The Official December 2015 Study Group

davey jones

Post removed.

Postby davey jones » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by davey jones on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

slizerd

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby slizerd » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

79! If we try hard enough we can make it!

GreekOmega12

Postby GreekOmega12 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:33 pm

I really don't feel like studying anymore..... Been studying since March.......

GreekOmega12

Postby GreekOmega12 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Was studying for June then a close friend of mine passed away 2 days before the test. So I believe that affected me on my score, decided to register for October and started studying in mid July. So about a month and a half off. Withdrew from the October test because I didn't feel ready. And now I'm here 8 1/2 months in and TIRED of everything LSAT related. (Except LG, I love LG)

Captainduff

Postby Captainduff » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:14 pm

amtaDA916 wrote:11 days out and checking in.

My PT scores have dropped from 166 to 160-161 on my last couple PTs. So I got that going for me.
May be adding a PT on Thanksgiving Day. Feel like it might be a head game thing. Was getting close to touching 170 and now I can't seem to pull it together for an entire test.

Take Thanksgiving off. I bombed October and it was probably due to burnout-induced stress and pressure. I think taking some time to sleep, recollect yourself, ad enjoy the time with your friends and family will be much more beneficial than cramming in as many practice tests as possible. Your attitude going into the test is probably just as important as your prep, if not more, and its going to help more if you're not as stressed. Ignore the score results, and just focus on what you were doing wrong on those tests. PT scores mean nothing - its all about what you take away from each one. So again, cramming a test onto a holiday won't necessarily help. If anything, just drill a section or two, or review one of your older PTs. But most importantly, take the majority of the day to chill

appind

Postby appind » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:31 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:
appind wrote:yeah about the credited choice. i have a reason for why it may be better than C, but that's a distinction i have never seen any past question use. so i am not sure.

even though many questions in 76 LR are very subtle, these two really stand out to me. i can kinda see why many in Oct waiters were surprised with the test form. if anyone did 76 recently then post how it went.

[+] Spoiler
You are overanalyzing number 21. It is a composition fallacy. Just because one disease by itself didn't cause all of the species to die out, why couldn't the many diseases put together? One disease could have caused 10 of the species to die out, another disease another 15 species, etc until you get to 55.

For parallel flaw questions the arguments do not need to match up 100%, they just need to commit the same logical fallacy. Answer choice B makes the exact same fallacy. Just because neither of the people can fix both doors and windows doesn't mean that one of them couldn't fix the door and the other the window. Same exact flaw.

C is IMO a decent argument but probably still flawed. The flaw with it could be that just because they couldn't agree on a restaurant in the immediate vicinity doesn't mean they couldn't agree on a restaurant that is further away, but even then its not the same flaw. Another flaw with it could be that it assumes they all have to agree on a restaurant in order to go to one, but since the conclusion is only "probably" neither of these are really big flaws and I think one could argue its a relatively strong argument.

What I'm guessing tripped people up with C is this: So in the stim its saying that 55 species died out and no single disease could wipe out all 55. If you try and stretch C to seem like that, then the 5 restaurants correspond to the 55 species and the 3 people correspond to the disease(s). But what C then says is that ALL THREE of them combined couldn't agree on a SINGLE restaurant to go to. Its not the same type of argument for that reason. To compare it, it would be like if the stim said "So ALL 55 of the diseases combined would not be able to wipe out a SINGLE species." M Way different argument.

As for 25, there are two issues with C that make it a worse answer choice than D. 1 is that C is talking about shows last YEAR while D (and the stim) is talking about shows last SEASON. Those are two different time frames. 2 (and more importantly) is that C is talking about shows overall, whereas D (and the stim) are talking about NEW shows. That is a huge difference - they could have some great shows that have been running for a while that didn't get cancelled, but the stim is only concerned with their new shows. Furthermore, even if you don't like those reasons for dismissing C, D is just clearly a much stronger answer choice. It connects the premise (their new shows are police dramas) with the conclusion (most of their new shows will prob be cancelled). The gap in the reasoning is that what if Wilke and Wilke are super good at making police dramas? D erases that possibility by telling you that they suck at police dramas too. Whereas C doesn't really tell you that much. Even if you overlook the subtleties, all C is saying is that out of their good shows, none of them were police dramas. That is a pretty weak statement, we still don't know what their bad shows were or even what their good ones were. We also don't know if they've ever tried to make a police drama before based on C. It still leaves open the possibility that they could be good at making police dramas and that they've just never tried before. Therefore it would be hard to predict if their new shows (which are all police dramas) are going to be cancelled or not.

