The Official December 2015 Study Group

WorthlessDegree

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby WorthlessDegree » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

WOOT WOOT! After a couple days of drilling to remind myself of the basics, I just took a timed PT.

Results!

PT 46:
RC: -0
LR1: -4
LR2: -1
LG: -1

Score: 173

The new strategy I'm using for RC is definitely helping. I'm pumped!

WorthlessDegree

Postby WorthlessDegree » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:00 am

WorthlessDegree wrote:WOOT WOOT! After a couple days of drilling to remind myself of the basics, I just took a timed PT.

Results!

PT 46:

OK, so other than continuing what I've been doing, how can I improve my logical reasoning? That was always my best section, but since I've been focusing on RC/LG, it hasn't really improved. Should I just drill random LR types? Or take more PT's to work on endurance?

McJimJam

Postby McJimJam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:45 am

WorthlessDegree wrote:
OK, so other than continuing what I've been doing, how can I improve my logical reasoning? That was always my best section, but since I've been focusing on RC/LG, it hasn't really improved. Should I just drill random LR types? Or take more PT's to work on endurance?

Go through your past PTs and see if there is a recurring LR question type you have trouble with. If it is a specific type drill that question type. If its kinda all over the place you can try the random drilling or working on your endurance. When I was having more of a problem with my LR I didn't seem to be having a problem with any specific question type, just missing more questions near the end of sections. When my endurance got better my LR also kinda improved on its own. I'm assuming it was a mix between having more time and being less mentally exhausted going through the tests...although it could all just be a coincidence.

pterodactyls

Postby pterodactyls » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:52 am

WorthlessDegree wrote:The new strategy I'm using for RC is definitely helping. I'm pumped!

What's the new strategy?

I've been trying to work on my RC strategy too and I feel like I'm making progress, but I'll do good on older PTs and bomb the new ones.

McJimJam

Postby McJimJam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:58 am

pterodactyls wrote:
WorthlessDegree wrote:The new strategy I'm using for RC is definitely helping. I'm pumped!

What's the new strategy?

I've been trying to work on my RC strategy too and I feel like I'm making progress, but I'll do good on older PTs and bomb the new ones.
WorthlessDegree wrote:Oh my gosh, just had the biggest revelation on RC. If I write BOTH the purpose of the paragraph and the content of the paragraph itself (each with 5 words or fewer), then the questions get SO much easier. Obviously this puts more work on the front end, but it's saving me so much time on the back end.

RC drilling is annoying me but at least the majority of the passages are interesting. And I seem consistently get -0 on all difficulty 1s and most 2s. Now just need to get 3s and 4s on that level, might try doing this I just find it a pain to verbalize what I know in my head is the purpose. Although that mighbe the problem.

shineoncrazydiamond

Postby shineoncrazydiamond » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00 pm

McJimJam wrote:
WorthlessDegree wrote:

Go through your past PTs and see if there is a recurring LR question type you have trouble with. If it is a specific type drill that question type. If its kinda all over the place you can try the random drilling or working on your endurance. When I was having more of a problem with my LR I didn't seem to be having a problem with any specific question type, just missing more questions near the end of sections. When my endurance got better my LR also kinda improved on its own. I'm assuming it was a mix between having more time and being less mentally exhausted going through the tests...although it could all just be a coincidence.

I completely agree with this. I also found it helpful to circle words like "flawed" or "assumption required" or whatever in the question stem to help me zero in on what to look for in the answer choices. Obviously I wouldn't waste a ton of time trying to categorize the question but a brief note of the line of thinking it's asking for helps me focus on the most relevant details (and focus or lack thereof has definitely been one of my biggest challenges on both LR and RC). Also, I try to pay really close attention to subtle shifts in wording from argument --> answer choice that change the meaning (e.g. many vs most, or sometimes something more subtle.

The best example of the above that I can think of from a recent PT is number 15 on LR1 (section 1) on PT64. There were a few answer choices that seemed tempting at first but if you note that some choices refer to the author and others to her novels and that the core logic of the argument itself is specifically addressing only one of those (at least as I saw it) it becomes a lot easier. Going into this level of detail has been most helpful to me when I'm down to two choices and need to discern the fundamental differences between them that make one correct.

WorthlessDegree

Postby WorthlessDegree » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:06 pm

McJimJam wrote:
pterodactyls wrote:

What's the new strategy?

WorthlessDegree wrote:Oh my gosh, just had the biggest revelation on RC. If I write BOTH the purpose of the paragraph and the content of the paragraph itself (each with 5 words or fewer), then the questions get SO much easier. Obviously this puts more work on the front end, but it's saving me so much time on the back end.

RC drilling is annoying me but at least the majority of the passages are interesting. And I seem consistently get -0 on all difficulty 1s and most 2s. Now just need to get 3s and 4s on that level, might try doing this I just find it a pain to verbalize what I know in my head is the purpose. Although that mighbe the problem.

Yeah. Also, I'm treating the entire passage as one big logical reasoning question. So I draw lines between each paragraph, write the PURPOSE of the paragraph (e.g. background, theory, example, critique of theory, etc), and also write the CONTENT of the paragraph (e.g. traffic laws increase coordination, lower death). I went from -6 on the last PT to -0 on this one using it, so we'll see if it keeps working.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 pm

WorthlessDegree wrote:
McJimJam wrote:
pterodactyls wrote:

What's the new strategy?

