The Official December 2015 Study Group

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedofsandimas

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby tedofsandimas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
For drilling I would cover up the ACs and eliminate them based off the specific wording/ words. Like I would circle the exact word that made them wrong. Really helped me eliminate things for a reason.

I hadn't thought of doing that, thanks for the idea.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

PlanetExpress

Postby PlanetExpress » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:06 pm

flash21 wrote:Do you guys think I should focus on individual games or sections? I'm doing individual ones from the cambridge package but they are so familiar since I drilled them to death it feels useless. I don't have any new LG sections though, I'd just be doing repeats

Even though they may be familiar, you could try making yourself prove out why each correct AC is correct. So, this way, you're not choosing B for example just because you remember that it was B. And, heck, try out the four wrong answer choices, too, and prove out why they're wrong.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Post removed...

McJimJam

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slizerd

Postby slizerd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:16 pm

When studying for the Oct test, I used the LSAT trainer and it helped immeasurably, but I know some people swear by the Powerscore bibles. Is there anything extra/different from the Trainer in those that could help up my score? Is it worth reading them at this point?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Post removed...

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Post removed...

slizerd

Postby slizerd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:35 pm

gamerish wrote:
slizerd wrote:When studying for the Oct test, I used the LSAT trainer and it helped immeasurably, but I know some people swear by the Powerscore bibles. Is there anything extra/different from the Trainer in those that could help up my score? Is it worth reading them at this point?

If you're not consistently going -0 or -1 on LG, I'd read the LG Bible. The Trainer is very lacking when it comes to teaching LG.

I actually really like the way the Trainer taught LG; maybe it's just because I haven't compared it to the LG Bible. Luckily at this point my LG is a consistent -0/-1, so I'm just trying to maintain that. It's RC and the "find the similar flaw in reasoning" in LG that's killing me =/

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slizerd

Postby slizerd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:40 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
slizerd wrote:
gamerish wrote:
slizerd wrote:When studying for the Oct test, I used the LSAT trainer and it helped immeasurably, but I know some people swear by the Powerscore bibles. Is there anything extra/different from the Trainer in those that could help up my score? Is it worth reading them at this point?

If you're not consistently going -0 or -1 on LG, I'd read the LG Bible. The Trainer is very lacking when it comes to teaching LG.

I actually really like the way the Trainer taught LG; maybe it's just because I haven't compared it to the LG Bible. Luckily at this point my LG is a consistent -0/-1, so I'm just trying to maintain that. It's RC and the "find the similar flaw in reasoning" in LG that's killing me =/

Reading Comp is the bane of my existence. I really struggle with the questions that ask for a most strongly supported inference, and I rarely get to the last passage with more than eight minutes. I'm not sure what to do to increase my speed either :(

What's really helped me so far is reading a bunch of textbook style, dense material and writing down the main point, the author's opinion, supporting details, etc. It helps get me in the necessary mindset for the real thing.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:47 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
slizerd wrote:
gamerish wrote:

Reading Comp is the bane of my existence. I really struggle with the questions that ask for a most strongly supported inference, and I rarely get to the last passage with more than eight minutes. I'm not sure what to do to increase my speed either :(

haven't read your other posts about RC. Have you tried manhattans RC book? It helped me a ton and others have had great luck with it

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylemolodets

Postby kylemolodets » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:57 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Yayyyyy finally broke 165 after breaking 160 end of September and having a full month of 161-163 with a 159 and a 164 thrown in there. I need to get consistent at RC. I'm finally killing the first but I am wasting too much time, some tests I don't even make it to Passage 4. I know 165 could be an outlier but It feels good seeing that score. My biggest fear is a super test day drop and getting like a 150 on Dec. My goal is too start getting the 165 to be consistent and hopefully get these last few points and hopefully get that 170+!

PT 74: 161 Br: 173

LR:~14

LG: ~4 (Ran out of time which hasn't happened since I first started prepping. For some reason I felt sluggish going through the third game but I understood the rules ughhhh)

RC: ~8

PT 65: 165 BR 171

LR: ~10

LG: ~1

RC: ~9

Congrats! I got 157 in June and hadn't picked up studying until a month and a half ago, took my first PT last week and got 165, I was thrilled! My breakdown was almost the exact same as yours too. I try and drill LG every day just for practice but I really need to focus on my LR and RC.

