The Official December 2015 Study Group

DoYouEvenTLS

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:20 am

apetro948 wrote:What's up gang. Looks like i'm shooting for December LSAT... More or so less because I missed the October LSAT signup date (i think?) and the small fact that I pretty much want/need above a 177 :D

I think tomorrow (Aug-28th) is the last day to register for October without an additional fee; late registration deadline (with additional fee) is Sept-9th. --> http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates- ... canada-oct

DoYouEvenTLS

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:22 am

I consider myself to be pretty good at LG, but yesterday LG surely kicked my butt.
Trying to go over some more LG before lunch then tackling the dreaded RC portion of the day afterwards :roll:

josh9308

Postby josh9308 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:34 am

I'm about to be finished with the PS LG book. I just have a quick question. How often did you guys drill (outside of the PS drills) throughout your studies of LG? I have the Ultimate LSAT Prep Package. Should I wait until I'm done w/ the book? Drill throughout? Wait until I'm done studying with all 3 sections?

WaitersIsland

Postby WaitersIsland » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm

I've been drilling almost exclusively LG and LR since June. Took my third prep test, PT 46, today. Results were very meh:

RC: -13 (!!!)
LR: -4
LR: -4
LG: -0

There was one RC passage I did not get to with 8 questions, so I left them all blank as to not distort my score with guesses. Still, that means I only got 14/19 on the questions that I completed. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me with RC.

Edit: Blind Review:

RC: -3
LR: -1
LR: -2
LG: -0

mintme

Postby mintme » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:50 pm

I ordered the LSAT Trainer today, should be here Wednesday. I'm hoping that will help me and that I'll have enough time to go through it. Preptests 52-61 came in today, so I worked on the LG section of 52...it was tough! I did it untimed and missed 3 (1 I actually got incorrect stupid mistake, 2 I just gave up on). I'm starting with a diagnostic (timed) of 150 and hope to be in the 160s by December, if it's possible!

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:02 pm

I'll check in, I'm shooting for above 160 for my first take. I missed my fist take so I've got two shots.

I'll try score close to where I top out at on PTs. I haven't done shit for reading comprehension and once I have a system down those are spare points.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mintme

Postby mintme » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:58 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
mintme wrote:I ordered the LSAT Trainer today, should be here Wednesday. I'm hoping that will help me and that I'll have enough time to go through it. Preptests 52-61 came in today, so I worked on the LG section of 52...it was tough! I did it untimed and missed 3 (1 I actually got incorrect stupid mistake, 2 I just gave up on). I'm starting with a diagnostic (timed) of 150 and hope to be in the 160s by December, if it's possible!

The Trainer is a valuable resource, currently I am prepping for October and planning on continuing prep for December. I have however finished the Trainer, my advice is to not do as I did and just go through the book without drilling. I do wish I had gone through each section and drilled, instead I went through the book and now I'm drilling PTing. Getting to the 160's by December should be no problem, with the right prep getting to the 159/160 area is relatively simple, getting from that to 165-170 is another challenge.

Also the Powerscore Logic Games Bible or LGB is excellent for logic games, along with 7sage explanations. Went -0 on LG my last PT, can consistently go -2 or less, now if I can just get RC better.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind. At the moment my funds for prep books is limited, but I'm hoping to be able to order more within the next few weeks. I'm anxious to really get started on studying!

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 pm

LG, LG, and more LG!

Never thought I would say this - but I am very excited to get to PT!

teacups

Postby teacups » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:13 pm

I've been working on LR all day - I recently purchased the Manhattan LR book, and I've been working on it. I like their explanations better than what the Bible LR provides. I have RC and LR all studied. I have touched RC in a couple of months - I've just been concentrating on LR. I am going to start on LG in a couple of weeks. Sufficient assumptions are killing me on LR :(. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do those particular questions well in LR? I wish I could afford 7Sage. :(

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Anyone here plan on applying this cycle?

Sreezy36

Postby Sreezy36 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:58 pm

Checking in....

Study materials: power score: all three bibles and all three test 1-20 drill questions, and prep test 19-28, 29-38, and 52-71

I also very recently purchased the Manhattan LR prep book

Just decided to change my test date from October to December. I am currently crippled by the burden of the logical reasons sections :| :| :| :| .... Right now I am average between -5 and -8 on both untimed and partially timed (40 min) sections... Something just isn't clicking for me. I hope that the Manhattan LR prep book may "shed some light" on some of my deficiencies and/or enable me to embrace some new approaches to the questions. In all, I feel like the LR sections are holding me back tremendously. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, please feel free to share.

