The Official December 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PatriotP74

Silver

The Official December 2015 Study Group

Post by PatriotP74 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:46 am, edited 16 times in total.

Utterson

New

Re: Dec LSAT Study Group

Post by Utterson » Sat May 30, 2015 4:22 pm

In on this thread. Although, we are very early.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:56 am

Honestly, I don't think 6 months is too early to start. (deleted)

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:48 am

LSAT Blog wrote:Honestly, I don't think 6 months is too early to start. (deleted)
(deleted)

I just got all the bibles in and have 10 actual LSATS and the SuperPrep. I don't know how I should begin, I can set aside three hours a day for studying but I don't want to burn out before December.

Shcamz

New

Post by Shcamz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:03 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:Honestly, I don't think 6 months is too early to start. (deleted)
(deleted)

I just got all the bibles in and have 10 actual LSATS and the SuperPrep. I don't know how I should begin, I can set aside three hours a day for studying but I don't want to burn out before December.
Hey man I would get the Cambridge LR and LG 1-39 packets they are extremely useful. Thoroughly go through the LG and LR reasoning bibles and do the corresponding packets as you finish the chapters you read. Make sure to understand why you got an answer wrong. Also 7Sage YouTube videos are probably the best source of LG explanations INMHO since they're free and very well explained. You can also register free on their website and ask questions about specific games. I go through those regardless if I got 7/7 on a logic game or 0/7. I'm also using pieces of PithyPike's study guide, which I believe is a VERY good study guide.

I'm hoping to take the October LSAT, but will push back to December if I am not getting the scores on my PTs that I want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Shcamz wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
(deleted)

Hey man I would get the Cambridge LR and LG 1-39 packets they are extremely useful. Thoroughly go through the LG and LR reasoning bibles and do the corresponding packets as you finish the chapters you read. Make sure to understand why you got an answer wrong. Also 7Sage YouTube videos are probably the best source of LG explanations INMHO since they're free and very well explained. You can also register free on their website and ask questions about specific games. I go through those regardless if I got 7/7 on a logic game or 0/7. I'm also using pieces of PithyPike's study guide, which I believe is a VERY good study guide.

I'm hoping to take the October LSAT, but will push back to December if I am not getting the scores on my PTs that I want.

How would I get a copy of those LG packets? Or do you mean just buying the old exams and making photocopies?

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:07 pm

Shcamz wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
(deleted)

Thanks, I had no idea those packets existed until you said so. I just ordered them today. I'll look at those 7sage as well!

teacups

New

Post by teacups » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm shooting for October to take the LSAT, but I'm also considering waiting until December. I want to apply to schools this year - is the December test considered "late" in the application timeline for law schools? I've heard that taking the LSAT in December is fine, but not "recommended."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:49 pm

teacups wrote:I'm shooting for October to take the LSAT, but I'm also considering waiting until December. I want to apply to schools this year - is the December test considered "late" in the application timeline for law schools? I've heard that taking the LSAT in December is fine, but not "recommended."
I think december wouldn't be too bad but you would be in a better position applying with an october score. LSAT taker increased this past february so hypothetically applications can be on the rise again. December would have you getting your score around the first week of January so you'd want your entire application process all set prior to that and send that shit out ASAP

teacups

New

Post by teacups » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:54 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
teacups wrote:I'm shooting for October to take the LSAT, but I'm also considering waiting until December. I want to apply to schools this year - is the December test considered "late" in the application timeline for law schools? I've heard that taking the LSAT in December is fine, but not "recommended."
I think december wouldn't be too bad but you would be in a better position applying with an october score. LSAT taker increased this past february so hypothetically applications can be on the rise again. December would have you getting your score around the first week of January so you'd want your entire application process all set prior to that and send that shit out ASAP
That's what I was thinking as well - even with an October score, I would have the apps all ready to be sent as soon as my score came in.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:59 pm

teacups wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
That's what I was thinking as well - even with an October score, I would have the apps all ready to be sent as soon as my score came in.
Yeah you should be fine then in that case, I believe you can indicate to schools that you have a pending score

drtamale

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by drtamale » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by drtamale on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:06 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
(deleted)

IMO it would be dumb to spend $25 or any $$ on a study schedule, there are several good ones you can download for free. There's nothing magical about any particular study schedule written for mass consumption, they're basically just calendars that list when to do particular tasks, like 'read Chapter(s) X, do and review questions Y-Z this week/day or Drill and review X-Y weaken questions this day', etc.