EDIT: I'm at the point where I feel really overwhelmed and have so many things to do that I just can't do them all. It sucks getting home and feeling like I can't do anything because studying is constantly weighing over my head, even after putting in so many hours that day. Ughhhhh. Tomorrow I get to find some dank store in Moscow that will print off all my PDF LSATs, that should be fun.
Last edited by kylemolodets on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cochran

Postby Cochran » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:04 pm

flash21 wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:
slizerd wrote:
gamerish wrote:

haven't read your other posts about RC. Have you tried manhattans RC book? It helped me a ton and others have had great luck with it

I also struggle mightily with RC. I head read through the Manhattan RC guide (3rd edition) in a couple of days, and kinda just tossed it aside. I really didn't see anything profound in it, but that could be because I rushed through it. Will look at again more deliberately and see if anything sticks this time.

BroManDude

Post removed.

Postby BroManDude » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by BroManDude on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylemolodets

Postby kylemolodets » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:10 pm

BroManDudeManBro wrote:Ayyyyyyy.

Did another PT today. 167. Completely bombed the last RC passage (4/6 wrong), fatigue thing. Just going to do a bunch of RC's back to back to work on that.

Mainly just trying to stay calm, maintain my score, and make slight improvements. Just want to ensure I don't choke again on test day. I find being fairly apathetic when doing PTs or timed sections helps. Like if I go in with the "yolo I don't care" mind, my nerves don't get the best of me.

I feel you man, ultimate dgaf helps me out so much

bnssweeney

Postby bnssweeney » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:21 pm

gamerish wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Holy crap having to go to the library again is awful.

bnssweeney

Postby bnssweeney » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:21 pm

About how long after score release does it take for JY to put up LG explanations?

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:33 pm

kylemolodets wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:Yayyyyy finally broke 165 after breaking 160 end of September and having a full month of 161-163 with a 159 and a 164 thrown in there. I need to get consistent at RC. I'm finally killing the first but I am wasting too much time, some tests I don't even make it to Passage 4. I know 165 could be an outlier but It feels good seeing that score. My biggest fear is a super test day drop and getting like a 150 on Dec. My goal is too start getting the 165 to be consistent and hopefully get these last few points and hopefully get that 170+!

PT 74: 161 Br: 173

LR:~14

LG: ~4 (Ran out of time which hasn't happened since I first started prepping. For some reason I felt sluggish going through the third game but I understood the rules ughhhh)

RC: ~8

PT 65: 165 BR 171

LR: ~10

LG: ~1

RC: ~9

Congrats! I got 157 in June and hadn't picked up studying until a month and a half ago, took my first PT last week and got 165, I was thrilled! My breakdown was almost the exact same as yours too. I try and drill LG every day just for practice but I really need to focus on my LR and RC.

EDIT: I'm at the point where I feel really overwhelmed and have so many things to do that I just can't do them all. It sucks getting home and feeling like I can't do anything because studying is constantly weighing over my head, even after putting in so many hours that day. Ughhhhh. Tomorrow I get to find some dank store in Moscow that will print off all my PDF LSATs, that should be fun.

Thanks! I'm totally like that with games it seems so much "easier," to drill them! Just put one foot in front of the other, do a little bit everyday! Maybe force yourself to do one section a day w/intense review(So probably 35 + 40min to an hour of review). Every day do that, than if you do anything else on that day it will feel like extra! Lol

I took the LG section from PT 45 this morning and I hope we get a section like that in December. I looked at my watch after finishing the fourth game and I was like 12 minutes left I must have messed up! Lol

Also I think tomorrow instead of PTing, I'm going to drill my weaknesses. I seem to be struggling, MSS, Flaw, NA, and Strengthen questions. What PT calculator do you guys use? I started inputting my scores in the one Strategy Prep has created and I really like it so far. It gives you a clean breakdown by question type of what you missed. It also has a little mark if you ran out of time so it excluded all lucky guesses.

Danimals18

Postby Danimals18 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:37 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
What PT calculator do you guys use? I started inputting my scores in the one Strategy Prep has created and I really like it so far. It gives you a clean breakdown by question type of what you missed. It also has a little mark if you ran out of time so it excluded all lucky guesses.

Also curious what you guys use.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:43 pm

Cochran wrote:
flash21 wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:
slizerd wrote:
gamerish wrote:

I also struggle mightily with RC. I head read through the Manhattan RC guide (3rd edition) in a couple of days, and kinda just tossed it aside. I really didn't see anything profound in it, but that could be because I rushed through it. Will look at again more deliberately and see if anything sticks this time.

follow their steps (pear, scale , map) and internalize it. I found out I actually had NO process when approaching RC .. was just kind of freestyling. Manhattan helps with building great habits. I skipped all the drills and stuff, pretty unncessecary IMO

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”