The Official December 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
flash21

Gold

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Post by flash21 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:03 pm

cheeseee wrote:I dont know what's with me and LR. I re-read manhattan Lr book and I think I get it. But I'm missing so many questions, especially point at issue, paradox, weaken. hmm pretty much all types. lol I don't know what to do. Drilling doesnt seem to help much :(
How long have you been drilling LR? and how exactly are you doing it?

cheeseee

Bronze

Post by cheeseee » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:08 pm

flash21 wrote:
cheeseee wrote:I dont know what's with me and LR. I re-read manhattan Lr book and I think I get it. But I'm missing so many questions, especially point at issue, paradox, weaken. hmm pretty much all types. lol I don't know what to do. Drilling doesnt seem to help much :(
How long have you been drilling LR? and how exactly are you doing it?
Hi :) I've actually taken all the PTs (some timed + untimed), so I'm just re-doing LR questions I've missed in the past. But I miss the same questions over and over again. On October test I missed 20 LR questions, so I really need to work on this. :( I plan to re-do the LR questions I've missed from PT 40+.

CAJOLER

New

Post by CAJOLER » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Hey guys!

So I took PT 53 today because 66 is not exactly fresh and 53 was.

LR -4
LG -4 (wtf)
RC -4 (meh)
LR -1!

I'm happy with how the last LR went, but games are still annoying me. Need to start acing that section...

december1205

Bronze

Post by december1205 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:27 pm

CAJOLER wrote:Hey guys!

So I took PT 53 today because 66 is not exactly fresh and 53 was.

LR -4
LG -4 (wtf)
RC -4 (meh)
LR -1!

I'm happy with how the last LR went, but games are still annoying me. Need to start acing that section...
Yay!! Congrats!! Keep it up

tvu

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by tvu » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post removed.

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

roshan07

Bronze

Post by roshan07 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 pm

took pt 55, thought I was in the 172+ range but bombed RC

Score 168

LR -2
RC -8
LR -1
LG -0

ugh, I will be golden after I fix RC.

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Phoenix97 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post removed.

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Post removed...

dellara

Bronze

Post by dellara » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:15 pm

i want to eat all the bad things

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dellara

Bronze

Post by dellara » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:17 pm

I have the Blueprint Logic Game book which includes video explanations and I have found that watching Blueprint video explanations for games as well as the video explanations on 7sage is really beneficial because it helps you understand the game from every POV and I basically feel like the LG hulk

dellara

Bronze

Post by dellara » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:17 pm

FEEL MY WRATH

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:31 pm

dellara wrote:FEEL MY WRATH
i like yogurt

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:38 pm

Post removed...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Started to take PT 66 and then fell asleep, finally woke up and finished it. So keeping in mind that I had a 3 hour nap in between sections 1 and the 2-4, this is my best test ever!! :D

-1 in RC
-0 in LR #1
-0 in LG
-2 in LR #2

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post removed.

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Post removed.

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post removed.

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Post removed.

mma_litigator

New

Post by mma_litigator » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm wondering IS it worth it to retake dec test or better to apply now with my Oct score and get advantages of applying early?
Took Oct test (first time took the real LSAT) after prepping for about 2.5 months and scored 170. Was hoping for at least 172 on Oct test. Fully timed PT scores in the last 3 weeks leading up to oct test were all 170 or above with all 172-174 scores in last two weeks on PT's 69-74.

Registered for Dec test before scores came out in case I choked and to avoid late reg fee cuz of reg deadline being before LSACs published score release date for Oct test but now I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use my time to finish polishing up my apps and just submit them now or instead get back into hardcore prep and PT mode for dec retake and apply with that score too which will delay when my apps get reviewed until January.

Oct test breakdown:
RC: -2 (was -0 to -2 on 4 of my last PT's and -3 on 2 of my last PTs in last two weeks of prep, mostly stupid hasty mistakes)
LG: -1 (was -0 to -3 on my last 6 PTs in last two weeks before Oct test)
LR: -9 combined, -5 and -4 in the 2 sections (was -2 to -5 per LR section on last 6 PTs)

I used all the recent tests for PTs except PT 75 so I don't have any fresh recent LSATs to practice with for Dec except PT75, so that worries me about being able to improve my score to do better on Dec test. Doing fresh timed PTs with the most recent PT60's-70's LSATs in the last 6 weeks before Oct test and blind reviewing them was what really increased my score up to low 170s almost mid 170s by oct test day. 6 weeks before oct test when I started doing mainly fresh timed tests instead of mainly drilling that I did first month of prep my first few timed PT scores were 160-163 but then I jumped up to high 160s pretty quickly. First few PTs when I started prep were mid 150's.

Getting RC down to -0 to -4 range from roughly -6 to -8 happened pretty fast in the last 6 weeks once I started mainly doing fresh timed PTs with the newest tests and was cuz mainly just getting my timing down and not making hasty split second eliminations of ACs without thinking about them for a couple of seconds. Most of my RC misses on PTs in last 6 weeks were cuz I stupidly eliminated the CR really fast right after reading it without really thinking it through because a certain word or phrase in those CRs just sounded wrong and rubbed me the wrong way on first impression and I stupidly boxed myself in without thinking through what the entire AC said and meant before eliminating it due to just one word or phrase that sounded wrong/OS but that was really just a paraphrase/different wording than used in the passage to talk about the same idea. In short, I got strong on RC after drilling by getting my timing down and reviewing to figure out the dumb hasty mistakes I was making and got myself to stop making them, so not worried about RC.

LG prep and improvement went similar to RC, got myself down to -0 to -3 pretty fast in the last 6 weeks mainly from doing fresh timed recent PTs, getting my timing down and reviewing mistakes to figure out the efficient using deductions, shortcuts and previous work methods to solve questions (especially the hard time trap if you brute force them ones) quickly and efficiently and to double check work to catch and stop making careless mistakes like I was when I first started doing timed practice.

LR is my main nemesis and I'm not sure if I can reasonably expect to significantly improve it by dec to get sections consistently down to -2 or -3 max and do that on test day to make retaking in dec and delaying my apps worth it. On all my PTs from the last 3 weeks before Oct test and all high 160s/170s PTs, almost all my LR misses were on hard questions where I just couldn't see and understand the logic behind the CRs under timed conditions and thought they were wrong and that the traps I picked were correct. Only a few of my LR misses were stupid mistakes, almost all were on questions where I really thought the answer I picked was the logically right one and worked and thought that the CR was logically wrong for some reason. Even when I reviewed most of the LRs I got wrong it took me at least a few minutes or more and/or looking up explanations to really see and understand why the CR was correct and the traps I picked were actually wrong. That kinda scares me and makes me wonder whether I've peaked with my LR skills and retaking dec would be a bad decisions since it's not like timing or stupid mistakes are my LR issues. The really hard and tricky LR questions in each section just seem to get me every time cuz something about the logic of those Qs just doesn't click right (even on blind review with most of them when there's no time pressure) and I end up really thinking the trap answers I pick are logically right and that the CRs are logically wrong somehow.

Have I peaked with my LR skills? Would having my apps delayed by retaking dec test really be worth the risk or would it be better to just apply now with my oct score? My GPA is 3.74 and I'm applying to mostly T14s and some other T1s. I'm not hellbent do or die on HYS so if I don't get into any of those 3 it wouldn't be a big deal to me as long as I get into a good T14 with scholly$$.

What do you guys think? F*ck dec and apply now or roll the dice and hope something magically clicks with the super hard LR questions in the next 4 weeks? Any tips on how to understand and get consistently good at the hardest trickiest LR questions that have been kicking me in the arse and fooling my brain? There isn't any pattern in question types I miss, the pattern is that they're all really hard tricky ones with tricky answer choices.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Hey guys, want to wish everyone good luck!

I was scoring 169/170 and pussed out of the October LSAT with an absence. I'm a splitter so I need a higher LSAT score then that to get into T-14.

I think we'll all crush this test Decebmer :) :) :) :)

mma_litigator wrote:I'm wondering IS it worth it to retake dec test or better to apply now with my Oct score and get advantages of applying early?
Took Oct test (first time took the real LSAT) after prepping for about 2.5 months and scored 170. Was hoping for at least 172 on Oct test. Fully timed PT scores in the last 3 weeks leading up to oct test were all 170 or above with all 172-174 scores in last two weeks on PT's 69-74.

Registered for Dec test before scores came out in case I choked and to avoid late reg fee cuz of reg deadline being before LSACs published score release date for Oct test but now I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use my time to finish polishing up my apps and just submit them now or instead get back into hardcore prep and PT mode for dec retake and apply with that score too which will delay when my apps get reviewed until January.

Oct test breakdown:
RC: -2 (was -0 to -2 on 4 of my last PT's and -3 on 2 of my last PTs in last two weeks of prep, mostly stupid hasty mistakes)
LG: -1 (was -0 to -3 on my last 6 PTs in last two weeks before Oct test)
LR: -9 combined, -5 and -4 in the 2 sections (was -2 to -5 per LR section on last 6 PTs)

I used all the recent tests for PTs except PT 75 so I don't have any fresh recent LSATs to practice with for Dec except PT75, so that worries me about being able to improve my score to do better on Dec test. Doing fresh timed PTs with the most recent PT60's-70's LSATs in the last 6 weeks before Oct test and blind reviewing them was what really increased my score up to low 170s almost mid 170s by oct test day. 6 weeks before oct test when I started doing mainly fresh timed tests instead of mainly drilling that I did first month of prep my first few timed PT scores were 160-163 but then I jumped up to high 160s pretty quickly. First few PTs when I started prep were mid 150's.

Getting RC down to -0 to -4 range from roughly -6 to -8 happened pretty fast in the last 6 weeks once I started mainly doing fresh timed PTs with the newest tests and was cuz mainly just getting my timing down and not making hasty split second eliminations of ACs without thinking about them for a couple of seconds. Most of my RC misses on PTs in last 6 weeks were cuz I stupidly eliminated the CR really fast right after reading it without really thinking it through because a certain word or phrase in those CRs just sounded wrong and rubbed me the wrong way on first impression and I stupidly boxed myself in without thinking through what the entire AC said and meant before eliminating it due to just one word or phrase that sounded wrong/OS but that was really just a paraphrase/different wording than used in the passage to talk about the same idea. In short, I got strong on RC after drilling by getting my timing down and reviewing to figure out the dumb hasty mistakes I was making and got myself to stop making them, so not worried about RC.

LG prep and improvement went similar to RC, got myself down to -0 to -3 pretty fast in the last 6 weeks mainly from doing fresh timed recent PTs, getting my timing down and reviewing mistakes to figure out the efficient using deductions, shortcuts and previous work methods to solve questions (especially the hard time trap if you brute force them ones) quickly and efficiently and to double check work to catch and stop making careless mistakes like I was when I first started doing timed practice.

LR is my main nemesis and I'm not sure if I can reasonably expect to significantly improve it by dec to get sections consistently down to -2 or -3 max and do that on test day to make retaking in dec and delaying my apps worth it. On all my PTs from the last 3 weeks before Oct test and all high 160s/170s PTs, almost all my LR misses were on hard questions where I just couldn't see and understand the logic behind the CRs under timed conditions and thought they were wrong and that the traps I picked were correct. Only a few of my LR misses were stupid mistakes, almost all were on questions where I really thought the answer I picked was the logically right one and worked and thought that the CR was logically wrong for some reason. Even when I reviewed most of the LRs I got wrong it took me at least a few minutes or more and/or looking up explanations to really see and understand why the CR was correct and the traps I picked were actually wrong. That kinda scares me and makes me wonder whether I've peaked with my LR skills and retaking dec would be a bad decisions since it's not like timing or stupid mistakes are my LR issues. The really hard and tricky LR questions in each section just seem to get me every time cuz something about the logic of those Qs just doesn't click right (even on blind review with most of them when there's no time pressure) and I end up really thinking the trap answers I pick are logically right and that the CRs are logically wrong somehow.

Have I peaked with my LR skills? Would having my apps delayed by retaking dec test really be worth the risk or would it be better to just apply now with my oct score? My GPA is 3.74 and I'm applying to mostly T14s and some other T1s. I'm not hellbent do or die on HYS so if I don't get into any of those 3 it wouldn't be a big deal to me as long as I get into a good T14 with scholly$$.

What do you guys think? F*ck dec and apply now or roll the dice and hope something magically clicks with the super hard LR questions in the next 4 weeks? Any tips on how to understand and get consistently good at the hardest trickiest LR questions that have been kicking me in the arse and fooling my brain? There isn't any pattern in question types I miss, the pattern is that they're all really hard tricky ones with tricky answer choices.

I definitely think you could do better in LR. It is my best section at the moment, making at most 1/2 mistakes a section, and I feel like you just need to practice more of it. Whenever you get a mistake, write it down in an excel file and reiterate the reasons for the mistake. I see too many people who get an LR question wrong, look at the right answer, shrug their shoulder with a, "Ah, ok." and go on. In my opinion, that's not the way to do it.

I got the biggest jump in LR when I did enough of them to finally comprehend the (what I call) "assumption line." There is a fine line on what you can assume on the LSAT and what you can't, and I feel like once you get that down it isn't as hard anymore.

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Post removed...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”