The Official December 2015 Study Group

WMcGregs

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby WMcGregs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:55 am

Blind reviewed the first 2 sections of PT 36. LR 1 I went -5. Was disappointed in myself for that, especially after seeing the dumb mistakes I made. Then went -8 in RC. There was a science passage about hormones and homeostasis which ripped my mind apart. Every passage took < 8min but that took 14 and answered almost all of them wrong. Anyone have pointers for getting through passages that use science? Distracts me every time lol.

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:14 am

WMcGregs wrote:Blind reviewed the first 2 sections of PT 36. LR 1 I went -5. Was disappointed in myself for that, especially after seeing the dumb mistakes I made. Then went -8 in RC. There was a science passage about hormones and homeostasis which ripped my mind apart. Every passage took < 8min but that took 14 and answered almost all of them wrong. Anyone have pointers for getting through passages that use science? Distracts me every time lol.

I'm in the same boat. Any pointers for science passages will be appreciated here too.

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:38 am

FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:Finished up the Most Strongly Supported review. Some of the harder questions took a bit to get through, but parsing of language proved very useful and allowed me to only miss 2/20.

On to Introduction To Logic tomorrow. I plan on putting in some serious hours this weekend!

Damn , Nice! What questions are you using to review? I am using the Cambridge Packets.

I am using questions provided by 7Sage. They are all pulled from the first 35 or so LSATs, so it is kind of like drilling from the packets.

Once I get more of an idea of my weak areas, I will be getting the Cambridge packets and drilling away.

Glad to hear of everyone's progress, let's keep it up!

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:56 am

FSUHopeful wrote:
WMcGregs wrote:Blind reviewed the first 2 sections of PT 36. LR 1 I went -5. Was disappointed in myself for that, especially after seeing the dumb mistakes I made. Then went -8 in RC. There was a science passage about hormones and homeostasis which ripped my mind apart. Every passage took < 8min but that took 14 and answered almost all of them wrong. Anyone have pointers for getting through passages that use science? Distracts me every time lol.

I'm in the same boat. Any pointers for science passages will be appreciated here too.

I haven't really began to dive into RC; I wish I could help!

When I get there, I will try to help as much as I can!

WMcGregs

Postby WMcGregs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:59 am

YupSports wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:

From what I've read here on TLS, RC is the hardest to improve in, I haven't spent too much time on it, mostly have been drilling LR. RC is definitely a challenge for me. I have to improve greatly if I want to break 170. LG has been fairly easy for me. The time is what is the biggest challenge, but I normally complete a section with blind review under 40 minutes with -0 to -2.

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:13 am

WMcGregs wrote:
YupSports wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:

From what I've read here on TLS, RC is the hardest to improve in, I haven't spent too much time on it, mostly have been drilling LR. RC is definitely a challenge for me. I have to improve greatly if I want to break 170. LG has been fairly easy for me. The time is what is the biggest challenge, but I normally complete a section with blind review under 40 minutes with -0 to -2.

I will probably continue to employ the same mantra I do every time I take a PT and feel myself freaking out about time:

Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast

acacius

Postby acacius » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:09 pm

adpitan wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:Anyone done LawschoolI's "Mastermind" Study group? I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

No, but I did see the email about it. I'm curious as well

Sorry if someone already answered this question, but I'll give my opinion on it, since a 2nd opinion can't hurt right?

So, I've pulled the trigger on that, and I registered for it, and thus far, I will have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.

I"m sure you know who Evan and Josh are, so I'll jump in.

Evan Jones always answers my questions within a day (Josh Craven is taken up by a life situation - deaths in the family), and he (Evan) is always brutally honest, which I think everyone needs. However, that isn't to say they can't be encouraging! They definitely are, but at the same time, they're almost like a study partner - they tell you how it is - when you really need to hear it.

