The Official December 2015 Study Group

PoopNpants

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Postby PoopNpants » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:48 pm

jmark1 wrote:Just managed a 165 on PT 67, going -2 on both LR sections (HUGE), -6 on RC (boooo!) and -7 on LG thanks to some stupid mistakes and that horror of a last game. After a bad couple of weeks, this was a huge boost :D

Just got a 164 on that one, that RC section destroyed me. that second passage about the !Kung woman really messed me up badly. might've been the worst RC passage I've ever encountered up to this point.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:24 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
jmark1 wrote:Just managed a 165 on PT 67, going -2 on both LR sections (HUGE), -6 on RC (boooo!) and -7 on LG thanks to some stupid mistakes and that horror of a last game. After a bad couple of weeks, this was a huge boost :D

Just got a 164 on that one, that RC section destroyed me. that second passage about the !Kung woman really messed me up badly. might've been the worst RC passage I've ever encountered up to this point.

!kung was a tough passage.

i recall you working on improving recent rc before oct test. how did your rc go in oct?

roshan07

Postby roshan07 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:51 pm

just finished PT 65

Score 169

LR -4
LG -3
RC -8

I REALLY need to fix my RC so I can be confident of a 170+ score, a lot can be improved there compared to the other sections. I've also really been focusing on working from wrong to right, helps a bunch.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:57 pm

appind wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:

!kung was a tough passage.

i recall you working on improving recent rc before oct test. how did your rc go in oct?

On Oct. I did alright, -5. I'm hoping for -2/3 in 3 weeks, but it's still definitely my weakest area. I;ve been using manhattan the last few weeks though I think it helped. Some RC passages I feel are just crazy hard, i've been noticing that as I'm progressing through the late 60s PTs. I still got another 7 fresh ones left over the next few weeks.

That logic games section was also kind've tough, went -4 which is rare for me, I had trouble setting up that last zones game and didn't really get what the rules meant/best diagram to use.

CAJOLER

Postby CAJOLER » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey guys!

Took pt 58 today... 170.

LR (-2)
RC (-5)
LG (-4)
LR (-0)!! -- recognized a few questions

I'm happy with it but this PT was supposedly fresh. Yet I recognized a good deal of LR questions, sadly.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:27 pm

drilling games right now i dont afraid

somethingElse

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:42 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:IMO its sketchy as fuck when the LSAT puts the answer choice "Assumes something that is tantamount to assuming the conclusion is true" in flaw questions.

Until now I didn't know what tantamount means and I thought that it could mean like "necessary." There's a question in PT 71 that uses that, and if tantamount did in fact mean necessary then I think it would be a good answer choice. But now that I know tantamount means "equal to," I realize that that answer choice is describing a circular argument. I didn't pick that answer choice just because I wasn't sure what that word meant, but usually when the LSAT uses a relatively big word like that they put it in a non-ambigious context.

whenever I miss a question because I dont understand a word, it pisses me off so badly. I started looking all the words up though so it doesn't happen much

dellara

Postby dellara » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:42 am

damn i would never think tantamount means equal to but i am so happy i know now

betterLawyerUP

Postby betterLawyerUP » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:27 am

Idk how guys make 170+ look so easy. Every PT I come across has some really tough questions in each section and most of you guys on average get most of these questions right in addition to not making mistakes on the easy ones. Even if I manage to finish RC on time, theres usually at least 2-4 extremely difficult questions which are close to impossible under time constraints. Samesies for LR, assuming I dont make any mistakes on the easier questions theres 2-4 that are up for grabs.

That said my LR was average around -2 for a while and has jumped to roughly -4 per section. RC goes from -4 up to -11 average and my biggest struggle is finishing in time for RC. I tried reading for scale, using notation methods, etc. But that usually makes my score much worse, closer to -10ish. My best RCs have been around -4 and that has only been when I just wing it and rely on memory for the most part. And -4 is closer to an anomaly, I do not know how some of you guys consistently get around -2ish on each section

flash21

Postby flash21 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:09 pm

lol, the lsat is creeping up.

newcareernewtown

Postby newcareernewtown » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:10 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote:Idk how guys make 170+ look so easy. Every PT I come across has some really tough questions in each section and most of you guys on average get most of these questions right in addition to not making mistakes on the easy ones. Even if I manage to finish RC on time, theres usually at least 2-4 extremely difficult questions which are close to impossible under time constraints. Samesies for LR, assuming I dont make any mistakes on the easier questions theres 2-4 that are up for grabs.

