The Official December 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tvu

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by tvu » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post removed.

Post by SirArthurDayne » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davey jones

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by davey jones » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by davey jones on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Gold

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Post by appind » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:46 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:
appind wrote:anyone who got pt-c rc q20 right the first time must be an RC natural

put in 2 min on this q and still wrong. lsac says no outside knowledge but they bring in outside knowledge for this q. why you do this lsac
I remember that question (I just re-read it though). It was tough for me too when I first did it, but you don't need outside knowledge.
[+] Spoiler
Line 29, which is talking about the Third Period, says "rhetoric regarding a 'new world' resonated..." and line 45, which talks about the Popular Front, says "the party's increasing cautiousness".

So from line 29 you can infer that the Third Period wanted things to change radically and worldwide. Then from line 45 you can infer that the Popular Front was less so in this regard.

Answer choice B says "the final global victory." This fits in perfectly with line 29's saying "new world." Global more or less can mean new world, at least in terms of scale. Basically, from the passage it seems like the Third Period wanted more radical and worldwide change compared to the Popular Front. Since the Popular Front was more cautious, it would be more likely that someone from the Third Period would make such a drastic statement, 'drastic statement' referring to answer choice B.

Also, for these kinds of questions I think its super important to pre-phrase before you look at the ACs. In the context of this question, initially as I'm reading through the passage I'm thinking to myself "Ok, the Third Period is really radical and wants a new world. The Popular Front is less radical." Then, after I read the question stem, I would think to myself "I know from the passage that the third Period is more radical than the Popular Front. So TCR will be something really radical sounding."
yeah I was referring to outside knowledge about
[+] Spoiler
capitalism
in this choice, which is not mentioned or defined the passage. that's why I eliminated it. I was between this and the other close one and the other one is also similarly supported in
[+] Spoiler
"The Popular Front deemphasized involvement in af-am issues" unlike third period.

bnssweeney

Bronze

Post by bnssweeney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Does anyone know where I can get good explanations for the most recent Oct test? I'm currently reviewing it and need some LR and RC explanations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cheeseee

Bronze

Post by cheeseee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Last edited by cheeseee on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheeseee

Bronze

Post by cheeseee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:02 pm

bnssweeney wrote:Does anyone know where I can get good explanations for the most recent Oct test? I'm currently reviewing it and need some LR and RC explanations.
I think we need to wait a bit more for exp. I think lsathack will release explanation soon and prolly 7sage after.

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tvu

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by tvu » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:36 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Hey, all!

Can I get some advice?

I'm planning on doing an hour a day, M-F, from now until June, plus some full PT's on weekends starting in February. Do you think this will be effective/not cause burnout?

AfrocentricAsian

Bronze

Post by AfrocentricAsian » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:44 pm

How do I break the 160s and get into the 170s. My RC is unpredictable but I've been getting pretty good at LR. I'd say I'm close to mastery at LG. Anytime I have a bad RC section or make a stupid mistake I miss the 170 mark and end up around 164-166 -_-. Should I take the test in December? It will be my second take. (classes are not giving me room to study either)

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:
yeah, not that it's not commonplace here, but the test is designed for everyone. and layman's conception of a political theory may be different than what it actually is, so using it the way it's used one has to sort of know how it contrasts with communism to ensure the choice makes sense and is not garbage.

about the other choice part whether the third period would say that, there is evidence that they would in the passage when it talks about effort with lynch law and that it resonated with af-am struggle for survival etc. i guess that's what got me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BroManDude

Silver

Post removed.

Post by BroManDude » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:32 am

Post removed.
Last edited by BroManDude on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigv

New

Post by bigv » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:05 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote: Been doing great in RC though which is nice.
Have you always been great at it or have you improved significantly since first starting? Seems like I can't do any better than a -6 on the newer ones.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:30 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigv

New

Post by bigv » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:47 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
bigv wrote:
Have you always been great at it or have you improved significantly since first starting? Seems like I can't do any better than a -6 on the newer ones.
na I used to be pretty awful and if I have a bad day I can get back to -5/-6. I went -3 in october, and I hit RC pretty hard the week before. I went over all the RCs from 72-75 pretty much sentence by sentence. Did paragraph summaries and went over every question. it really helped me, but it took a lot of time.

ETA: I generally love the way grame blake approaches questions, and ive found a handful of tips and nuggets on his site. heres his free RC advice: http://lsathacks.com/email-course/reading-comprehension/

The bits about speed reading are up to you, really. some love it some don't. I really enjoy what he says at the end of the article though, everything after "a note for skeptics". especially the stuff about spaced repetition. I made some changes in how I read and it seems to have helped.
Thanks. I like the idea of taking 20-30 seconds to skim over the passage. I usually go back to the first paragraph really quickly to refresh my memory on it, but I guess going quickly over the whole thing won't take more than another 20 seconds.