The courses (they have 4 courses) entail of the "Main Course" and Mini-Courses (LG - Basic Ordering/Advanced Linear/Grouping). The Main Course includes lessons such as Conditional Reasoning, LG, LR (pretty lengthy - very detailed), and a nice summarized section appropriately termed "Practice, Practice, Practice" (full of drills). They have other forum sections (Admissions) - where you can ask for help with your personal statements/admissions questions (which Evan/Josh) help as well. They also have an "Explorations" tab, which they post their video walkthroughs for every single PT (LR/LG) - although I've found it to be partially incomplete, but you can always head over to Manhattan LSAT Prep forum for the walkthroughs/diagrams (LG) and the whatnot.

They also have a good forum which is pretty active with the mind that hundreds are studying for the LSAT and only come on when they have a question. From what I can tell, Evan or Josh are very helpful to every single poster, and they don't just simply post "copy-paste answers." Every answer is original and they strive to be accurate and as helpful as possible.

As for the lessons themselves, they are very simple (not as short) but as in easy to understand. The lessons also include videos and video walkthroughs when they assign a drill for you. Warning - some of the drills they ask for may not be in the LSAC PT books they sell - which I've heard is a good reason to go for the Cambridge LSAT packets (PDFs), since you can print those out and practice them as often as you need too, rather than marking in the LSAT books and having to erase.

Either way, I'd say I'm happy with pulling the trigger on the lawschooli LMG (LSAT Mastermind Group), and I would advise it. It can't hurt, as someone else has already said, law school is a huge investment (tuition costs/3 years of your life) that sometimes, you just can't afford to be cheap about it.

My question to you though, is if you have any experience with the Cambridge LSAT Packets and would recommend me paying $430 for that? (Ironic, I know, with especially what I said above, but just curious on your opinion)

appind

Postby appind » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:50 pm

acacius wrote:
adpitan wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:Anyone done LawschoolI's "Mastermind" Study group? I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

No, but I did see the email about it. I'm curious as well

Sorry if someone already answered this question, but I'll give my opinion on it, since a 2nd opinion can't hurt right?

So, I've pulled the trigger on that, and I registered for it, and thus far, I will have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.

I"m sure you know who Evan and Josh are, so I'll jump in.

Evan Jones always answers my questions within a day (Josh Craven is taken up by a life situation - deaths in the family), and he (Evan) is always brutally honest, which I think everyone needs. However, that isn't to say they can't be encouraging! They definitely are, but at the same time, they're almost like a study partner - they tell you how it is - when you really need to hear it.

The courses (they have 4 courses) entail of the "Main Course" and Mini-Courses (LG - Basic Ordering/Advanced Linear/Grouping). The Main Course includes lessons such as Conditional Reasoning, LG, LR (pretty lengthy - very detailed), and a nice summarized section appropriately termed "Practice, Practice, Practice" (full of drills). They have other forum sections (Admissions) - where you can ask for help with your personal statements/admissions questions (which Evan/Josh) help as well. They also have an "Explorations" tab, which they post their video walkthroughs for every single PT (LR/LG) - although I've found it to be partially incomplete, but you can always head over to Manhattan LSAT Prep forum for the walkthroughs/diagrams (LG) and the whatnot.

They also have a good forum which is pretty active with the mind that hundreds are studying for the LSAT and only come on when they have a question. From what I can tell, Evan or Josh are very helpful to every single poster, and they don't just simply post "copy-paste answers." Every answer is original and they strive to be accurate and as helpful as possible.

As for the lessons themselves, they are very simple (not as short) but as in easy to understand. The lessons also include videos and video walkthroughs when they assign a drill for you. Warning - some of the drills they ask for may not be in the LSAC PT books they sell - which I've heard is a good reason to go for the Cambridge LSAT packets (PDFs), since you can print those out and practice them as often as you need too, rather than marking in the LSAT books and having to erase.

Either way, I'd say I'm happy with pulling the trigger on the lawschooli LMG (LSAT Mastermind Group), and I would advise it. It can't hurt, as someone else has already said, law school is a huge investment (tuition costs/3 years of your life) that sometimes, you just can't afford to be cheap about it.

