The Official December 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:27 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BroManDude

Silver

Post removed.

Post by BroManDude » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by BroManDude on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

december1205

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Post by december1205 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:32 pm

kylemolodets wrote:Taking a PT on Thursday, and for the first time I'm actually excited because I'm hoping it offers some sort of redemption from my utter failure last time!
Gl!!!!!!

december1205

Bronze

Post by december1205 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Did timed section for PT 36 during lunch break at work.

RC: -3 (after BR, -2. Both questions that I got wrong were from the second passage that i still have a hard time understanding. I spent 11+ on this passage so I had to rush for the last 2 passages)

I hope this means improvement!!! I got RC -6 for my previous lsat (dec 2014) and I'm really hoping to get RC as close as -0.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:26 pm

I've always been a little confused with people saying you should summarize each paragraph for each RC passage, but what I'm realizing is that there almost always is some definitive statement (almost like mini arguments) in each paragraph that illustrates, or at least highlights the gist of that paragraph. If you're ever at lost about what the paragraph is saying, or having trouble understanding the gist of the entire passage it may be helpful to you to latch on to an explicitly stated point in the paragraph and see how it relates to the rest of the passage.
Last edited by ltowns1 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Post removed...

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:I've always been a little confused with people saying you should summarize each paragraph for each RC passage, but what I'm realizing is that there almost always is some definitive statement (almost like many arguments) in each paragraph that illustrates, or at least highlights the gist of that paragraph. If you're ever at lost about what the paragraph is saying, or having trouble understanding the gist of the entire passage it may be helpful to you to latch on to an explicitly stated point in the paragraph and see how it relates to the rest of the passage.
Yeah so that's basically what I do. I kinda treat each paragraph like a mini LR, or just realize that that paragraph is really just an extended premise(s).

Yeah thinking about it in a way that just made me summarize the paragraph made the actual task of doing so more difficult, because it felt abstract. I've always been able to identify what was support, and what was not in very general terms. I haven't been able to identify explicitly how to summarize what the paragraph was actually about. I would say something like"okay this information is supporting the authors point", but never anything clearer than that. I think I've always interpreted summarizing each paragraph to mean make something up in your head that best represents the point. For me, I just couldn't do that. As you said though, there are basically mini arguments in each paragraph, and I realized that you're not really making things up so much as you're identifying what you believe to be the main point, based on what is explicitly stated in the passage. For the few passages that I've started to think of it this way, it's helped tremdously with comprehension.

Wh1teisland

New

Post by Wh1teisland » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:13 pm

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve the LG section? I took the October LSAT and received my score about 2 weeks ago. I was certainly not happy about it. I dominated the LR sections and did all right in the RC section but the LG section was a bust. The strange thing is that my PTs prior to the test date were in the high 160's (165, 169, etc). I think it came down to me panicking during the test and also not practicing the games sufficiently. Or perhaps the ones I did practice were not sufficiently challenging. I definitely think I could have worked harder on studying for the LG section. I'm currently preparing to retake it in December. Any advice/tips would be truly appreciated.

kylemolodets

Bronze

Post by kylemolodets » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Wh1teisland wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to improve the LG section? I took the October LSAT and received my score about 2 weeks ago. I was certainly not happy about it. I dominated the LR sections and did all right in the RC section but the LG section was a bust. The strange thing is that my PTs prior to the test date were in the high 160's (165, 169, etc). I think it came down to me panicking during the test and also not practicing the games sufficiently. Or perhaps the ones I did practice were not sufficiently challenging. I definitely think I could have worked harder on studying for the LG section. I'm currently preparing to retake it in December. Any advice/tips would be truly appreciated.

