The Official December 2015 Study Group

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:36 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:40 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phoenix97

Post removed...

Postby Phoenix97 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:40 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Phoenix97 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shakawkaw

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:42 am

In terms of pacing, for newer, untouched PTs that are in the mid-late 70s, the general consensus has been that the last PT you take should be one that you scored highly on, just for a confidence boost. You can do that on Thursday, with light drilling on Friday. If you want to take later PTs that you haven't done yet just to see content and cover all the material, you can break that up into timed sections throughout tomorrow, followed by comprehensive review.

Remember to bring a mini-drill packet while you're waiting to check in on Saturday.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

december1205

Postby december1205 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:49 am

Can't sleep!

roshan07

Postby roshan07 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:02 am

hopefully taking my LAST PT EVER in an hour and a half.

roshan07

Postby roshan07 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:03 am

anyone else taking 76 today?

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:08 am

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

forum_user

Postby forum_user » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:43 am

Anyone wanna help me with PT 74 S1 #17? Strengthen question about purple glass in the Han dynasty.

[+] Spoiler
I actually did get this one right, but only because all the other answers weren't so great so I just picked one and moved on. I'm having a hard time figuring out why all the glass being produced in a small geographic radius strengthens the argument that the purple glass was produced by accident? That doesn't seem like it does anything for the argument, particularly when a "small" radius could mean 1 mile or 100.
The LSAT Hacks explanation doesn't do much for me either, other than verifying that this is in fact a hard question. I still don't see why A does any more than D. If the materials are easily obtainable (as D says), that means any amateur could've tried making white glass, screwed up the process, and oops, purple glass now.

Help??

ETA spoilers
Last edited by forum_user on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

slizerd

Postby slizerd » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:20
WERE WITHIN STRIKING DISTANCE

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:01 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Postby appind » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:19 am

guise,

So i have only PT-73 left as a fresh test. is there anything in this test that makes it must-do before Saturday?

should i take it or this close to Sat it will lead to burnout?

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:23 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

appind

Postby appind » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:28 am

gamerish wrote:If you're not retaking again, I would definitely take it. One test isn't going to push you into burnout.

usually when I take a PT, i am flat out done for the week except a BR the next day, and can't look at the question for the whole week. i guess i burnout a lot faster. wonder if doing it as drills will be useful.

anything unusual in this test?

ugg

Post removed.

Postby ugg » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:33 am

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

shineoncrazydiamond

Postby shineoncrazydiamond » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

Checking in after about a week abroad. Jet lag is much easier going this way. Got pulled aside for secondary screening, searched, and questioned at immigration yesterday. After the "what do you do, who bought your ticket, etc etc" questions they picked up my bag and asked what on earth was in there and I said " study books for a law school entrance exam." The CBP guy opened up the bag and started thumbing through the book, shook his head at an LG and said "better you than me," asked me about my career goals, wished me luck, and waved me on. At this point my connecting flight was boarding...I sprinted across the airport with my shoes off and made it on the plane. Guy in front of me had violated his parole by going to Morocco, so I think I was a pretty easy case.

Good luck all, hope everybody is feeling good! Not far to 180 pages!
Last edited by shineoncrazydiamond on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

contrabergin

Postby contrabergin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:43 am

I've never posted here before so a very late hi to everyone.

Basically I am completely freaking out. Like I've-been-crying-randomly-on-and-off-since-Sunday freaking out. wtf wtf wtf???

My scores in the past week or so has ranged from 176 to 163 (I usually get in the 170's -variable from low to high, idk- and I know I phoned it in on the 163 because of a headache and just being like unable to read for some reason? Like for some reason I literally could not comprehend what the stim's were saying. I'm anxious though that I'm just making excuses for myself and like...I shouldn't? I retook it unreviewed and ended up 171 but I'm afraid that's a bit inflated. Also 171's not where I want to be). I'm aiming for a 175 at least but at this point I am so freaked and I feel like it's just completely out of reach.

Should I just postpone until Feb? I feel like my LR's have taken a dip with the newer PTs, I'm not nearly as confident with them as before and I just don't know anymore.... I still have a PT to BR and two to write down reviews for properly. Might take one more fresh PT before Sat but break it up into chunks and not take it as a whole (that idea just unsettles me right now). Am seriously thinking about postponing though.

How would one even study if you've done most of the PTs and BRd most of them? I have a few fresh ones left (3 or so?) but for the most part I've already done them and I'm worried that if I do postpone I'll end up getting some inflated score all throughout practicing and have the real thing be different.

..help?

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:45 am

Woohoo I hit 170 on PT 62! This was especially awesome because PT 62 was my diagnostic test and I had scored a 138. I'm so excited that I have come this far! This is definitely the confidence boost I needed before Saturday!

DoYouEvenTLS

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:58 am

Does anybody know if the "reporting" building on the LSAT ticket is the actual building that you're going to take the test? I'm taking the exam at my UG institution and I can't fathom the thought of taking the exam in that specific building..
The library seems like such a perfect place to take the exam (underground rooms where outside noise ceases to exist).
Is the "reporting" building just a place that you check in and they send you off to another place on campus to take the exam?

