section are not sealed off. Technically you cannot go back to a section once it's over ... but if you're talking about filling in guesses on a couple questions you'll probably be fine. I'm careful about following the rules, as the proctors are pretty vigilant in my experience, but that's just me.

How similar is the actual test booklet to the PTs? Should i expect as much, or less, space to be able to draw out LG rules etc.? Is the answer sheet commonly found for download for the PTs similar to that of the actual test?

Exactly the same ... except be aware that they started giving much more room for work in the LG section a few years ago (which is reflected in the PrepTests).

Also, if I am expected to be at my testing center by 12:30 pm on test day, how soon after should I expect that the actual examination will start? Should I expect to be taking it within 15 minutes? 30? 45?

I'm sure it depends. I've only taken the test once, but it took about an hour at my test center. Between late arrivals, people who didn't read the directions about test rules and conduct, dividing people into rooms, etc etc, it's a long wait. I would recommend bringing some photocopies of practice questions and ditching them when you actually are on your way to the room.

Good luck!

deant286

Postby deant286 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the quick and thorough response.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat May 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Bubbling in or changing answers on your answer sheet for a section after time for that section has ended is strictly prohibited by LSAC's test day rules. If you do it and a proctor notices, they are REQUIRED to write you up and report you to LSAC for test day misconduct, which usually leads to LSAC cancelling your score and putting a note on your CAS report that your score was withheld/cancelled by LSAC because you were caught and cited for misconduct.

Don't do it! People get caught and written up by the proctors for bubbling in a section column on the answer sheet after time has expired at every administration, especially people that bubble in even just one or a few bubbles within seconds after a proctor has announced pencils down for the section since that's when the proctors tend to be the most vigilant about watching all test takers at the same time to see if anyone didn't immediately obey the 'time's up, pencils down' command during the very short time (10-30 seconds typically) until the time keeper proctor announces that you may begin the next section.

Having test day misconduct noted on your CAS report that law schools you apply to receive is a great way to seriously hurt your admissions chances even if you get a great score the next time from a re-take.

The proctors at most test centers are very strict by the book with the zero tolerance test day rules of things and actions that are prohibited by LSAC.

Here's the long list of test day rules, policies, prohibited items and actions, etc.:
http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”