The Official December 2015 Study Group

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:30 am

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mintme

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby mintme » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:25 am

I took PT 62 yesterday, and it was well...terrible. Did anyone else find this PT more difficult than usual?

kylemolodets

Postby kylemolodets » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:46 pm

mintme wrote:I took PT 62 yesterday, and it was well...terrible. Did anyone else find this PT more difficult than usual?

dang compadre, taking this on sat. Thanks for the anticipation!

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:28 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:Anyone taking a class online of any sort?

I'm doing 7Sage for LG and LR, coupling that with the Trainer book for LR and RC. Might add my Manhattan RC book in the mix. Also using the Cambridge LR bundle and Cambridge LG book for drilling.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Hey lets change this title to the "The Official December 2015 LSAT Study Group"

WaitersIsland

Postby WaitersIsland » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:25 pm

mintme wrote:I took PT 62 yesterday, and it was well...terrible. Did anyone else find this PT more difficult than usual?

I attempted to take this last Sunday. Retrospectively, probably not a great idea after a long night of drinking. I ended up tapping out halfway through the 3rd section. Blind reviewed the first two sections and will use the last two sections timed.

But to answer your question, yes, it was rather difficult to me, and I think the curve confirms that sentiment.

bigv

Postby bigv » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:41 pm

What's everyone's PT averages looking like with 10 weeks to go? I'm stuck in the low to mid 160's

mintme

Postby mintme » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:22 pm

ltowns1 wrote:Hey lets change this title to the "The Official December 2015 LSAT Study Group"

+1 and add a poll! Come on, OP!

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:27 pm

How's everybody's studying going? What's your schedules like?

Did Flaw Drilling today #121-173 from the Cambridge Packets, only missed 7. Then did thorough review with the Manhattan Forums. Feel pretty good about Flaw questions and I learned today I need to be more open/flexible with my answer choices.

As it comes down to the last two months, I'm wondering if I should still drill specific types (I am nowhere near done with my Cambridge Packets) or if I should just do section-by-section? I also barely got the Trainer three weeks ago and barely am on the first Reading Comprehension lessons. I am dedicating Thursday-Friday to Reading Comp.

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:41 pm

beantheshadow wrote:How's everybody's studying going? What's your schedules like?

Did Flaw Drilling today #121-173 from the Cambridge Packets, only missed 7. Then did thorough review with the Manhattan Forums. Feel pretty good about Flaw questions and I learned today I need to be more open/flexible with my answer choices.

As it comes down to the last two months, I'm wondering if I should still drill specific types (I am nowhere near done with my Cambridge Packets) or if I should just do section-by-section? I also barely got the Trainer three weeks ago and barely am on the first Reading Comprehension lessons. I am dedicating Thursday-Friday to Reading Comp.

I feel the same as in being behind on the drilling! I'm still drilling my weakening questions (just finished #88, I plan to go up to #100, and then do the Strengthen lesson for 7Sage coupled with drilling for the first 100 questions, but I'll break that into 25 questions at a time).

The way I'm drilling is check my answers after I complete a page, if I get a question wrong I try to figure it out, if I can't go to the Manhattan forums. Out of 3 pages thusfar, I missed 1 question which I feel good about.

My plan is to get through the 7Sage curriculum coupled with drilling and take 1-2 tests a week. Once I finish all my curriculum and drilling (~3 weeks from now), I will do 3 tests a week with blind review, review, and drilling of question types I am weak on. I am skipping the RC from 7Sage and using Trainer for that and LR.

That said, I am feeling more confidant as I drill. I think drilling coupled with timed tests is the key. My problem on the tests is timing, I run out of time on each section, but I think once I do a more even breakdown of all 3 sections, I will get better. I think getting an analog watch will be key to my timing issue too, because I have been using my cellphone which has a lock that goes off every 20 seconds that gets frustrating while taking a PT.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:04 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:How's everybody's studying going? What's your schedules like?

I feel the same as in being behind on the drilling! I'm still drilling my weakening questions (just finished #88, I plan to go up to #100, and then do the Strengthen lesson for 7Sage coupled with drilling for the first 100 questions, but I'll break that into 25 questions at a time).

The way I'm drilling is check my answers after I complete a page, if I get a question wrong I try to figure it out, if I can't go to the Manhattan forums. Out of 3 pages thusfar, I missed 1 question which I feel good about.

My plan is to get through the 7Sage curriculum coupled with drilling and take 1-2 tests a week. Once I finish all my curriculum and drilling (~3 weeks from now), I will do 3 tests a week with blind review, review, and drilling of question types I am weak on. I am skipping the RC from 7Sage and using Trainer for that and LR.

That said, I am feeling more confidant as I drill. I think drilling coupled with timed tests is the key. My problem on the tests is timing, I run out of time on each section, but I think once I do a more even breakdown of all 3 sections, I will get better. I think getting an analog watch will be key to my timing issue too, because I have been using my cellphone which has a lock that goes off every 20 seconds that gets frustrating while taking a PT.

