The Official December 2015 Study Group

User avatar
YupSports
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby YupSports » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:07 pm

LawA818 wrote:
YupSports wrote:Welcome to the thread, Binghamton!

So, this weekend was not as productive as I had liked. I simply adjusted my study schedule a bit, so I will still be following the same "roadmap".

With that being said, I reviewed any answer I wasn't 100% about (from my first PT) and turned over the logic in my head until the solution made sense.

As far as studying, I am using:

1) A schedule provided by 7Sage as I take the online course.
2) While not taking PTs, I employ the Pomodoro Technique, as it helps me stay focused. (http://pomodorotechnique.com/). There are many Google Chrome extensions to help you implement this.
3) I am also using the "Don't Break The Chain" (http://lifehacker.com/5886128/how-seinf ... on-problem) to keep the study schedule consistent.

I found all of these recommendations in a "Doing Well In Law School" thread - I will do my best to locate it at some point.

How is everyone's prep going?



What's the pomodoro technique, in a nutshell.



25 minutes of focused work followed by 5 minute breaks. Every 4 "cycles" you get a 15 minute break.

I find this technique to really helps me focus and make the best use of my limited time. I don't find myself reading and not comprehending or going off on web-browsing tangents. Knowing I have the upcoming 5 minute break to read the interesting article I saw or grab a snack keeps me on-task.

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:14 pm

YupSports wrote:
LawA818 wrote:
YupSports wrote:Welcome to the thread, Binghamton!

So, this weekend was not as productive as I had liked. I simply adjusted my study schedule a bit, so I will still be following the same "roadmap".

With that being said, I reviewed any answer I wasn't 100% about (from my first PT) and turned over the logic in my head until the solution made sense.

As far as studying, I am using:

1) A schedule provided by 7Sage as I take the online course.
2) While not taking PTs, I employ the Pomodoro Technique, as it helps me stay focused. (http://pomodorotechnique.com/). There are many Google Chrome extensions to help you implement this.
3) I am also using the "Don't Break The Chain" (http://lifehacker.com/5886128/how-seinf ... on-problem) to keep the study schedule consistent.

I found all of these recommendations in a "Doing Well In Law School" thread - I will do my best to locate it at some point.

How is everyone's prep going?



What's the pomodoro technique, in a nutshell.



25 minutes of focused work followed by 5 minute breaks. Every 4 "cycles" you get a 15 minute break.

I find this technique to really helps me focus and make the best use of my limited time. I don't find myself reading and not comprehending or going off on web-browsing tangents. Knowing I have the upcoming 5 minute break to read the interesting article I saw or grab a snack keeps me on-task.



Sounds perfect for a guy like me.

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Having to go over Principle questions today .. threw me for a loop first time.. starting to get them now.

User avatar
YupSports
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby YupSports » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Went over most strongly supported again tonight for about 2.5 hours.

I feel much more confident about them now.

My philosophy is focus on nailing the concepts and mechanics of the question types right now. This means really diving into a problem if I don't 1) understand why the correct answer is correct and 2) don't understand why all the wrong answers are wrong. It certainly takes some time, but I think it will allow me to focus more on the truly tough questions in the long run,

User avatar
WMcGregs
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby WMcGregs » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 pm

I have been studying the past month and a half for the October test and have been making great progress. I came to the realization that I should just be preparing for the December test because I cannot apply anywhere until I receive my fall semester grades. So I am giving myself more time to prepare in order to break the 170's. I currently have read the PS LR and LG and have been drilling a lot of LR.

So I hope to talk to you all a lot in the next few months! Is everyone aiming for T14? or are some of you looking toward your regional schools?

User avatar
YupSports
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby YupSports » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:28 am

WMcGregs wrote:I have been studying the past month and a half for the October test and have been making great progress. I came to the realization that I should just be preparing for the December test because I cannot apply anywhere until I receive my fall semester grades. So I am giving myself more time to prepare in order to break the 170's. I currently have read the PS LR and LG and have been drilling a lot of LR.

So I hope to talk to you all a lot in the next few months! Is everyone aiming for T14? or are some of you looking toward your regional schools?


I am aiming for T14, as well as a few schools around the country.

My GPA is less-than-stellar so it is imperative that I crack the 170s.

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:34 am

WMcGregs wrote:I have been studying the past month and a half for the October test and have been making great progress. I came to the realization that I should just be preparing for the December test because I cannot apply anywhere until I receive my fall semester grades. So I am giving myself more time to prepare in order to break the 170's. I currently have read the PS LR and LG and have been drilling a lot of LR.