My question to you though, is if you have any experience with the Cambridge LSAT Packets and would recommend me paying $430 for that? (Ironic, I know, with especially what I said above, but just curious on your opinion)

are you referring only to mastermind group or courses with lawschooli? their mastermind program at least from the web page seems bit vague and loose in that one can't be sure how attentive they would personally be to members. the description says that the program gives one a prioritized access to them whatever that means. did anyone else find their web page also sort of not well made? it'd never load well in the browser, makes one wonder how seriously they take their members.

acacius

Postby acacius » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:09 pm

are you referring only to mastermind group or courses with lawschooli? their mastermind program at least from the web page seems bit vague and loose in that one can't be sure how attentive they would personally be to members. the description says that the program gives one a prioritized access to them whatever that means. did anyone else find their web page also sort of not well made? it'd never load well in the browser, makes one wonder how seriously they take their members.

I am referring to the LMG part only, not courses with lawschooli. I did find the website slow to load at times, but this may be just personal preference, but I do not care much for the visual appeal of a webpage, as long as it provides assistance. The prioritized access is video walkthroughs/personal interaction with Evan/Josh (within a day).

I'm not saying one should solely use lawschooli, as the use of a single source can be dangerous, which is why I'm going with different sources (PowerScore, LSAT Trainer, LSAC PTs, and possibly Cambridge LSAT packets). I'm just saying I found lawschooli helpful, but other sources can be helpful (7sage, Manhattan prep, this forum, etc..)

adpitan

Postby adpitan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:53 pm

acacius wrote:

I am referring to the LMG part only, not courses with lawschooli. I did find the website slow to load at times, but this may be just personal preference, but I do not care much for the visual appeal of a webpage, as long as it provides assistance. The prioritized access is video walkthroughs/personal interaction with Evan/Josh (within a day).

I'm not saying one should solely use lawschooli, as the use of a single source can be dangerous, which is why I'm going with different sources (PowerScore, LSAT Trainer, LSAC PTs, and possibly Cambridge LSAT packets). I'm just saying I found lawschooli helpful, but other sources can be helpful (7sage, Manhattan prep, this forum, etc..)

Hi,

Right now the only resources I'm using are BluePrint and I have PowerScore workbooks and I have access to LSAT Prep by Nova and McGraw-Hill. I haven't had too much of a chance to dig in but am also trying to not overwhelm myself by having too many materials.

acacius

Postby acacius » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi,

Right now the only resources I'm using are BluePrint and I have PowerScore workbooks and I have access to LSAT Prep by Nova and McGraw-Hill. I haven't had too much of a chance to dig in but am also trying to not overwhelm myself by having too many materials.

That is a really smart choice, but I thought the consensus was that the best book to buy thus far were

The LSAT Trainer
The LG/LR/RC PowerScore books
All the LSAC PT books
Cambridge Packets (for drilling)

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, I've been researching the TLS forums pretty much for the whole day trying to compile my list of books/materials to purchase. (Began studying for the October LSAT 1 month ago, but decided to push the test date to December.) That's how I goti nto this LMG group thing.

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:48 am

acacius wrote:
Hi,

That is a really smart choice, but I thought the consensus was that the best book to buy thus far were

The LSAT Trainer
The LG/LR/RC PowerScore books
All the LSAC PT books
Cambridge Packets (for drilling)

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, I've been researching the TLS forums pretty much for the whole day trying to compile my list of books/materials to purchase. (Began studying for the October LSAT 1 month ago, but decided to push the test date to December.) That's how I goti nto this LMG group thing.

I use all of those as well. Were you talking about the Mastermind group or no? I was confused.

acacius

Postby acacius » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:59 am

I use all of those as well. Were you talking about the Mastermind group or no? I was confused.

Yes I was, I was just simply saying that while the LMG group works for me, it may not be what you are looking for, that's all I'm saying. I was just warning you that my personal experience may not be what you want. No worries.

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41 am

I feel I need an in classroom full time program. Unfortunately, my family and I can't swing that cost right now.

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:47 am

Put in a few hours on basic logic last night.

After running some errands, I'm going to get back at it today.

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Just did PT 50. RC -4 LR1 - 3 LG -11 LR2- 5 Reviewing now. HATE LG. Last two were hard..

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:12 pm

FSUHopeful wrote:Just did PT 50. RC -4 LR1 - 3 LG -11 LR2- 5 Reviewing now. HATE LG. Last two were hard..