My reading speed could be improved, as I'm either filling in my last bubble as time runs out or I barely have a minute or two left. The bulk of my wrong answers come from the last passage always. They're usually loaded with 7-8 lengthy questions, which is tough to do in the remaining time - usually 5 minutes.

To be clear, I don't usually miss more than a question or two untimed. I'd really benefit from finishing two of the passages in 7 or so minutes, so I have about 10 for the other two.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:34 am

did pt-C LG yesterday and found it very difficult. -1 in 41:55 min.

surprisingly the last game of superprep-C is the same as the notorious pattern game of June'14/pt-72 G4. even after having 72-G4 before, it took me 12 min to the last game.
somethingelse55 wrote: I see what you're saying...Is the LSAT really supposed to be designed for everyone though? I always though it was only for LSAC member schools, which are only in the US and Canada I think? But I could definitely be wrong on that. Either way I see your point about needing to know what capitalism is to be able to make sense of the answer choice or at least be confident about it.
[+] Spoiler
As for the other choice, that's a great point you bring up about the lynch law. I forgot about that detail. I suppose the reason its wrong then is that when the passage is talking about the Popular Front and African American decline, it only talks about a decline in "local government." Whereas the AC is about the highest levels of government, which is reasonably not the same thing as local. So I guess its just wrong for that reason, we don't know that they necessarily didn't want to go after the highest level of government still. Maybe they decided to focus on the highest government and give up on the local (and perhaps less meaningful, scale-wise) issues?
i think some other countries also use lsat in their admissions, but not sure exactly which. i can see the other reason you mentioned for eliminating the other choice. i guess it's minute, so it's interesting that q makers decided that the question would turn on it. i probably would have still missed it on the real deal.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:16 am

Post removed...

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:21 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote: na I used to be pretty awful and if I have a bad day I can get back to -5/-6. I went -3 in october, and I hit RC pretty hard the week before. I went over all the RCs from 72-75 pretty much sentence by sentence. Did paragraph summaries and went over every question. it really helped me, but it took a lot of time.
how much time you put in the passage and how much in questions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pleadthafif

Gold

Post removed...

Post by pleadthafif » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:42 am

Post removed...
Last edited by pleadthafif on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

december1205

Bronze

Post by december1205 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:59 am

pleadthafif wrote:At work but I really wish I was studying. Got a taste of LSAT crack last night, drilled Necessary Assumption and absolutely crushed it.
+1

I really need to take like a month off from work because i dont get to study at all during weekdays (if any, i can study like 1 hr)

december1205

Bronze

Post by december1205 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
bigv wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
bigv wrote:
na I used to be pretty awful and if I have a bad day I can get back to -5/-6. I went -3 in october, and I hit RC pretty hard the week before. I went over all the RCs from 72-75 pretty much sentence by sentence. Did paragraph summaries and went over every question. it really helped me, but it took a lot of time.

ETA: I generally love the way grame blake approaches questions, and ive found a handful of tips and nuggets on his site. heres his free RC advice: http://lsathacks.com/email-course/reading-comprehension/

The bits about speed reading are up to you, really. some love it some don't. I really enjoy what he says at the end of the article though, everything after "a note for skeptics". especially the stuff about spaced repetition. I made some changes in how I read and it seems to have helped.
Thanks. I like the idea of taking 20-30 seconds to skim over the passage. I usually go back to the first paragraph really quickly to refresh my memory on it, but I guess going quickly over the whole thing won't take more than another 20 seconds.

My reading speed could be improved, as I'm either filling in my last bubble as time runs out or I barely have a minute or two left. The bulk of my wrong answers come from the last passage always. They're usually loaded with 7-8 lengthy questions, which is tough to do in the remaining time - usually 5 minutes.

To be clear, I don't usually miss more than a question or two untimed. I'd really benefit from finishing two of the passages in 7 or so minutes, so I have about 10 for the other two.
I think the reading thing has more to do with the fact that people read for comprehension, not structure. You just need to be aware of what and where the info is.

I also changed up my strategy to tackle the passages with the most questions first, and I think that alone has been getting me to finish early.

That's a really good advice. I'll try this method (going for passages with the most questions first) this weekend. Thanks!

kylemolodets

Bronze

Post by kylemolodets » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Taking a PT on Thursday, and for the first time I'm actually excited because I'm hoping it offers some sort of redemption from my utter failure last time!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”