The Official December 2015 Study Group

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby PoopNpants » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:48 pm

jmark1 wrote:Just managed a 165 on PT 67, going -2 on both LR sections (HUGE), -6 on RC (boooo!) and -7 on LG thanks to some stupid mistakes and that horror of a last game. After a bad couple of weeks, this was a huge boost :D


Just got a 164 on that one, that RC section destroyed me. that second passage about the !Kung woman really messed me up badly. might've been the worst RC passage I've ever encountered up to this point.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby appind » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:24 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
jmark1 wrote:Just managed a 165 on PT 67, going -2 on both LR sections (HUGE), -6 on RC (boooo!) and -7 on LG thanks to some stupid mistakes and that horror of a last game. After a bad couple of weeks, this was a huge boost :D


Just got a 164 on that one, that RC section destroyed me. that second passage about the !Kung woman really messed me up badly. might've been the worst RC passage I've ever encountered up to this point.


!kung was a tough passage.

i recall you working on improving recent rc before oct test. how did your rc go in oct?

User avatar
roshan07
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby roshan07 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:51 pm

just finished PT 65

Score 169

LR -4
LG -3
RC -8

I REALLY need to fix my RC so I can be confident of a 170+ score, a lot can be improved there compared to the other sections. I've also really been focusing on working from wrong to right, helps a bunch.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby PoopNpants » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:57 pm

appind wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
jmark1 wrote:Just managed a 165 on PT 67, going -2 on both LR sections (HUGE), -6 on RC (boooo!) and -7 on LG thanks to some stupid mistakes and that horror of a last game. After a bad couple of weeks, this was a huge boost :D


Just got a 164 on that one, that RC section destroyed me. that second passage about the !Kung woman really messed me up badly. might've been the worst RC passage I've ever encountered up to this point.


!kung was a tough passage.

i recall you working on improving recent rc before oct test. how did your rc go in oct?


On Oct. I did alright, -5. I'm hoping for -2/3 in 3 weeks, but it's still definitely my weakest area. I;ve been using manhattan the last few weeks though I think it helped. Some RC passages I feel are just crazy hard, i've been noticing that as I'm progressing through the late 60s PTs. I still got another 7 fresh ones left over the next few weeks.

That logic games section was also kind've tough, went -4 which is rare for me, I had trouble setting up that last zones game and didn't really get what the rules meant/best diagram to use.

CAJOLER
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby CAJOLER » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey guys!

Took pt 58 today... 170.

LR (-2)
RC (-5)
LG (-4)
LR (-0)!! -- recognized a few questions

I'm happy with it but this PT was supposedly fresh. Yet I recognized a good deal of LR questions, sadly.

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:27 pm

drilling games right now i dont afraid

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:42 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:IMO its sketchy as fuck when the LSAT puts the answer choice "Assumes something that is tantamount to assuming the conclusion is true" in flaw questions.

Until now I didn't know what tantamount means and I thought that it could mean like "necessary." There's a question in PT 71 that uses that, and if tantamount did in fact mean necessary then I think it would be a good answer choice. But now that I know tantamount means "equal to," I realize that that answer choice is describing a circular argument. I didn't pick that answer choice just because I wasn't sure what that word meant, but usually when the LSAT uses a relatively big word like that they put it in a non-ambigious context.


whenever I miss a question because I dont understand a word, it pisses me off so badly. I started looking all the words up though so it doesn't happen much

User avatar
dellara
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby dellara » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:42 am

damn i would never think tantamount means equal to but i am so happy i know now

User avatar
betterLawyerUP
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby betterLawyerUP » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:27 am

Idk how guys make 170+ look so easy. Every PT I come across has some really tough questions in each section and most of you guys on average get most of these questions right in addition to not making mistakes on the easy ones. Even if I manage to finish RC on time, theres usually at least 2-4 extremely difficult questions which are close to impossible under time constraints. Samesies for LR, assuming I dont make any mistakes on the easier questions theres 2-4 that are up for grabs.

That said my LR was average around -2 for a while and has jumped to roughly -4 per section. RC goes from -4 up to -11 average and my biggest struggle is finishing in time for RC. I tried reading for scale, using notation methods, etc. But that usually makes my score much worse, closer to -10ish. My best RCs have been around -4 and that has only been when I just wing it and rely on memory for the most part. And -4 is closer to an anomaly, I do not know how some of you guys consistently get around -2ish on each section

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:09 pm

lol, the lsat is creeping up.

newcareernewtown
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 am

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby newcareernewtown » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:10 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote:Idk how guys make 170+ look so easy. Every PT I come across has some really tough questions in each section and most of you guys on average get most of these questions right in addition to not making mistakes on the easy ones. Even if I manage to finish RC on time, theres usually at least 2-4 extremely difficult questions which are close to impossible under time constraints. Samesies for LR, assuming I dont make any mistakes on the easier questions theres 2-4 that are up for grabs.