You're in luck, LG is the most fun thing to drill out of all the sections. Drill drill drill! Work on setting up clear diagrams in the beginning of each game. 7Sage does a great job at explaining things, and even gives time estimates for how long each game should take you. Just expose yourself to as much as possible and get the experience under your belt :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

numb3r4

New

Post by numb3r4 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:34 pm

What do people do to warm up before tests? I seem to consistently do terrible on my first LR section and nail the second one (and third if it's there)! For example, on October I went -9 on the first LR and -1 on the later one, which was after the break. For a while I have been thinking that maybe the first LR just tends to be harder, but I've started to notice that my breakdown is normally -5 to -7 on the first and -1 to -3 on the second, regardless of what I do, so it's probably just me being dumb at the start.

I'm starting to get quite annoyed and am almost considering doing a full LR section as a warm up if I have to. Would love to know what other people are doing!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote: I don't really have any cutoffs or anything. If I take 12 mins for a longer passage I'm fine with that. But generally I keep it around 2 mins for reading/review and then I try for 6 mins on questions.

I try really hard to anticipate and reference for each question and it's really cut down my time.
yeah i think that some passages just take long or are hard.

you mean anticipate qs when reading the psg or when doing qs? how do pack in referring to the psg for each q in around 6 min?

davey jones

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by davey jones » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by davey jones on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

davey jones

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by davey jones » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by davey jones on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Post removed...

Wh1teisland

New

Post by Wh1teisland » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:11 pm

kylemolodets wrote:
Wh1teisland wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to improve the LG section? I took the October LSAT and received my score about 2 weeks ago. I was certainly not happy about it. I dominated the LR sections and did all right in the RC section but the LG section was a bust. The strange thing is that my PTs prior to the test date were in the high 160's (165, 169, etc). I think it came down to me panicking during the test and also not practicing the games sufficiently. Or perhaps the ones I did practice were not sufficiently challenging. I definitely think I could have worked harder on studying for the LG section. I'm currently preparing to retake it in December. Any advice/tips would be truly appreciated.

You're in luck, LG is the most fun thing to drill out of all the sections. Drill drill drill! Work on setting up clear diagrams in the beginning of each game. 7Sage does a great job at explaining things, and even gives time estimates for how long each game should take you. Just expose yourself to as much as possible and get the experience under your belt :D

Thank you. Yes, I'm actually currently in the process of reading the 7Sage LG explanations. Fingers crossed!

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Got a 169 (my highest PT score) today on PT75. I took this this actual test in June and scored in the 150s. How much weight should I put on this PT score, given that I have taken it previously?

LR -2
RC - 6
LR - 2
LG - 2

I haven't looked at this test since the initial score report was released in early July.

davey jones

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by davey jones » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Post removed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

december1205

Bronze

Post by december1205 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:54 pm

GreekOmega12 wrote:Got a 169 (my highest PT score) today on PT75. I took this this actual test in June and scored in the 150s. How much weight should I put on this PT score, given that I have taken it previously?

LR -2
RC - 6
LR - 2
LG - 2

I haven't looked at this test since the initial score report was released in early July.
Have you reviewed the test at all? Did you just do 4 sections as apposed to throwing in the experimental? I agree with the poster below that your previous exposure to the test would have helped with the test.

But don't let that from doubting yourself that you didn't improve! Im sure you definitely improved, and now you can be super energized to dive into the next test. Keep it going!

fishpaste1

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by fishpaste1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by fishpaste1 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

cheeseee

Bronze

Post by cheeseee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Wow, I really envy you :( On Oct test, I missed -0 on LG but missed about -20 on LR. For LG, 7sage videos and do it over and over and over (sorry) and over again.

Wh1teisland

New

Post by Wh1teisland » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:50 pm

cheeseee wrote:
Wow, I really envy you :( On Oct test, I missed -0 on LG but missed about -20 on LR. For LG, 7sage videos and do it over and over and over (sorry) and over again.
Thanks! And damn, it seems like we have what the other is missing. Lol. I did the Powerscore course but I think they could definitely improve their LG explanations. I'm hoping 7Sage and constant drill practices is of great assistance and boosts my score.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”