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:03 pm

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:Does anybody know if the "reporting" building on the LSAT ticket is the actual building that you're going to take the test? I'm taking the exam at my UG institution and I can't fathom the thought of taking the exam in that specific building..
The library seems like such a perfect place to take the exam (underground rooms where outside noise ceases to exist).
Is the "reporting" building just a place that you check in and they send you off to another place on campus to take the exam?

For me, this was the case. We checked in at a reporting building, and then we walked to a different building to take the exam in. I am not sure why they did this, as the second building was absolutely appropriate for gathering in before the exam. Also, don't expect LSAC or the person organizing the exam at the location to take any of the other issues you mention into consideration. In my experience, they will pay no mind to what room is the best condition for people to test in. I actually talked about this with one proctor who said they don't take noise considerations into mind at all. "That's not my job" attitude. It sucks.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Post removed...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:09 pm

Post removed...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Post removed...

contrabergin

Postby contrabergin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
contrabergin wrote:I've never posted here before so a very late hi to everyone.

Basically I am completely freaking out. Like I've-been-crying-randomly-on-and-off-since-Sunday freaking out. wtf wtf wtf???

My scores in the past week or so has ranged from 176 to 163 (I usually get in the 170's -variable from low to high, idk- and I know I phoned it in on the 163 because of a headache and just being like unable to read for some reason? Like for some reason I literally could not comprehend what the stim's were saying. I'm anxious though that I'm just making excuses for myself and like...I shouldn't? I retook it unreviewed and ended up 171 but I'm afraid that's a bit inflated. Also 171's not where I want to be). I'm aiming for a 175 at least but at this point I am so freaked and I feel like it's just completely out of reach.

Should I just postpone until Feb? I feel like my LR's have taken a dip with the newer PTs, I'm not nearly as confident with them as before and I just don't know anymore.... I still have a PT to BR and two to write down reviews for properly. Might take one more fresh PT before Sat but break it up into chunks and not take it as a whole (that idea just unsettles me right now). Am seriously thinking about postponing though.

How would one even study if you've done most of the PTs and BRd most of them? I have a few fresh ones left (3 or so?) but for the most part I've already done them and I'm worried that if I do postpone I'll end up getting some inflated score all throughout practicing and have the real thing be different.

..help?

When was the last mental health day you've taken? It sounds like you need a day off to relax. Go hug some puppies or watch crappy TV. Do some things you like to help you de-stress, it can do wonders.

You're scoring mid to high 170s, which means that conceptually and ability wise you have nothing to worry about. Your comments about your 163 tell me your burning out and stressing out. You'll be fine.

You mentioned you do write ups? What I would do, is take one of the recent PTs (73-76) and do a very very thorough write up of it. There's some subtle nuance that happens on the newer tests that, once you can't it, is easy to handle. By doing a write up you can learn to look for that really quickly. Just get really analytical and think about what it going on, and you'll be completely fine.

Maybe take today to do BRing and write up. PT/ drill tomorrow to get confidence back. Take Friday off.

Is this your first take?

Yeah very first take.

That advice sounds good. Thanks so much. I'm super scared right now and I think it's messing with me. Like last week I was reviewing and everything just jumped right out at me and right now I don't know if I'm fuzzy because I feel a little sick whenever I read an LSAT question or I'm not understanding the material properly.

Hopefully today will go better.

forum_user

Postby forum_user » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:18 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
forum_user wrote:Anyone wanna help me with PT 74 S1 #17? Strengthen question about purple glass in the Han dynasty.

[+] Spoiler
I actually did get this one right, but only because all the other answers weren't so great so I just picked one and moved on. I'm having a hard time figuring out why all the glass being produced in a small geographic radius strengthens the argument that the purple glass was produced by accident? That doesn't seem like it does anything for the argument, particularly when a "small" radius could mean 1 mile or 100.
The LSAT Hacks explanation doesn't do much for me either, other than verifying that this is in fact a hard question. I still don't see why A does any more than D. If the materials are easily obtainable (as D says), that means any amateur could've tried making white glass, screwed up the process, and oops, purple glass now.

Help??

[+] Spoiler
the argument tells us that the purple glass shares roughly the same process and ingredients as the super common white glass. Therefore, the argument says it's likely that purple was made during a smelting accident. So what I'm picturing is, maybe a slight change in temperature causes what would be white glass to turn purple? Or maybe a little bit more lead is added. Anyway were trying to say there's a link.

Negate A. What if they were NOT made in the same area? What if the white glass was made in Beijing, and the purple glass was made in like, occupied Mongolia, or someplace really remote. Is it then still likely that purple glass was made as an accident? No, because they weren't making white glass.

I would hope the materials are easily obtainable because the white glass is very common, there's a lot of it. Which means that they need a lot of materials. Since we're told that purple uses the same materials as white, I would assume the materials for purple then are also easy to obtain.
Yes, I think that your amateur hypothetical makes sense, but I think that's an extra jump from D. we don't know how many amateur glass makers there are. And glass making historically was a craft which required years of training. So we can't assume that availability of good leads increase of amateur work which leads this error which creates purple. It doesn't directly strengthen. Whereas A does.

This makes a bit more sense, thanks! I think I originally came into the argument presuming the conclusion/link to be true, rather than approaching it skeptically. If you already think of it as one coming more or less inevitably from the other, than it doesn't matter if they're produced in similar or distinct places. But if you approach it as A happens, B happens in a similar way to A, so A probably caused B--linking them geographically helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”