From what I hear LG is the most "learnable", though!

Just keep plugging away!

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:32 pm

YupSports wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:Just did PT 50. RC -4 LR1 - 3 LG -11 LR2- 5 Reviewing now. HATE LG. Last two were hard..

Just keep plugging away!

Ive heard that too, from a couple of sources. Still waiting though.. haha. Good thing is I finished LR and RC with 3-4 min to go.. was worried about timing.

WMcGregs

Postby WMcGregs » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:56 pm

FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:

Just keep plugging away!

Ive heard that too, from a couple of sources. Still waiting though.. haha. Good thing is I finished LR and RC with 3-4 min to go.. was worried about timing.

Besides the LG you did really well. Especially since we have 5 months till the test. I'm the opposite. RC kills me but LG is easy for me. I get too caught up in the subjects of RC passages.

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:09 pm

WMcGregs wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:

Just keep plugging away!

Besides the LG you did really well. Especially since we have 5 months till the test. I'm the opposite. RC kills me but LG is easy for me. I get too caught up in the subjects of RC passages.

Like I said before the hard core science ones trip me up. Most others are ok. I'm a 4th grade teacher, so I teach RC albeit in a smaller scale..

1234yunjunf

Postby 1234yunjunf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:15 am

Checking in for december LSAT.
Question: I barely started working on LR Bible, so I'm wondering how much time I should invest in going through all the materials (Bible, Manhattan, Cambridge Drills) before I move on to prepping for tests for december lsat?

This is a different point, but I am also considering applying for next period (class of 2020) but that makes me 28 (close to 29) by the time I graduate law school, and I just graduated from college this May and have been putting all of my time prepping for LSAT. If I do apply for the next round, I will be studying for LSAT for almost a year and a half in umemployed state.. (yes, I graduated from college a bit older than other friends bc I graduate hs a bit late -- personal reasons) Am I worrying myself over some stupid thoughts? I do have a clear goal of what I want to do when I become a lawyer, that's why I am trying to devote all of my time on LSAT that can get me into T14 and above. (Basically, my mindset is like why waste time over something else when I know what I want?) Suggestions and advice appreciated!

WMcGregs

Postby WMcGregs » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:47 am

1234yunjunf wrote:Checking in for december LSAT.
Question: I barely started working on LR Bible, so I'm wondering how much time I should invest in going through all the materials (Bible, Manhattan, Cambridge Drills) before I move on to prepping for tests for december lsat?

This is a different point, but I am also considering applying for next period (class of 2020) but that makes me 28 (close to 29) by the time I graduate law school, and I just graduated from college this May and have been putting all of my time prepping for LSAT. If I do apply for the next round, I will be studying for LSAT for almost a year and a half in umemployed state.. (yes, I graduated from college a bit older than other friends bc I graduate hs a bit late -- personal reasons) Am I worrying myself over some stupid thoughts? I do have a clear goal of what I want to do when I become a lawyer, that's why I am trying to devote all of my time on LSAT that can get me into T14 and above. (Basically, my mindset is like why waste time over something else when I know what I want?) Suggestions and advice appreciated!

I think you have enough time to score very well in December if you put the time in. I have been studying since June, around 2-3 hours a day. Skipping about 2 days a week. I have improved dramatically. I scored a 143 on my cold diagnostic. I haven't taken another strict test but I'm blind reviewing around a 168. So if you put the time in you will improve.

Aquila

Postby Aquila » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 am

Tentatively checking in. Deposited at a T2 for this fall but basically decided on retake and reapplying. One thing i have heard about how to improve RC is to read dense literature such as the economist and scientific american.

Previous Takes 157-160
Cold diagnostic June 2013 143
Cold diagnostic (haven't looked at anything LSAT for 8 month) July 2015- 159

Goals 170+ to pair with that crisp 3.93 LsacGPA

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:31 pm

Wow.. feeling intimidated with these high scores guys..Im the low man in here it looks like.

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 pm

What is the main difference between "Most Strongly Supported" and "Must Be True" questions? Should we attack them with totally different strategies?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”