You can adapt any of the free ones to different prep books/materials if you want and/or modify them however works best with your schedule and pace of progress once you get started.

Most people that start with a generic study plan written by somebody else that's offered for sale or free to the general public end up having to modify it anyway because other life things get in the way of best intentions to keep up with the specific daily/weekly assignments, going through LSAT materials/assignments thoroughly usually ends up taking a lot more time than people initially anticipate when just starting the prep process, and/or because the study schedule just doesn't fit your time available per week for prep or your rate of progress through each assingment once you dive into materials to complete assignments.

Since you're using the PS Bibles, before you waste any $$ on a generic study plan/schedule you should take a look at the free study plans Powerscore has available for free download for people self studying with their books. They have free 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12 month study plans along with other good free resources available in their free self study help area. The 6 month guide is 58 pages long, detailed, free and written by the author of the PS Bibles himself.

You can find that stuff with this google search:
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=e ... tudy+guide

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Jeffort wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
(deleted)

IMO it would be dumb to spend $25 or any $$ on a study schedule, there are several good ones you can download for free. There's nothing magical about any particular study schedule written for mass consumption, they're basically just calendars that list when to do particular tasks, like 'read Chapter(s) X, do and review questions Y-Z this week/day or Drill and review X-Y weaken questions this day', etc.

You can adapt any of the free ones to different prep books/materials if you want and/or modify them however works best with your schedule and pace of progress once you get started.

Most people that start with a generic study plan written by somebody else that's offered for sale or free to the general public end up having to modify it anyway because other life things get in the way of best intentions to keep up with the specific daily/weekly assignments, going through LSAT materials/assignments thoroughly usually ends up taking a lot more time than people initially anticipate when just starting the prep process, and/or because the study schedule just doesn't fit your time available per week for prep or your rate of progress through each assingment once you dive into materials to complete assignments.

Since you're using the PS Bibles, before you waste any $$ on a generic study plan/schedule you should take a look at the free study plans Powerscore has available for free download for people self studying with their books. They have free 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12 month study plans along with other good free resources available in their free self study help area. The 6 month guide is 58 pages long, detailed, free and written by the author of the PS Bibles himself.

Thanx for that link!

I have no intention of buying any study plan I am really cheap! Lol I noticed on there they recommended going through multiple bibles at a time, I'm wondering if I should do that as well!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:49 am

beantheshadow wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
(deleted)

Thanx for that link!

I have no intention of buying any study plan I am really cheap! Lol I noticed on there they recommended going through multiple bibles at a time, I'm wondering if I should do that as well!
Yeah, you should start going through each of the books and prepping for all three section types somewhat simultaneously rather than only focusing on one section type/prep book at a time until you finish it before moving onto starting to learn about and prepping for another section type with the appropriate book as if the three section types test separate unrelated skills and concepts. Many of the important concepts, skills, techniques, etc. that are important for one section type are also important for, applicable to, and tested in other section types. So, working on prepping for all three section types somewhat simultaneously as you proceed is more efficient and effective since many concepts and skills that are important to build for success in one section type are also important for questions in another section type.

This doesn't mean you work on all three section types (LG, LR & RC) per study session/per day, but does mean that you rotate through working on each one as you prep so that you're learning the fundamentals and building your foundations with the most important concepts and skill sets for all three section types simultaneously as your prep journey progresses.

Each of the three section types has one main overarching general set of skills that is most important for success in the section than the main general skills set that is most important for success in the other section types, but all the important skills and abilities being tested fall under one big umbrella of core skills/abilities.