That said my LR was average around -2 for a while and has jumped to roughly -4 per section. RC goes from -4 up to -11 average and my biggest struggle is finishing in time for RC. I tried reading for scale, using notation methods, etc. But that usually makes my score much worse, closer to -10ish. My best RCs have been around -4 and that has only been when I just wing it and rely on memory for the most part. And -4 is closer to an anomaly, I do not know how some of you guys consistently get around -2ish on each section


Memory.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby appind » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:11 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote:Idk how guys make 170+ look so easy. Every PT I come across has some really tough questions in each section and most of you guys on average get most of these questions right in addition to not making mistakes on the easy ones. Even if I manage to finish RC on time, theres usually at least 2-4 extremely difficult questions which are close to impossible under time constraints. Samesies for LR, assuming I dont make any mistakes on the easier questions theres 2-4 that are up for grabs.

That said my LR was average around -2 for a while and has jumped to roughly -4 per section. RC goes from -4 up to -11 average and my biggest struggle is finishing in time for RC. I tried reading for scale, using notation methods, etc. But that usually makes my score much worse, closer to -10ish. My best RCs have been around -4 and that has only been when I just wing it and rely on memory for the most part. And -4 is closer to an anomaly, I do not know how some of you guys consistently get around -2ish on each section


rc seems to be the most difficult section to improve within time constraints. relying on memory isn't an approach that'd yield consistent results as far as i know. yet i think most perfect scorers in rc refer back to the passage rarely.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby PoopNpants » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:01 pm

appind wrote:
betterLawyerUP wrote:Idk how guys make 170+ look so easy. Every PT I come across has some really tough questions in each section and most of you guys on average get most of these questions right in addition to not making mistakes on the easy ones. Even if I manage to finish RC on time, theres usually at least 2-4 extremely difficult questions which are close to impossible under time constraints. Samesies for LR, assuming I dont make any mistakes on the easier questions theres 2-4 that are up for grabs.

That said my LR was average around -2 for a while and has jumped to roughly -4 per section. RC goes from -4 up to -11 average and my biggest struggle is finishing in time for RC. I tried reading for scale, using notation methods, etc. But that usually makes my score much worse, closer to -10ish. My best RCs have been around -4 and that has only been when I just wing it and rely on memory for the most part. And -4 is closer to an anomaly, I do not know how some of you guys consistently get around -2ish on each section


rc seems to be the most difficult section to improve within time constraints. relying on memory isn't an approach that'd yield consistent results as far as i know. yet i think most perfect scorers in rc refer back to the passage rarely.


I don't think relying on memory for most questions is a good idea, but memory in that sense that you memorize where certain passages elements are located is more important. One thing I've been trying to do recently is be able to know the purpose and point of each paragragh, whether the passage deals with some type of argument, and why the fuck the author wrote this shit in the first place i.e. the main point he is trying to get across.

As for timing issues, I think I have to get through at least one or two passages in 6 minutes or else so I have more time to really scrutinize ACs for the really hard passages that are in the section.

User avatar
betterLawyerUP
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby betterLawyerUP » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:16 pm

I am dumbfounded by the people who can notate RC, go -1 and still have time to sharpen their pencils and adjust their 180 watch. Envy

newcareernewtown
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 am

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby newcareernewtown » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:51 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote:I am dumbfounded by the people who can notate RC, go -1 and still have time to sharpen their pencils and adjust their 180 watch. Envy


Read Hegel. Then you will have no envy.

User avatar
fishpaste1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Post removed.

Postby fishpaste1 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by fishpaste1 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:00 am, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
betterLawyerUP
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby betterLawyerUP » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:19 pm

gamerish wrote:PT59
LG: -3
LR1: -2
LR2: -1
RC: -7
170

BR
LG: -0
LR1: -2
LR2: -1
RC: -4
176

Very frustrated. I didn't improve at all on either of my LR sections during BR and I wound up changing answers I had initially gotten right to wrong ones on two of the RC questions, the other two I fell for the same trap answers choices both times.


I did 59 the other day. That RC was filth, even excluding Noguchi passage I thought it was pretty tough, didn't finish all the questions in time. The first LR I thought was pretty difficult too, I got 7,16,19,20 wrong

khe
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:54 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby khe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Newcomer.

What exactly is a blind review?

User avatar
seashell.economy
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby seashell.economy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:25 am

I'd rather do hard labor than reading comp, but here I am, staring at these passages.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby appind » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:19 am

gamerish wrote:PT59
LG: -3
LR1: -2
LR2: -1
RC: -7
170

BR
LG: -0
LR1: -2
LR2: -1
RC: -4
176

Very frustrated. I didn't improve at all on either of my LR sections during BR and I wound up changing answers I had initially gotten right to wrong ones on two of the RC questions, the other two I fell for the same trap answers choices both times.


have you taken these pts before for oct?

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:58 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:00 am, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
dellara
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby dellara » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:32 am

the guilt that is felt after doing nothing lsat related in a given amount of time is SO REAL

User avatar
kylemolodets
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:04 am

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby kylemolodets » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 am

khe wrote:Newcomer.

What exactly is a blind review?


After taking your test, you review and answer questions that you were iffy about but this time with no time constraint. It lets you know if timing is an issue or understanding is an issue.

dellara wrote:the guilt that is felt after doing nothing lsat related in a given amount of time is SO REAL

Didn't do ANYTHING for the last two days, I feel ya :oops: :oops: :shock:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, dianersg, DumbHollywoodActor, Google [Bot], Greenteachurro, Instrumental, Jatt, judill, mrgstephe, Tsubomi93, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests