The Official December 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kylemolodets

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Post by kylemolodets » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Monkey D Luffy wrote:Help guys. Need advice.

I'm planning to invest in a solid printer that won't breakdown on me. I heard good things about the Brothers brand. Which one would you guys recommend?

This is an old thread but I think it offers some decent insight
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=126304

aaaaaaand

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-printer/

hope that helps!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Post removed...

Monkey D Luffy

Bronze

Post by Monkey D Luffy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:53 pm

kylemolodets wrote:
Monkey D Luffy wrote:Help guys. Need advice.

I'm planning to invest in a solid printer that won't breakdown on me. I heard good things about the Brothers brand. Which one would you guys recommend?

This is an old thread but I think it offers some decent insight
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=126304

aaaaaaand

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-printer/

hope that helps!
helps a lot! i pulled the plug on a brother l2380dw. so far its been good. love it.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Post removed...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post removed.

Post by SirArthurDayne » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:36 am

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheeseee

Bronze

Post by cheeseee » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:02 am

I already took all the PTs except 1-20, but they're too old to use I think. My plan is to drill LR and RC from PT 20-60, and take a full-timed PT from 60+. A bit much, but it's my last try. So doing all I can do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

boslaw56

New

Post by boslaw56 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:55 am

Post Removed.
Last edited by boslaw56 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adozendoughnuts

New

Post by adozendoughnuts » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Hello December folks!

I was going to take the October LSAT, then I took two recent PTs which were way worse than the SuperPrep scores (162 and 159 compared with a 169 and 170). So I decided to regroup and conduct a more formal test prep for myself.

Sunday-Wednesday: Work on 4 biggest weaknesses using LSAT Trainer or Powerscore books
Thursday: Practice Test
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Review Practice Test to Diagnose 4 weakness to work on from Sunday-Wednesday.

I took the December 2014 PT and got a 165. I feel like this is a great start. My RC skills seem to have returned to SuperPrep form (from -9 back to -1) and where I messed up most, logic games, seems to be something I can more easily remedy.

Glad to join the group to offer motivation, commiseration, and doughnuts of course!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZdkVDOWnxI[/youtube]

I love Sweetwater's in Battle Creek! Not enough to apply to Cooley though.

AfrocentricAsian

Bronze

Post by AfrocentricAsian » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:09 pm

boslaw56 wrote:What do you guys do when you drill LR by type? I know the general consensus is read chapter in MLR->drill corresponding type, but what I'm wondering is how you actually structure the drilling? Timed or untimed? Individual or in sections (e.g. 25 questions)? Easy(1) to hard (4) in order, or mix difficulties along the way?

I'm currently thinking about doing individual questions, starting with the easiest and progressing the hardest, and timing how long it takes me to do each one. Not sure if this is a good strategy.
I don't time my sections...but I am just getting used to drilling.

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:44 pm

For people scoring into the 170s in the PT 70s, did you find the reading comprehension section and the Logical Reasoning section to be more difficult than those in the past PTs? I have been averaging from the low to high 160s in the PT 60s, (some were retakes after couple months of not seeing them) but when I took the recent December 2013 exam, I scored a 159.. In the reading comprehension I would usually get 20 or 21 questions correct but for that particular exam, I got 15/27. Also, for LR, I would usually get -6 in total, but for this more recent exam I got about -12. Do you guys have any advice for adjusting for the new PT 70s, if you have noticed that the LR and Reading Comprehension sections had more subtle answer choices and more complex argument structures. I have been doing BR, drilling problem areas and I have pretty much seen a good majority of all the questions from PT 1-71.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boslaw56

New

Post by boslaw56 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Post Removed.
Last edited by boslaw56 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Did PT 44 this morning with review! First time in about four tests I get under 160 (159)

RC: ~10
LR: ~6
LG: ~0
LR: ~9

The strange thing is im starting to feel more and more confident about LR, and I feel like Im starting to see patterns. I just went on a rough streak in section 4 and missed 17-22 but on the first section I got most of the ones I attempted right but didn't have time to get to the last 4 questions.

And reading compression still kills me! :(

GamecocksDT

New

Post by GamecocksDT » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:10 pm

How are you guys practicing RC? Are there any bibles or books that you think help a lot? I'm considering Manhattan's RC book.

venusinfurs16

New

Post by venusinfurs16 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:41 pm

GamecocksDT wrote:How are you guys practicing RC? Are there any bibles or books that you think help a lot? I'm considering Manhattan's RC book.
I found the Manhattan LG materials helpful. I just ordered their RC book, I'll let you know what I think after I delve into it a bit more. Anybody else have experience with it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:11 am

boslaw56 wrote:What do you guys do when you drill LR by type? I know the general consensus is read chapter in MLR->drill corresponding type, but what I'm wondering is how you actually structure the drilling? Timed or untimed? Individual or in sections (e.g. 25 questions)? Easy(1) to hard (4) in order, or mix difficulties along the way?

I'm currently thinking about doing individual questions, starting with the easiest and progressing the hardest, and timing how long it takes me to do each one. Not sure if this is a good strategy.
I'm still going through 7Sage curriculum even though I have already hit up different books on LR/LG/RC (Manhattan and PowerScore). So I might be in a different boat from you, but what I usually do is go along with the corresponding lesson-when I complete the lesson hit up my Cambridge LR bundle by type and do questions untimed. Previously, I was doing large amounts at a time (~100 questions), but now I'm breaking them up in smaller sets so (~50 questions at a time) take a break and then do the other 50 questions. I also review the questions by page, so if I have 3 or 4 questions on a page I will review the one/s I got wrong/wasn't 100% certain I completely understood immediately bc then my recent though process is still fresh. If I can't explain the reasons a question type is wrong, I hit the Manhattan forums. I still hit them even if I can explain, just to see if my reasoning matches up.

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:13 am

GamecocksDT wrote:How are you guys practicing RC? Are there any bibles or books that you think help a lot? I'm considering Manhattan's RC book.
I think their RC book is great, I have been through it once and am going through it again rather slowly. I am also hoping to use the Trainer book for RC sometime this week. I'm worried because on all my preptests thusfar, I have run out of time on the last passage!

kylemolodets

Bronze

Post by kylemolodets » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:53 am

ngogirl12 wrote: I have run out of time on the last passage!
I am right there with you, I ALWAYS run out of time on the last passage.

I spent most of my week studying from the trainer and I only did about 30 problems from the flaw drill packet. I tried sitting down to do PT 40 something and after 20 minutes had to just stop because I just couldn't focus (probably from the combination of hearing snow melt and bang on the window and starting with a RC sections). That was the first time I had ever been so out of it. Meh. Here's to hoping I can get more focused and not overwhelmed by every PT.

adozendoughnuts

New

Post by adozendoughnuts » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Reading Comprehension is now one of my best subjects in the LSAT. When I took it many years ago, I always used to run out of time. Now I have a trick so I have time to really review the questions.

1. I first go to the questions and underline any words, phrases, names, places, etc which pertain to the topic at hand. I keep these underlined words in mind as something i watch out for as I read the passage.

2. I then skim the passage, underlining anything involving the words I underlined in the questions as well as other information which comes across as pertinent.

3. I answer questions pertaining to specific areas first and general questions last. As you go over the questions that contain the parts, you get an idea of the whole.

In terms of what order I do the passages, I usually do the passages with the most questions first so I get a bit more bang for my buck when it comes to time and the ones with the least questions last. Complexity and topic upon first glance is usually a tiebreaker if two passages have the same number of questions.

For comparative reading, remember to do one passage at a time. Read A and do all the questions for A. Read B and do all the questions for B. Then you should be able to do all the questions that pertain for both.

Hopefully that can save y'all time for RC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

venusinfurs16

New

Post by venusinfurs16 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:34 pm

adozendoughnuts wrote:Reading Comprehension is now one of my best subjects in the LSAT. When I took it many years ago, I always used to run out of time. Now I have a trick so I have time to really review the questions.

1. I first go to the questions and underline any words, phrases, names, places, etc which pertain to the topic at hand. I keep these underlined words in mind as something i watch out for as I read the passage.

2. I then skim the passage, underlining anything involving the words I underlined in the questions as well as other information which comes across as pertinent.

3. I answer questions pertaining to specific areas first and general questions last. As you go over the questions that contain the parts, you get an idea of the whole.

In terms of what order I do the passages, I usually do the passages with the most questions first so I get a bit more bang for my buck when it comes to time and the ones with the least questions last. Complexity and topic upon first glance is usually a tiebreaker if two passages have the same number of questions.

For comparative reading, remember to do one passage at a time. Read A and do all the questions for A. Read B and do all the questions for B. Then you should be able to do all the questions that pertain for both.

Hopefully that can save y'all time for RC.
Thank you!! Definitely going to give the tackle-the-most-question-intensive-passage-first thing a try.

i_wish_i_was_smart

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by i_wish_i_was_smart » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DoYouEvenTLS

Bronze

Post by DoYouEvenTLS » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Not a big coffee drinker.....I actually don't drink coffee at all.....but I decided to drink a cup of coffee today prior to a PT to see if it would give me a "boost" or something of that sort..... awful idea

I was reading about 10000 MPH without understanding anything.....and I can still feel my heart racing

note to self: don't ever do that again

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:19 pm

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:Not a big coffee drinker.....I actually don't drink coffee at all.....but I decided to drink a cup of coffee today prior to a PT to see if it would give me a "boost" or something of that sort..... awful idea

I was reading about 10000 MPH without understanding anything.....and I can still feel my heart racing

note to self: don't ever do that again

Haha, I never drink coffee but I've been seriously considering drinking it if it might be able to help me focus more....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”