Overall, all three LSAT section types test the same core skills that can be described very simply: Your ability to read and properly comprehend the substance explicitly presented and your abilities to apply valid reasoning and analysis to the material to make logically valid inferences about the material that are responsive to whichever type of logical task(s) the section type and question type is asking for/designed to test your abilities with.

There are important subsets of fundamental concepts and skill sets for performing well on the LSAT that crossover section types and are important to develop for performing well on multiple section types and different question types. To prep most efficiently and effectively, it's important to build the main crossover skill sets that are important for/apply to multiple section types in the context of each one simultaneously so that you learn how to and get good at applying those concepts and fundamental skills properly in each of the different contexts of how they're tested in different ways in each section type with the corresponding types of material presented and question types asked about it.

For example, conditional logic/conditional reasoning with conditional relationships. It's the most heavily tested type of logic that pervades the LSAT. It's super important and heavily tested both in the LG section and LR sections, but is tested and challenging in different ways in the LG section than in LR questions. Learning, understanding and mastering the concepts of conditional reasoning and how it works is really important for both sections, but the ways you have to apply that conceptual understanding to perform well on LG's is much different and challenging in different ways than it is in the context of LR questions that include conditional reasoning.

So, after learning the underlying concepts of how conditional relationships/conditional reasoning and conditional statements work in general, you then have to learn how to apply those concepts effectively in the context of how conditional relationships are tested and challenging in logic games as well as how to apply the same underlying concepts to how conditional logic is used and tested in the context of various different LR question types. The challenging aspects of dealing with conditional logic/relationships/rules in LG's are much different than how conditional logic is challenging in the context LR questions that involve conditional reasoning/relationships.

The main general skills set that's most important for LR success is the ability to correctly evaluate arguments critically for flaws/assumptions. The subset of skills involved includes the ability to read for reasoning structure in order to properly break down arguments to correctly identify the conclusion(s), distinguish that from the supporting premises, background information and any opposing views/counter-premises, the ability to identify the method of reasoning the argument uses to arrive at the conclusion, and the ability to evaluate the argument for flaws and unwarranted/unsupported assumptions.

The main general skills set that's most important for RC success is the ability to read for and recognize reasoning structure. This includes subset skills such as identifying the main ideas/main points of the passage, distinguishing conclusions/points of view about the main ideas from supporting evidence/premises/details, identifying points of view presented about the main ideas, distinguishing the authors point of view about the main ideas from points of view from other people/entities, figuring out the authors overall main point and purpose of the passage as a whole, etc.

The main general skills set for LG success is the ability to figure out the logical structure imposed on the variables/active elements by the information and set of rules provided in the stimulus, ability to figure out logical deductions (things that must be true/false and things that could be true or false) that are implicitly established by the interaction of the combination of the rules and conditions together as a set, and the ability to draw logically valid inferences/conclusions about what must be true/false, could be true/false when given an additional condition/fact in a question stem.

As you can see, there is a lot of overlap amongst the main important skill sets and related skill subsets for each of the three different section types which makes it so that many things you need to learn and get good at for success in one section type are also applicable and useful for performing well on questions in another section type since they're complimentary/related skills that you need to learn how to properly apply and make use of in the different contexts of the different section types and types of questions asked. Recognizing and understanding the similar overlapping skills and abilities that are essential for success in each different section type is very helpful for prepping efficiently and effectively since concepts you learn and skills you build prepping for one section type can help you more easily and quickly build, expand and adapt the important related/complimentary foundational skills for application to other section types where the same/similar skills are also being tested but just in different ways due to the different context/type of material the various question types are asked about.

Make sense?

I'm sure this is a much longer response than you expected, but hopefully you find it helpful. What do you think?

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Jeffort wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
(deleted)

Thanx for that link!

Yeah, you should start going through each of the books and prepping for all three section types somewhat simultaneously rather than only focusing on one section type/prep book at a time until you finish it before moving onto starting to learn about and prepping for another section type with the appropriate book as if the three section types test separate unrelated skills and concepts. Many of the important concepts, skills, techniques, etc. that are important for one section type are also important for, applicable to, and tested in other section types. So, working on prepping for all three section types somewhat simultaneously as you proceed is more efficient and effective since many concepts and skills that are important to build for success in one section type are also important for questions in another section type.

This doesn't mean you work on all three section types (LG, LR & RC) per study session/per day, but does mean that you rotate through working on each one as you prep so that you're learning the fundamentals and building your foundations with the most important concepts and skill sets for all three section types simultaneously as your prep journey progresses.

Each of the three section types has one main overarching general set of skills that is most important for success in the section than the main general skills set that is most important for success in the other section types, but all the important skills and abilities being tested fall under one big umbrella of core skills/abilities.

Overall, all three LSAT section types test the same core skills that can be described very simply: Your ability to read and properly comprehend the substance explicitly presented and your abilities to apply valid reasoning and analysis to the material to make logically valid inferences about the material that are responsive to whichever type of logical task(s) the section type and question type is asking for/designed to test your abilities with.

There are important subsets of fundamental concepts and skill sets for performing well on the LSAT that crossover section types and are important to develop for performing well on multiple section types and different question types. To prep most efficiently and effectively, it's important to build the main crossover skill sets that are important for/apply to multiple section types in the context of each one simultaneously so that you learn how to and get good at applying those concepts and fundamental skills properly in each of the different contexts of how they're tested in different ways in each section type with the corresponding types of material presented and question types asked about it.

For example, conditional logic/conditional reasoning with conditional relationships. It's the most heavily tested type of logic that pervades the LSAT. It's super important and heavily tested both in the LG section and LR sections, but is tested and challenging in different ways in the LG section than in LR questions. Learning, understanding and mastering the concepts of conditional reasoning and how it works is really important for both sections, but the ways you have to apply that conceptual understanding to perform well on LG's is much different and challenging in different ways than it is in the context of LR questions that include conditional reasoning.

So, after learning the underlying concepts of how conditional relationships/conditional reasoning and conditional statements work in general, you then have to learn how to apply those concepts effectively in the context of how conditional relationships are tested and challenging in logic games as well as how to apply the same underlying concepts to how conditional logic is used and tested in the context of various different LR question types. The challenging aspects of dealing with conditional logic/relationships/rules in LG's are much different than how conditional logic is challenging in the context LR questions that involve conditional reasoning/relationships.

The main general skills set that's most important for LR success is the ability to correctly evaluate arguments critically for flaws/assumptions. The subset of skills involved includes the ability to read for reasoning structure in order to properly break down arguments to correctly identify the conclusion(s), distinguish that from the supporting premises, background information and any opposing views/counter-premises, the ability to identify the method of reasoning the argument uses to arrive at the conclusion, and the ability to evaluate the argument for flaws and unwarranted/unsupported assumptions.

The main general skills set that's most important for RC success is the ability to read for and recognize reasoning structure. This includes subset skills such as identifying the main ideas/main points of the passage, distinguishing conclusions/points of view about the main ideas from supporting evidence/premises/details, identifying points of view presented about the main ideas, distinguishing the authors point of view about the main ideas from points of view from other people/entities, figuring out the authors overall main point and purpose of the passage as a whole, etc.

The main general skills set for LG success is the ability to figure out the logical structure imposed on the variables/active elements by the information and set of rules provided in the stimulus, ability to figure out logical deductions (things that must be true/false and things that could be true or false) that are implicitly established by the interaction of the combination of the rules and conditions together as a set, and the ability to draw logically valid inferences/conclusions about what must be true/false, could be true/false when given an additional condition/fact in a question stem.