So I hope to talk to you all a lot in the next few months! Is everyone aiming for T14? or are some of you looking toward your regional schools?



As my username indicates... Im aiming for Florida State. Will settle for one of the other in state schools as well. Almost went to Nova this fall, but couldn't do the price tag...

User avatar
joeycxxxx09
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby joeycxxxx09 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:40 am

Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 am

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?


I don't feel like I'm ready to score my best if I took it in October.

User avatar
joeycxxxx09
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby joeycxxxx09 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:52 am

FSUHopeful wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?


I don't feel like I'm ready to score my best if I took it in October.


I still don't think it's a bad idea to do a practice run in October. Especially if you plan on applying in 2016. I took the June and I missed 12 on the games section when I was averaging -2 wrong. After that section I knew immediately that I would have to retake, so I am retaking in October. I think actually taking the test will be beneficial to me in October, I did tons of practice tests and it still was just a different experience. And most schools, including FSU, only take your highest score. If you miss your target in December that would be bad news for the 16 cycle. Just some thought

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:56 am

joeycxxxx09 wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?


I don't feel like I'm ready to score my best if I took it in October.


I still don't think it's a bad idea to do a practice run in October. Especially if you plan on applying in 2016. I took the June and I missed 12 on the games section when I was averaging -2 wrong. After that section I knew immediately that I would have to retake, so I am retaking in October. I think actually taking the test will be beneficial to me in October, I did tons of practice tests and it still was just a different experience. And most schools, including FSU, only take your highest score. If you miss your target in December that would be bad news for the 16 cycle. Just some thought



Took it twice already, Last June 2014 and October 2014.

User avatar
joeycxxxx09
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby joeycxxxx09 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:00 am

FSUHopeful wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?


I don't feel like I'm ready to score my best if I took it in October.


I still don't think it's a bad idea to do a practice run in October. Especially if you plan on applying in 2016. I took the June and I missed 12 on the games section when I was averaging -2 wrong. After that section I knew immediately that I would have to retake, so I am retaking in October. I think actually taking the test will be beneficial to me in October, I did tons of practice tests and it still was just a different experience. And most schools, including FSU, only take your highest score. If you miss your target in December that would be bad news for the 16 cycle. Just some thought



Took it twice already, Last June 2014 and October 2014.


Pretty sure you could take October and then December if you wanted, it would be outside of the year for 3. Not positive tho

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:01 am

joeycxxxx09 wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?


I don't feel like I'm ready to score my best if I took it in October.


I still don't think it's a bad idea to do a practice run in October. Especially if you plan on applying in 2016. I took the June and I missed 12 on the games section when I was averaging -2 wrong. After that section I knew immediately that I would have to retake, so I am retaking in October. I think actually taking the test will be beneficial to me in October, I did tons of practice tests and it still was just a different experience. And most schools, including FSU, only take your highest score. If you miss your target in December that would be bad news for the 16 cycle. Just some thought



Took it twice already, Last June 2014 and October 2014.


Pretty sure you could take October and then December if you wanted, it would be outside of the year for 3. Not positive tho


Thanks for the help.. appreciate it!

User avatar
WMcGregs
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby WMcGregs » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 am

Taking the October exam isn't a bad idea then. I'm mainly aiming for regional schools for me, emory, UGA, and Georgia state if the first 2 do not work out.

Might as well take both tests just in case I do very well in October, couldn't hurt.

User avatar
YupSports
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby YupSports » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:40 am

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?



I just feel I wouldn't do well on the test.

I am currently working about 50 hours a week, so my test-prep is a bit more "slow and steady" than I would like.

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:54 am

YupSports wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?



I just feel I wouldn't do well on the test.

I am currently working about 50 hours a week, so my test-prep is a bit more "slow and steady" than I would like.



Sounds like me.. Im a non trad. student, 39, with a wife and kids. I'm a teacher, and I'm always at school. I'm trying to get a bulk of my studying done now during the summer when I can.

User avatar
YupSports
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby YupSports » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:40 pm

FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?



I just feel I wouldn't do well on the test.

I am currently working about 50 hours a week, so my test-prep is a bit more "slow and steady" than I would like.



Sounds like me.. Im a non trad. student, 39, with a wife and kids. I'm a teacher, and I'm always at school. I'm trying to get a bulk of my studying done now during the summer when I can.


Hopefully we can keep each other motivated! FSU is on my shortlist!