yeah i see the flaw with stim in q21 and
[+] Spoiler
noticed it when taking the test and the whole agument doesn't need to match 100% but the flaw imo does need to match fully. i read the flaw in the stim as "if one entity can't do something by itself, then many such entities also "probably" can't do that something together". the flaw in B is of stronger degree as it says ""if one entity can't do something by itself, then many such entities also "will not" be able to do that something together". iirc this is the 1st parallel-flaw question i have seen that has this difference in degree of flaw/conclusion in the last 50+ PTs or so. so this appears to be a notable change in the way lsac is shifting to what degree the match has to exist to make a choice credited.

in q25, both c and d talk about last year. yeah i kinda see your description of this question. i hadn't noticed that C talked about all shows and not just new shows, but the reason i had for thinking that C doesn't strengthen was different and something i have never seen lsat use in any of their PTs. C actually says a lot even though it's written in a double negative form, which is that if any show was a police drama last year, then it was cancelled, which is a very strong statement as it applies also to new police drama shows last year. taken only as a conditional c is stronger than conditional d, but there is a subtle point about c that makes it not strengthen the stim at all.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvu

Post removed...

Postby tvu » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a_parm

Postby a_parm » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Been studying on and off since Feb. Yesterday, I was in middle of doing a PT and just couldn't focus, wanted to shred up the test and withdraw from Dec Exam. I really can't take it anymore. Btw, I couldn't complete the PT... just could not. :cry:

somethingElse

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

tvu

Post removed...

Postby tvu » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Post removed...

december1205

Postby december1205 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm so sad. Yesterday and today, I was doing timed PT for PT 73 (did this before when prepping for Dec 14 test) and I keep getting -6 wrong on each LR section. Bombed RC too. I was getting -6 wrong in TOTAL, and on my good days, I'd get like 3 wrong in total. (usually on 168-171 range)

What hurts more to admit is that I know I'm not burnt out. I just... I just can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

december1205

Postby december1205 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:22 pm

december1205 wrote:I'm so sad. Yesterday and today, I was doing timed PT for PT 73 (did this before when prepping for Dec 14 test) and I keep getting -6 wrong on each LR section. Bombed RC too. I was getting -6 wrong in TOTAL, and on my good days, I'd get like 3 wrong in total. (usually on 168-171 range)

What hurts more to admit is that I know I'm not burnt out. I just... I just can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Going to listen to Adele now.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:30 pm

I wish I took the LSAT like 12-13 years ago I feel like those LR sections are a joke compared to recent ones RC much easier too

forum_user

Postby forum_user » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Yeah, I found, especially with the older tests, that my anticipations would be in the ACs almost verbatim, with a giant red bow on them. The newer a tests aren't quite like that (though some of the questions are).
Another thing I've noticed, is occasionally I'll see a question which seems like it's setting itself up for something (like a certain king of flaw), when it's actually asking for something else. I've just found that in general, and like before, elimination is key.

I know exactly what you mean, I've noticed this too. This makes it tempting to read the question before the stim, then you think you know what to focus on. Though, the risk with that is, in focusing on one thing, you potentially lose sight of something else that might be important.
I almost never have a problem eliminating 3 choices. If I get one wrong, it's usually because I honed in on a single word in the AC and figured this disqualified the whole answer. Typically my interpretation is wrong--trying to remedy this by going back to the basics.

PoopNpants wrote:I wish I took the LSAT like 12-13 years ago I feel like those LR sections are a joke compared to recent ones RC much easier too

This x100

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Crappy days. Did pt 66 yesterday, missed (not attempted) 4 questions and got a 170. I have been PTing in a quiet room in the library which is very similar to the exam setting in terms of noise, that is unless a whack job shows up and starts watching silly shows and giggling periodically. I understand that I should be able to function in noise, but a regular giggle is not what I will experience in the exam, and it's extremely off putting. No matter what I said to him, he just carried on.