Yeah. Also, I'm treating the entire passage as one big logical reasoning question. So I draw lines between each paragraph, write the PURPOSE of the paragraph (e.g. background, theory, example, critique of theory, etc), and also write the CONTENT of the paragraph (e.g. traffic laws increase coordination, lower death). I went from -6 on the last PT to -0 on this one using it, so we'll see if it keeps working.

then doesn't it take much longer for you to go through the passage? how much time do you take for reading and then for questions and if you have spare time at the end?

WorthlessDegree

Postby WorthlessDegree » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:19 pm

appind wrote:
WorthlessDegree wrote:
McJimJam wrote:
pterodactyls wrote:

What's the new strategy?

then doesn't it take much longer for you to go through the passage? how much time do you take for reading and then for questions and if you have spare time at the end?

It definitely adds a minute or two, but you can shave time off by writing shorthand. The reason this helps with time, though, is that you aren't constantly referencing the passage. When you get a question about paragraph 2, you can read 10 words and be like "oh yeah, that one".

shineoncrazydiamond

Postby shineoncrazydiamond » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 pm

WorthlessDegree wrote:WOOT WOOT! After a couple days of drilling to remind myself of the basics, I just took a timed PT.

Results!

PT 46:

Killer RC!! :D Congrats!

appind

Postby appind » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:26 pm

WorthlessDegree wrote:
It definitely adds a minute or two, but you can shave time off by writing shorthand. The reason this helps with time, though, is that you aren't constantly referencing the passage. When you get a question about paragraph 2, you can read 10 words and be like "oh yeah, that one".

how much time you usually take after this change in reading the passage and in doing the questions?

WorthlessDegree

Postby WorthlessDegree » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:39 pm

appind wrote:
WorthlessDegree wrote:

how much time you usually take after this change in reading the passage and in doing the questions?

Probably 4 reading/annotating the passage, 4 on the questions.

cheeseee

Postby cheeseee » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Last edited by cheeseee on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheeseee

Postby cheeseee » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:13 pm

And for those who's doing 72 on Saturday, how are we reviewing them? :)

tvu

Post removed...

Postby tvu » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cheeseee

Postby cheeseee » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:55 pm

Last edited by cheeseee on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McJimJam

Postby McJimJam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:57 pm

Think I might join all the people doing 72 tomorrow, drilling has been decent, let's see if there is any effect on a full test.

ETA: Not sure if I have taken 72 or 71 before, it's one of the two. If it was 72 I might just retake or take 71 instead.
Last edited by McJimJam on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvu

Post removed...

Postby tvu » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:04 pm

based on my last couple PTs, I think my new goal for test day is to go -0 on LG/LR and just hope to do decently on RC

My scoring breakdown for PT68 was

LR1 -1
LR2 -0
LG -1
RC -6

Missed 4 on the 3rd passage about pin theory/invisible hand, 2 on the first passage about corridos, and question 26 although I understand that passage pretty well. At least I crushed the science passage

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:42 pm

I have noticed a huge difference between my abilities when I have had a good night's sleep and when I have not. I go from comfortably above 170 to mid 160s. When I am tired, I make mistakes in interpreting game rules, I slow down on easy games, I slow down on RC a lot, and I make couple more mistakes in LR.

Anyone else having similar issues?

McJimJam

Postby McJimJam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:50 pm

biggestlawman wrote:I have noticed a huge difference between my abilities when I have had a good night's sleep and when I have not. I go from comfortably above 170 to mid 160s. When I am tired, I make mistakes in interpreting game rules, I slow down on easy games, I slow down on RC a lot, and I make couple more mistakes in LR.

If I don't do a warm-up I am like that on the first section when I am tired. Usually, though, after that first bit I am much more alert (somewhat slower though).
Considering booking a hotel room near my test center, because I'd have to be up around 5 at least with how far out it is and I don't want to be in this situation on test day.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:12 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
McJimJam wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:I have noticed a huge difference between my abilities when I have had a good night's sleep and when I have not. I go from comfortably above 170 to mid 160s. When I am tired, I make mistakes in interpreting game rules, I slow down on easy games, I slow down on RC a lot, and I make couple more mistakes in LR.

If I don't do a warm-up I am like that on the first section when I am tired. Usually, though, after that first bit I am much more alert (somewhat slower though).
Considering booking a hotel room near my test center, because I'd have to be up around 5 at least with how far out it is and I don't want to be in this situation on test day.

I thought I was ok with waking up at 5 and driving, but I really wasn't. I lost a lot of sleep stressing out about traffic and actually getting there.

I notice the same thing with sleep, but also with eating. I've found that I need some protein/carbs about 30min before the test or else I can't stay focused the whole time.

I guess we just have to make sure that the night before is one of restful sleep. I also agree with the protein/carb assessment. Chicken, hummus and bananas do it for me. I am not going to be nervous this time, so for good sleep, I just have to make sure that I am in bed by 9pm.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:27 pm

McJimJam wrote:

Better take a look at the hotels early and find a quiet one with comfy beds.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”