I envy anyone who gets to study full-time. I really enjoy studying and drilling the LSAT, just want to maximize my score so I hope I'm studying the right way. How do you like the 7sage course? I would not be where I am today in LG without JY! I really like the sound of your method for drilling LR, quick question how do you know you got the question right/wrong without checking the answer? What I'm doing is drilling ten at a time, then go through each one on the manhatten forum and seeing if my thinking matches up but I like the sound of your way where you try to figure out the answer without looking it up.

In regards to your timing issue, you should be able to switch the settings on your phone so it won't lock. I definitely need a watch as well. But my scoters went up when I stopped worrying about the time. I usually have about 3-4 questions left on each LR section when I PT but I don't miss any or I'll miss 1. But before I would rush through look at my phone every few questions, I would finish the section but I would routinely miss 7-9.

I think the next step for me in increasing my score in LR is speeding up on the early questions and just gaining the confidence that I'm getting those right.

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:18 am

beantheshadow wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

I envy anyone who gets to study full-time. I really enjoy studying and drilling the LSAT, just want to maximize my score so I hope I'm studying the right way. How do you like the 7sage course? I would not be where I am today in LG without JY! I really like the sound of your method for drilling LR, quick question how do you know you got the question right/wrong without checking the answer? What I'm doing is drilling ten at a time, then go through each one on the manhatten forum and seeing if my thinking matches up but I like the sound of your way where you try to figure out the answer without looking it up.

In regards to your timing issue, you should be able to switch the settings on your phone so it won't lock. I definitely need a watch as well. But my scoters went up when I stopped worrying about the time. I usually have about 3-4 questions left on each LR section when I PT but I don't miss any or I'll miss 1. But before I would rush through look at my phone every few questions, I would finish the section but I would routinely miss 7-9.

I think the next step for me in increasing my score in LR is speeding up on the early questions and just gaining the confidence that I'm getting those right.

Either I wrote my way incoherently or you misunderstood my post/message! What I do is do one page of problems from Cambridge LR, and then check it with the answers (so for example, say there are three questions on a page, I have the answer key printed out, I take my packet which is stapled and just go up to the question I completed and check my answers, I then put a hot pink arrow hot pink since it's drilling and not a PT to the correct answer.) Next, I try to figure out the question why it's wrong and then go to Manhattan forums, I find their reasoning incredibly helpful. I was stumped on a weakening question with the earth's magnetic field where I made a faulty assumption in not understanding the correct answer choice, however, when I looked at the reasoning it made so much sense! Also, another thing I'm going to do from now on is review the questions I got wrong before going to bed, so the reasoning gets drilled into my brain and may come back to me on a PT or at a later time!

Another thing I'm going to do differently starting tomorrow is cut out the question (LR) I got wrong, paste it in a notebook, and actually write out the reasons each one is wrong in the space next to the cutout. I have been writing it in the space provided in the area, but for the last 6 questions (94-100), I had not printed them out, so I looked at the PDF and wrote the numbers and A, B, C, D, E. For the question I got wrong, I wrote each answer choice next to the letter and found I really internalized the reasoning instead of making mini notes such as alternative cause, new info, blah blah blah.

Yeah, I'll look at the option to take off the lock option. I'm not sure I know how to do it, but I will look in settings haha. I also googled the LSAT watch because I saw some people talking about it, the idea looks nice and helpful but the reviews weren't that great and I usually go off of reviews. So, when I can scarf off some extra cash (after buying my next book of tests, I swear prepping for this test is soo expensive!), I'm going to buy a simple Casio analog for $9 off of Amazon. I looked at some and I'm going to go with the one where the numbers are the largest. I also don't want to get too dependant on the stopwatch option in taking tests.

I absolutely LOVE 7Sage's course, but I'm not too crazy about his RC methodology. Before I started the course, I had the Manhattan RC book which I got through the first two chapters which has helped me immensely on the RC sections for the PT's I have been taking. That said, I still have a long way to go in my improvements. I'm also going to check out the Trainer RC instead of using 7Sages RC methodology.

Don't envy me too much re: full time studying.. I am also working on a research project that I have completely neglected and probably won't start until I finish the curriculum and it's due before the LSAT! I hate not working and not having a job (just got my MA degree), but I'm putting the free time I have right now into full time prep. I actually envy all the people who have jobs lol, but I am grateful and lucky to have this time in full time prep!

I think honestly the best way of increasing the score in LR is drilling untimed (for me anyways) to understand the flaws in the reasoning, reasoning structures, and after having done lots of them AND understanding when taking a PT it will be second nature. For example, I saw a question this evening that was almost identical to a LR question I had on a recent preptest, so I immediately knew what the problem was! That said, I'm terrified of the idea of a rule driven game..

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:55 am

Well it's official. I just registered, and adrenaline has taken over my body. EEK!

PrayFor170

Postby PrayFor170 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:16 pm

I had registered for October 3rd but withdrew it today, and decide to take December one.
Btw, anyone else here from Chicago?

Emilia_law

Postby Emilia_law » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:07 am

ngogirl12 wrote:Well it's official. I just registered, and adrenaline has taken over my body. EEK!

same -- it's crazy :D

i_wish_i_was_smart

Post removed...