As you can see, there is a lot of overlap amongst the main important skill sets and related skill subsets for each of the three different section types which makes it so that many things you need to learn and get good at for success in one section type are also applicable and useful for performing well on questions in another section type since they're complimentary/related skills that you need to learn how to properly apply and make use of in the different contexts of the different section types and types of questions asked. Recognizing and understanding the similar overlapping skills and abilities that are essential for success in each different section type is very helpful for prepping efficiently and effectively since concepts you learn and skills you build prepping for one section type can help you more easily and quickly build, expand and adapt the important related/complimentary foundational skills for application to other section types where the same/similar skills are also being tested but just in different ways due to the different context/type of material the various question types are asked about.

Make sense?

I'm sure this is a much longer response than you expected, but hopefully you find it helpful. What do you think?
No this is really helpful and it makes sense. I'm just really intimidated by the LR section!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FSUHopeful

Bronze

Post by FSUHopeful » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:46 am

Makes sense to me too. Started the POwerscore LG bible. I struggle with LG. I am good up until you have to get all the inferences. I miss some, and I always have to brute force it in.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:04 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
Jeffort wrote:IMO it would be dumb to spend $25 or any $$ on a study schedule, there are several good ones you can download for free. There's nothing magical about any particular study schedule written for mass consumption, they're basically just calendars that list when to do particular tasks, like 'read Chapter(s) X, do and review questions Y-Z this week/day or Drill and review X-Y weaken questions this day', etc.

Thanx for that link!

Law school has high costs, both in opportunity cost (3 years of your life) and financial cost ($100,000 in tuition). Of course, you might not want to buy any LSAT preparation materials that would break the bank. However, the stakes are high enough that I don't think LSAT preparation is an area where you want to be "cheap."

If you come across low-cost prep materials that you believe have the potential to significantly improve your LSAT score, they may be worth the small investment, given the stakes involved (scholarship money, getting into a better school, not having to retake, etc.).

I have further thoughts on this, but don't want to cross the line into saying anything that could be interpreted as "promotional," given the new forum rules.

YupSports

Bronze

Post by YupSports » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:52 pm

In this thread. Was going to take the October administration, but I don't think I could get adequately prepared in that time.

Trying the 7Sage program; I hope it goes well!

Best of luck to everyone and let us hope for some great scores.

teacups

New

Post by teacups » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm

How is everyone planning to study?

For me, it works best if I concentrate on one section at a time (I'm starting with RC first). I tried switching weekly between RC/LR/LG, but that made studying/remembering certain rules more difficult. So far, I've been going through the RC Bible and I'm working on the Manhattan RC text right now (Manhattan is much better, IMO). I've been taking the RC PTs untimed, and so far, I've been getting about -1/-2 questions wrong per section. I'm going to do untimed for a couple of weeks until I get familiar with reading for structure and thoroughly understanding why I got certain questions wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:21 pm

I'll join in. I
m retaking and struggling with the foundation of LR: MBT questions. I get 50/50. I'm going to try Blueprint LSAT. It seems more efficient.

FSUHopeful

Bronze

Post by FSUHopeful » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:02 pm

I'm using the lawschooli 6 month schedule.. I'm on week 7. I'm using the LR bible and LG bible. My weakness is LG, so I've been hitting it hard. RC is my strength. I'd like to skype with like minded students for the Dec. LSAT.

adpitan

New

Post by adpitan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:49 am

I'm about to start studying for the Dec test, just registered this AM for it in Davie, FL. I have the Blueprint Logic Games book and am super close to pulling the trigger to get the Blueprint movie but am hesitating for some reason. Whatever method I choose, I just need to get on it. I have one more masters class that is another 6 weeks and then I can fully focus on the LSAT.

Edited: I just ordered the Blueprint. Yes, I know it's only good until the Oct date but I figure get a start on it now and get the books. If I need to extend the course, I can...for a fee of course, but there's always the option which is nice. I'm totally up for Skype, FaceTime or some other group study if anyone else is interested.
Last edited by adpitan on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlindGuyMcSqueezy

New

Post by BlindGuyMcSqueezy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:09 am

Funny that this thread was asking if there is a Dec study thread, and turned into a Dec study thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”