That said my LR was average around -2 for a while and has jumped to roughly -4 per section. RC goes from -4 up to -11 average and my biggest struggle is finishing in time for RC. I tried reading for scale, using notation methods, etc. But that usually makes my score much worse, closer to -10ish. My best RCs have been around -4 and that has only been when I just wing it and rely on memory for the most part. And -4 is closer to an anomaly, I do not know how some of you guys consistently get around -2ish on each section

Memory.

appind

Postby appind » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:11 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote:Idk how guys make 170+ look so easy. Every PT I come across has some really tough questions in each section and most of you guys on average get most of these questions right in addition to not making mistakes on the easy ones. Even if I manage to finish RC on time, theres usually at least 2-4 extremely difficult questions which are close to impossible under time constraints. Samesies for LR, assuming I dont make any mistakes on the easier questions theres 2-4 that are up for grabs.

rc seems to be the most difficult section to improve within time constraints. relying on memory isn't an approach that'd yield consistent results as far as i know. yet i think most perfect scorers in rc refer back to the passage rarely.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:01 pm

appind wrote:

rc seems to be the most difficult section to improve within time constraints. relying on memory isn't an approach that'd yield consistent results as far as i know. yet i think most perfect scorers in rc refer back to the passage rarely.

I don't think relying on memory for most questions is a good idea, but memory in that sense that you memorize where certain passages elements are located is more important. One thing I've been trying to do recently is be able to know the purpose and point of each paragragh, whether the passage deals with some type of argument, and why the fuck the author wrote this shit in the first place i.e. the main point he is trying to get across.

As for timing issues, I think I have to get through at least one or two passages in 6 minutes or else so I have more time to really scrutinize ACs for the really hard passages that are in the section.

betterLawyerUP

Postby betterLawyerUP » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:16 pm

I am dumbfounded by the people who can notate RC, go -1 and still have time to sharpen their pencils and adjust their 180 watch. Envy

newcareernewtown

Postby newcareernewtown » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:51 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote:I am dumbfounded by the people who can notate RC, go -1 and still have time to sharpen their pencils and adjust their 180 watch. Envy

Read Hegel. Then you will have no envy.

fishpaste1

Post removed.

Postby fishpaste1 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by fishpaste1 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:00 am, edited 8 times in total.

betterLawyerUP

Postby betterLawyerUP » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:19 pm

gamerish wrote:PT59
LG: -3
LR1: -2
LR2: -1
RC: -7

BR
LG: -0
RC: -4

Very frustrated. I didn't improve at all on either of my LR sections during BR and I wound up changing answers I had initially gotten right to wrong ones on two of the RC questions, the other two I fell for the same trap answers choices both times.

I did 59 the other day. That RC was filth, even excluding Noguchi passage I thought it was pretty tough, didn't finish all the questions in time. The first LR I thought was pretty difficult too, I got 7,16,19,20 wrong

khe

Postby khe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Newcomer.

What exactly is a blind review?

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:25 am

I'd rather do hard labor than reading comp, but here I am, staring at these passages.

appind

Postby appind » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:19 am

gamerish wrote:PT59
LG: -3
RC: -7

BR
LG: -0
RC: -4

Very frustrated. I didn't improve at all on either of my LR sections during BR and I wound up changing answers I had initially gotten right to wrong ones on two of the RC questions, the other two I fell for the same trap answers choices both times.

have you taken these pts before for oct?

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:58 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:00 am, edited 8 times in total.

dellara

Postby dellara » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:32 am

the guilt that is felt after doing nothing lsat related in a given amount of time is SO REAL

kylemolodets

Postby kylemolodets » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 am

khe wrote:Newcomer.

What exactly is a blind review?

After taking your test, you review and answer questions that you were iffy about but this time with no time constraint. It lets you know if timing is an issue or understanding is an issue.

dellara wrote:the guilt that is felt after doing nothing lsat related in a given amount of time is SO REAL

Didn't do ANYTHING for the last two days, I feel ya :oops: :oops: :shock:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”