The Official December 2015 Study Group

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:09 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ltowns1

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:18 pm

I have no clue lol, I know RZ did it in the October thread so it can be done. I would prob. suspect that the moderator would need to be sent a PM.

boslaw56

Postby boslaw56 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Post Removed.
Last edited by boslaw56 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Post removed...

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 pm

I'm cool with it, and with you being OP

appind

Postby appind » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm

boslaw56 wrote:For those of you retaking (or have already retaken), any general strategies you suggest? I took the Oct LSAT but knew I would be retaking in Dec. I've read the "LSAT Guide for Retakers" and found it pretty informative, but just looking for any additional tips/insight.

I've put together a study schedule in the hopes that it will force me to actually abide by it. I have a full time job at an IP firm right now so I can only dedicate ~4hrs max on weekdays to studying. In general, it looks something like this:
Mon: PT
Tue: Review PT; Full LG section from early PT + 7sage review; Read Manhattan LR + drill relevant type
Wed: PT
Thur: Review; Full LG section from early PT + 7sage review; Read Manhattan LR + drill relevant type
Fri: Party
Sat: PT
Sun: Review; Full LG section from early PT + 7sage review; Read Manhattan LR + drill relevant type

I plan on tailoring my LR work to weakest types based on my PT results. Once I finish the LR, I'm switching to Manhattan RC and practicing with RC from early PTs. Also, I'm starting with PT 50 and working my way to PT 75 the Thursday before the test.

try to take some 70s tests early in the prep. they are different and your scores on older pts may not be representative

boslaw56

Postby boslaw56 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Post Removed.
Last edited by boslaw56 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Postby appind » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Rc is more dense and difficult in new rc. I miss many more points on it than I did on older ones

AfrocentricAsian

Postby AfrocentricAsian » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:06 pm

I forgone mapping conditional statements because of faulty tutoring (the diagrams confused me when utilizing them for logical reasoning) but I still get majority of MBT questions correct. Should I start paraphrasing to raise my efficiency and speed?

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Just took PT 63 (160) but reading comprehension murdered me! I did put an extra RC in there I definitely wasn't used to that! I guess I have to prep for the worst though right! I messed up on the third game, I rushed it even though I breezed by the first two games!

LR :~7
LG : ~2
LR : ~3
RC: ~14

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Post removed...

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Just took PT 50, it's older I know but my book of 60s doesn't come until later this week.

I'm about to BR, so no idea on how I did, think I aced the games. However, I ran out of time on RC again. Any idea how I can fix this? I'll be hitting up the Trainer on RC this week, but any ideas on picking up speed?

Also, I forgot how to diagram the "without" rule. I did it the way you do unless, but then I wasn't sure if that was the right way. So I just super analyzed the premise and conclusion. I definitely need to review my notes on diagramming. :shock:

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Post removed...

velvet-lou

Post removed...

Postby velvet-lou » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by velvet-lou on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

venusinfurs16

Postby venusinfurs16 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:35 pm

velvet-lou wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm new hereI really need some advice/help.

Began prepping since June after I graduated, started with Kaplan (a bit embarrassing, but helped with the basics) then did all the bibles and soon went onto the PTs, from the very beginning, my score went up steadily from a cold diagnostic of 160 into steady early 170 range by the time I got into PTs 50, then into mid-high 170s from pts 50-70 (average 175, pr 178). Took the October LSAT, think I bombed it, because of LG game #3 and because I got stuck in RC, didn't even finish the section.

What do I do to prepare for the December LSAT? I am at a lost on where to start, since RC never increased during my studies and Logic Games never really missed any until I got into PT 72+ (maybe just practice on timing?). Also since I have taken 65 exams including all of the latest ones (60+), I don't know what material to get or where to go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Is there a specific question or game type that seemed to give you trouble? If so, would something like Manhattan's 10 Real LSATs grouped by question type help? They cover pretests 41-50 so you would have seen the questions before but they might help with targeted practice? Anybody have any experience with this? It seems like more recent RCs are more difficult timing-wise (and perhaps more similar to current test-day RCs) and I was in a similar RC boat on this test despite never straight-up bombing it in PTs so I'm thinking it could be helpful to practice timing with a variety of passages and then get really familiar/comfortable with the passage/question types on PT 71-75? Others might have better advice!

Also, nice username. :)

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Post removed...

velvet-lou

Post removed...

Postby velvet-lou » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by velvet-lou on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:37 pm

Post removed...

McJimJam

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

venusinfurs16

Postby venusinfurs16 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:43 pm

velvet-lou wrote:
venusinfurs16 wrote:

Began prepping since June after I graduated, started with Kaplan (a bit embarrassing, but helped with the basics) then did all the bibles and soon went onto the PTs, from the very beginning, my score went up steadily from a cold diagnostic of 160 into steady early 170 range by the time I got into PTs 50, then into mid-high 170s from pts 50-70 (average 175, pr 178). Took the October LSAT, think I bombed it, because of LG game #3 and because I got stuck in RC, didn't even finish the section.

What do I do to prepare for the December LSAT? I am at a lost on where to start, since RC never increased during my studies and Logic Games never really missed any until I got into PT 72+ (maybe just practice on timing?). Also since I have taken 65 exams including all of the latest ones (60+), I don't know what material to get or where to go?

Is there a specific question or game type that seemed to give you trouble? If so, would something like Manhattan's 10 Real LSATs grouped by question type help? They cover pretests 41-50 so you would have seen the questions before but they might help with targeted practice? Anybody have any experience with this? It seems like more recent RCs are more difficult timing-wise (and perhaps more similar to current test-day RCs) and I was in a similar RC boat on this test despite never straight-up bombing it in PTs so I'm thinking it could be helpful to practice timing with a variety of passages and then get really familiar/comfortable with the passage/question types on PT 71-75? Others might have better advice!

Thank You so much for the Advice!

I wish there was some specific issues with the games, I just got stuck on that one since I am used to working out the inferences until there is very few options, but that game just stumped me. If I would have had more time, maybe I could have gotten it. But I will definitely look into the Manhattan Prep, it can't hurt to practice. Yeah, the RC is crazy I had been getting -2 consistently but on the last few tests(70-75) around -5, I mostly have a difficult time with the inference questions (what would the author most likely agree with, ect.). But doing more timed practice will hopefully help me with not finishing, so it doesn't hurt me again! Thank YOU!

Love your username! I'm glad it was referring to TVU and not Polanki's latest film ha :wink:

Haha yeah I realized when not in the post-lsat woodford haze in which I created it that it had a few possible interpretations. Good luck with RC prep! If I find anything I'm doing in that regard particularly helpful I'll let you know.

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:39 am

AfrocentricAsian wrote:How much do you all drill before taking a preptest? I've done about 70 logical reasoning MBT questions, probably going to go over to reading comp and a few logic games before I take test 39

I'm still going through the 7Sage curriculum, so I drill as I do the lesson. If it's a large set such as 198 questions, I will do half so 100 questions and save the other half for when I have completed the curriculum and Trainer book and am PTing regularly to work on a particular question type.

I have been taking 1 PT every week, next week I will start doing two a week, and once I finish the curriculum (end of this month) I'll start doing 3 tests a week!

ngogirl12

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby ngogirl12 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:43 am

Just finished BR and original reviewing PT 50. This was an all day affair!

I went -1 on LG (really stupid mistake that I made due to overconfidance). I loved the third game, wish we could get one this easy in December!

LR was pretty bad, first section I cruised, second I went -6.

RC The first 3 passages was fine with -, last passage I ran out of time on and that cost me. However, reviewing it with someone on skype and explaining the answers was really helpful!

Any advice on how I can be better and faster at RC next time I PT?

prepadviceblah

Postby prepadviceblah » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:48 am

velvet-lou wrote:
venusinfurs16 wrote:

Thank You so much for the Advice!

I wish there was some specific issues with the games, I just got stuck on that one since I am used to working out the inferences until there is very few options, but that game just stumped me. If I would have had more time, maybe I could have gotten it. But I will definitely look into the Manhattan Prep, it can't hurt to practice. Yeah, the RC is crazy I had been getting -2 consistently but on the last few tests(70-75) around -5, I mostly have a difficult time with the inference questions (what would the author most likely agree with, ect.). But doing more timed practice will hopefully help me with not finishing, so it doesn't hurt me again! Thank YOU!

Love your username! I'm glad it was referring to TVU and not Polanki's latest film ha :wink:

Don't psyche yourself out. You're scoring extremely high, but you just happened to hit a game that stumped a lot of people. My advice would be to practice brute forcing your way through and not allowing yourself to freeze up. Easier said than done, I know. In my opinion, recent exams have a lot of plug and chug since the world is just so open-ended. You just have to realize that there's nothing to be done, but to try out the damn answers. I brute forced my way through that third game because no inferences popped out at me whatsoever. I learned that there are just time sink questions that you'll have to come back to and brute force your way through...

As for RC, it definitely got a lot more dense. And I have/had the exact same problem with the recent inference questions. Not much advice that I can give you there, except to say that you're in the upper echelon already. Keep doing your thing and don't psyche yourself out too much.

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:18 am

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”