Postby i_wish_i_was_smart » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:52 am

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:31 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Either I wrote my way incoherently or you misunderstood my post/message! What I do is do one page of problems from Cambridge LR, and then check it with the answers (so for example, say there are three questions on a page, I have the answer key printed out, I take my packet which is stapled and just go up to the question I completed and check my answers, I then put a hot pink arrow hot pink since it's drilling and not a PT to the correct answer.) Next, I try to figure out the question why it's wrong and then go to Manhattan forums, I find their reasoning incredibly helpful. I was stumped on a weakening question with the earth's magnetic field where I made a faulty assumption in not understanding the correct answer choice, however, when I looked at the reasoning it made so much sense! Also, another thing I'm going to do from now on is review the questions I got wrong before going to bed, so the reasoning gets drilled into my brain and may come back to me on a PT or at a later time!

Another thing I'm going to do differently starting tomorrow is cut out the question (LR) I got wrong, paste it in a notebook, and actually write out the reasons each one is wrong in the space next to the cutout. I have been writing it in the space provided in the area, but for the last 6 questions (94-100), I had not printed them out, so I looked at the PDF and wrote the numbers and A, B, C, D, E. For the question I got wrong, I wrote each answer choice next to the letter and found I really internalized the reasoning instead of making mini notes such as alternative cause, new info, blah blah blah.

Yeah, I'll look at the option to take off the lock option. I'm not sure I know how to do it, but I will look in settings haha. I also googled the LSAT watch because I saw some people talking about it, the idea looks nice and helpful but the reviews weren't that great and I usually go off of reviews. So, when I can scarf off some extra cash (after buying my next book of tests, I swear prepping for this test is soo expensive!), I'm going to buy a simple Casio analog for $9 off of Amazon. I looked at some and I'm going to go with the one where the numbers are the largest. I also don't want to get too dependant on the stopwatch option in taking tests.

I absolutely LOVE 7Sage's course, but I'm not too crazy about his RC methodology. Before I started the course, I had the Manhattan RC book which I got through the first two chapters which has helped me immensely on the RC sections for the PT's I have been taking. That said, I still have a long way to go in my improvements. I'm also going to check out the Trainer RC instead of using 7Sages RC methodology.

Don't envy me too much re: full time studying.. I am also working on a research project that I have completely neglected and probably won't start until I finish the curriculum and it's due before the LSAT! I hate not working and not having a job (just got my MA degree), but I'm putting the free time I have right now into full time prep. I actually envy all the people who have jobs lol, but I am grateful and lucky to have this time in full time prep!

I think honestly the best way of increasing the score in LR is drilling untimed (for me anyways) to understand the flaws in the reasoning, reasoning structures, and after having done lots of them AND understanding when taking a PT it will be second nature. For example, I saw a question this evening that was almost identical to a LR question I had on a recent preptest, so I immediately knew what the problem was! That said, I'm terrified of the idea of a rule driven game..

That's awesome! I really like the sound of the cutting-out-the-wrong-LR-questions method. Tell me how that works out! I swear I am wasting so much paper at work. Lol I do most of my drilling un-timed and all PTs timed. So far I like the Trainer RC method (but I haven't drilled enough to start seeing gains in it).

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:46 pm

I registered for December and my testing center will be at Arizona Summit. Lol It's closer for me and I am wondering if I should switch because my friend took his Exam there last year and he said after the Exam the admin from the college were pestering all the students about taking a tour. Lol I think they were going after the kids who were shaken up. It's funny because when he first described it he said it was annoying and unprofessional but he ended up attending there. :cry:

Now that I am registered everything feels so real!

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeech

Postby jeech » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:18 pm

luvpancakes15 wrote:Hola! New here.. So happy to see that misery loves company. Anyway, question: does anyone have any experiences to share about the LSAT Trainer??

I found it very helpful with the reading comp section.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Checking in!

after pacing in my room almost all day, i just withdrew from the test tomorrow. the only fresh PTs i did in the last couple weeks i got a 166 and 168. i got around -6/-9 in the 70s RC whereas i was near perfect in the old RC and i wasn't prepared for that. i was getting very excited for tomorrow's test but my last two pt numbers were telling me something else.
will be doing whatever it takes to improve that rc.

AfrocentricAsian

Postby AfrocentricAsian » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Checking in. Today was a wake up call. Won't stop until 170.

daisrt

Postby daisrt » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Checking in!

Cancelled my score halfway through today's test. Combination of nerves, stress, and burnout. I've been psyching myself out like crazy these 2-3 weeks leading up to the test. On section 3, I reread #1 on LR 10-15 times without comprehending a thing. December will be my third and final time taking the LSAT, and I'm hoping to go into it with close to perfect RC and perfect LG. I usually go -4 or so on LR, so I'd definitely like to work on that too, but my main goals are going to be RC and LG because I think I can make the most gains here.

Any retakers have tips for avoiding burnout yet maintaining a very vigorous and disciplined study schedule?

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”