Same thing today, missed (not attempted) 10 questions on pt 68 for a 166. I shouted at him while taking the test, but it did not work. I talked to him during the break before doing pt 69, it stopped the giggling, but then he pulled out a noise making keyboard and banged away! I missed so many questions on the first two sections of pt 69 that I gave up. Pest.

Enough ranting!
Last edited by biggestlawman on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

i_wish_i_was_smart

Post removed...

Postby i_wish_i_was_smart » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorthlessDegree

Postby WorthlessDegree » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Just drilled two underdetermined assignment games, BOMBED both. Can't watch 7sage because I'm in the library and lost my headphones.

Think I'm going to quit before I get too frustrated, and just take the night off.

betterLawyerUP

Postby betterLawyerUP » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:19 pm

New PR after break: 169 (old was 168)

Still not happy though because its basically the same distribution
PT67
RC -8
LR -1
LG -1
LR -2

How do you guys breeze through RC I cannot even manage get it down to under -5. If I could get it down to about -3average I'd feel confident to get a 170. Anybody take 67 recently how did they do?

Seriously though LG I feel extremely confident, LR is tough but if you are efficient its pretty doable, RC is just gross, too much guessing

khe

Postby khe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:53 pm

gamerish wrote:
khe wrote:I've been a lurker for some time now :o . For those of you who've seen jumps in your scores since your first PT, aside from drilling problems, what other study methods have you seen succes with? What materials do you use to study (Powerscore, Manhattan, Cambridge etc)? I completed the TestMasters course and jumped 11 points but I'm looking to do even better. Drilling hasn't been beneficial to me lately, and I feel as if I need a better understanding of the concepts before I can be successful at drilling, so I want to get a fresh take by studying some new material. Any helpful tips are welcome!

I started with the LSAT Trainer as an introduction to the test. I didn't do any outside drilling while reading it, just the questions in the book. When I finished that, I bought the Cambrdige Bundle which separates everything from tests 1-39 by question type and read the Powerscore LG Bible. Each chapter pertains to a specific game type so I would drill those out of the Cambridge bundle after I finished each chapter, watching the 7Sage free video explanations after each game. I still was having difficulty with LG so I read the Manhattan LG Book and continued to do the same. Then I read the Manhattan LR book and drilled the corresponding LR sections from the Cambridge Bundle, getting a lot of usage out of the explanations on the Manhattan Forums. Then I started taking PTs, once every 2-3 weeks, while continuing to drill LR and LG. I took them under test conditions and used the 7Sage Blind Review method for every single one. I logged every test with LSATQA to see what types of questions I was consistently missing and to keep track of my progress. At that point, I knew where my weaknesses were and drilled those question and game types heavily. About two months before the test, I amped up my PT'ing to 2 per week and began taking full-timed sections with my drills to work on timing, the latter of which I credit with a lot of my progress.

Wow, thanks so much! May I ask what LSATQA stands for? I think I'm definitely gonna go ahead and purchase the PS and Manhattan LR & LG, I've heard so many great things about them and you just helped confirm that... Actually I keep hearing great things about everything you mentioned! You really helped me put things in perspective when it comes to how I'm going to move forward with studying.
Last edited by khe on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khe

Postby khe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:55 pm

WorthlessDegree wrote:
khe wrote:
WorthlessDegree wrote:
khe wrote:I've been a lurker for some time now :o . For those of you who've seen jumps in your scores since your first PT, aside from drilling problems, what other study methods have you seen succes with? What materials do you use to study (Powerscore, Manhattan, Cambridge etc)? I completed the TestMasters course and jumped 11 points but I'm looking to do even better. Drilling hasn't been beneficial to me lately, and I feel as if I need a better understanding of the concepts before I can be successful at drilling, so I want to get a fresh take by studying some new material. Any helpful tips are welcome!

What helped me was using the Cambridge bundles and drilling by type. So, I'd do 1 or 2 logic games, then see the correct answers, and then figure out WHY I got them wrong. Like, you should be able to explain to someone else why you were wrong and how to get it right.

Thanks for the tip! I'm not familiar with Cambridge study materials. Can you tell me a little more about them? Do the Cambridge bundles separate them by type?

Yup! The first half of all PT's are divided into question types, and the later ones are sold in their entirety. For me, it's the best investment for the LSAT I could have made.

Thank you! Definitely gonna take your advice and purchase!!!

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

tvu

Post removed...

Postby tvu » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Post removed...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”