Sreezy36

Postby Sreezy36 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 am

179orBust wrote:Anyone here plan on applying this cycle?

Yes, I plan on having all of my apps completed and turned in with the exception of my lsat score by thanksgiving or December 1 at the latest.

teacups

Postby teacups » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:16 am

When are you guys asking your professors/contacts for letters of recommendations?

pursuerr

Postby pursuerr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 am

Hey guys. What do you think of signing up for online courses like Testmasters, Blueprint, 7sage, etc?

Any recommendation?

teacups

Postby teacups » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:22 am

Sreezy36 wrote:Checking in....

Study materials: power score: all three bibles and all three test 1-20 drill questions, and prep test 19-28, 29-38, and 52-71

I also very recently purchased the Manhattan LR prep book

Just decided to change my test date from October to December. I am currently crippled by the burden of the logical reasons sections :| :| :| :| .... Right now I am average between -5 and -8 on both untimed and partially timed (40 min) sections... Something just isn't clicking for me. I hope that the Manhattan LR prep book may "shed some light" on some of my deficiencies and/or enable me to embrace some new approaches to the questions. In all, I feel like the LR sections are holding me back tremendously. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, please feel free to share.

I just started reading the Manhattan LR (I finished the LR Bible a bit ago); I find Manhattan so much more informative. As others have said, the LR Bible is good for background information, and Manhattan goes a bit "deeper" into how to better understand and solve the various question types. I am still having problems with LR as well, though. But I purchased Cambridge LR sets today, and I am going to go through them once I finish every LR section in Manhattan (with brief glimpses at the Bible's interpretation), such as Flaw in the Argument questions, Weaken, et cetera. That should help me remember the various rules that pertain to the specific question types. Now that I've been working more on LR, I've noticed that it can be easy to spot the wrong answers, especially if they are completely out of scope (some are laughably so, I've noticed). I might consider buying the LR Trainer as well since I have heard that it is quite good.

Also, after I finish an LR set, I review it extensively, even the questions I get right. I read through each problem and make sure that I understand the arguments, gaps, my reasoning as to why I picked and didn't pick a certain question. I make sure that I know exactly what the core of the argument is, and that I able to thoroughly explain every wrong or right answer choice. It takes time, but I've found that this has helped me a lot.

WaitersIsland

Postby WaitersIsland » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 am

Make sure you review every logical reasoning question to reinforce why the correct answer choice was correct and the wrong answers choices were incorrect. Any question that you had difficulty answering, find the explanation on the Manhattan LSAT forum (or Graeme Blake's 'LSATHacks' website, although it doesn't have explanations for all PTs). Reading other peoples' explanations can give you a different perspective on the question.

mintme

Postby mintme » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:08 am

179orBust wrote:Anyone here plan on applying this cycle?

Yes, I'm just getting started on applications. I need to ask for LORs soon, but I'm still contemplating who I want to ask.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:39 am

Post removed...

DoYouEvenTLS

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:20 pm

Welp, officially changed my test date from Oct to Dec....

Reading these past few posts has me concerned.... uhhhh, I guess I should start doing applications if I plan on applying this cycle :shock:
or will I have enough time between finishing the LSAT and deadlines for apps to complete them ?

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Moved on to In/Out games today.

LG is, without question, my weak spot of the 3 sections.

Luckily, I have a good amount of time to drill!

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 pm

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:Welp, officially changed my test date from Oct to Dec....

Reading these past few posts has me concerned.... uhhhh, I guess I should start doing applications if I plan on applying this cycle :shock:
or will I have enough time between finishing the LSAT and deadlines for apps to complete them ?

I'm giving myself a hard deadline of Thanksgiving to have all applications in.

FSUHopeful

Postby FSUHopeful » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:13 pm

STILL struggling with LG.. despise those.. Have tried all methods/books..

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Post removed...

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:16 am

PatriotP74 wrote:
YupSports wrote:
DoYouEvenTLS wrote:Welp, officially changed my test date from Oct to Dec....

I'm giving myself a hard deadline of Thanksgiving to have all applications in.

Do you have a decent score already or no?

I do not.

First post-drilling PT is scheduled for about two weeks from now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”