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:57 pm

YupSports wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?



I just feel I wouldn't do well on the test.

I am currently working about 50 hours a week, so my test-prep is a bit more "slow and steady" than I would like.



Sounds like me.. Im a non trad. student, 39, with a wife and kids. I'm a teacher, and I'm always at school. I'm trying to get a bulk of my studying done now during the summer when I can.


Hopefully we can keep each other motivated! FSU is on my shortlist!


VERY cool.. I got you. My boy Dasani 13 on here, studied with, me took it, and got into BU, so I'm looking for another study partner or two.

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Just finished Method of Reasoning Cambridge packet.. 87 percent.. the last 2 difficulty levels killed me.

User avatar
YupSports
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby YupSports » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:53 pm

FSUHopeful wrote:Just finished Method of Reasoning Cambridge packet.. 87 percent.. the last 2 difficulty levels killed me.


Just think though - when you are able to get those down you are going to own that question type.

User avatar
YupSports
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby YupSports » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Finished up the Most Strongly Supported review. Some of the harder questions took a bit to get through, but parsing of language proved very useful and allowed me to only miss 2/20.

On to Introduction To Logic tomorrow. I plan on putting in some serious hours this weekend!

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:00 pm

YupSports wrote:Finished up the Most Strongly Supported review. Some of the harder questions took a bit to get through, but parsing of language proved very useful and allowed me to only miss 2/20.

On to Introduction To Logic tomorrow. I plan on putting in some serious hours this weekend!

Damn , Nice! What questions are you using to review? I am using the Cambridge Packets.

User avatar
WMcGregs
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby WMcGregs » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:01 pm

FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?



I just feel I wouldn't do well on the test.

I am currently working about 50 hours a week, so my test-prep is a bit more "slow and steady" than I would like.



Sounds like me.. Im a non trad. student, 39, with a wife and kids. I'm a teacher, and I'm always at school. I'm trying to get a bulk of my studying done now during the summer when I can.


I'm in a similar situation. I have 2 kids and a wife, work full time while finishing the rest of my UG degree with online classes. What really helps is that I have a job where I just sit in a room doing absolutely nothing all day so I sit on my phone drilling LR questions with an app that lets me draw pictures on PDF files. That is where I get a good majority of drilling done, it isn't working with pencil's and paper, but it definitely helps with LR.

FSUHopeful
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:06 pm

WMcGregs wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?



I just feel I wouldn't do well on the test.

I am currently working about 50 hours a week, so my test-prep is a bit more "slow and steady" than I would like.



Sounds like me.. Im a non trad. student, 39, with a wife and kids. I'm a teacher, and I'm always at school. I'm trying to get a bulk of my studying done now during the summer when I can.


I'm in a similar situation. I have 2 kids and a wife, work full time while finishing the rest of my UG degree with online classes. What really helps is that I have a job where I just sit in a room doing absolutely nothing all day so I sit on my phone drilling LR questions with an app that lets me draw pictures on PDF files. That is where I get a good majority of drilling done, it isn't working with pencil's and paper, but it definitely helps with LR.



Thats awesome! The apps I have used are pre loaded with some questions, then have others you can buy to add on. Its nice you have a job where you can do that, i certainly don't.. haha. BTW, read your bio on here, thank you for your service!

User avatar
WMcGregs
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby WMcGregs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:49 am

FSUHopeful wrote:
WMcGregs wrote:
FSUHopeful wrote:
YupSports wrote:
joeycxxxx09 wrote:Can I ask why you guys are planning to take december right now and not october?



I just feel I wouldn't do well on the test.

I am currently working about 50 hours a week, so my test-prep is a bit more "slow and steady" than I would like.



Sounds like me.. Im a non trad. student, 39, with a wife and kids. I'm a teacher, and I'm always at school. I'm trying to get a bulk of my studying done now during the summer when I can.


I'm in a similar situation. I have 2 kids and a wife, work full time while finishing the rest of my UG degree with online classes. What really helps is that I have a job where I just sit in a room doing absolutely nothing all day so I sit on my phone drilling LR questions with an app that lets me draw pictures on PDF files. That is where I get a good majority of drilling done, it isn't working with pencil's and paper, but it definitely helps with LR.



Thats awesome! The apps I have used are pre loaded with some questions, then have others you can buy to add on. Its nice you have a job where you can do that, i certainly don't.. haha. BTW, read your bio on here, thank you for your service!


Thanks for the support.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, jagerbom79 and 5 guests