The Official December 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
appind

Gold

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Post by appind » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote: yup it was very very funky, i think i spent 5 mins on it.
how are you handling such questions that are sorta different than norm? i couldn't bring myself to pick the credited one just because of the glaring issue with it.[/quote]

elimination, i was very confident the others were way more wrong. unfortunately its the only thing that actually flowed with the structure of the argument.
[+] Spoiler
if instead, in that second premise, they some something like "assuming that not knowing is more relaxing than knowing" you wouldnt have had any issue with it right? you would have been willing to go on and say relaxing can reduce pain. structurally that makes some sense and, more importantly does not violate anything
[/quote]
[+] Spoiler
that'd still be an issue due to correlation to causation, no. i can see how it structurally makes sense though. for B, we know that those who have more pain correlate with some beneficial effects (i.e. less stress). so is it wrong because it refers to pain being beneficial to some extent for "all" heart patients when the benefits of pain only go to patients with uncertainty? i assume that language of B doesn't necessarily suggest pain causes benefits and only that that these two go together.
[/quote]

[+] Spoiler
A isnt strictly causal.

"Sometimes reduces" could mean once. We have to assume the premises and conclusions are true, and here were given one scenario where people were stressed, and their pain went down. In the absence of anything else we might be able to infer that stress might have played a role. This is too vague to concretely bring up a correlation causation issue.

We have no idea if this was even beneficial, or if the pain was beneficial. The biggest issue with B isn't (imho) about the "all patients".
"Benefit" as a concept isn't talked about here in the stim. Who benefitted? One group had decreased pain, so they benefitted, less? With respect to what? We don't even know if these patients lived through the study. And if this were true, the group with more pain was better off in some way?
All the patients in this study could have died, and the group who didn't know if they were going to get treatment were so stressed their endorphins kicked in and they felt amazing, but died.
[/quote]

thanks, this is resolved.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:11 pm

forum_user wrote:
Phoenix97 wrote:So glad I learned how foolish and counterproductive it is to put a shitload of pressure on myself.

Just about every person I've spoken with who went 170/+ emphasized having a positive and confident attitude above all else, and to not go too hard on studying the week before the test.
"Everyone I've spoken to who scored higher than 170 on the LSAT emphasized having a positive and confident attitude above all else. Therefore, because I feel positive and confident, I am sure to score at least a 170 on Saturday."

This is literally how I think of everything now.
:cry:
So much of me wants to tell you that you are confusing whatbis necessary with what is sufficient, or confusing correlation with causation, or basing the conclusion of an unrepresentative population.

But instead, I'm going to tell you that you're right. Be as positive/confident as you can and your score will reflect it.
This is coming from a girl who cried stress tears for an hour last night, and is forcefully positive today. You can do it!!

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:14 pm

All of my sections went pretty amazing today. Think I'm done. Will warm up tomorrow morning in the car ride over but feeling a lot better than my previous two takes. AHHH

contrabergin

New

Post by contrabergin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:16 pm

slizerd wrote:
forum_user wrote:
Phoenix97 wrote:So glad I learned how foolish and counterproductive it is to put a shitload of pressure on myself.

Just about every person I've spoken with who went 170/+ emphasized having a positive and confident attitude above all else, and to not go too hard on studying the week before the test.
"Everyone I've spoken to who scored higher than 170 on the LSAT emphasized having a positive and confident attitude above all else. Therefore, because I feel positive and confident, I am sure to score at least a 170 on Saturday."

So much of me wants to tell you that you are confusing whatbis necessary with what is sufficient, or confusing correlation with causation, or basing the conclusion of an unrepresentative population.

But instead, I'm going to tell you that you're right. Be as positive/confident as you can and your score will reflect it.
This is coming from a girl who cried stress tears for an hour last night, and is forcefully positive today. You can do it!!
i'm so glad i'm not the only one who has been crying. i've been on and off since sat/sun with the crying.

i_wish_i_was_smart

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by i_wish_i_was_smart » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:30 pm

i_wish_i_was_smart wrote:PT 68 has a hard LG section. Game 4 takes 10-15 minutes. So many possibilities :shock: It proves that there doesn't need to be a misc game for the section to be hard.
just looked back at it. that game was ridiculous.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:36 pm

contrabergin wrote:
slizerd wrote:
forum_user wrote:

i'm so glad i'm not the only one who has been crying. i've been on and off since sat/sun with the crying.
You are most certainly not the only one. I rarely cry when I'm sad, but I get those super annoying frustration/stress tears. I was in the middle of a conversation the other day about lifting weights, totally unrelated to LSAT, but it made me think of LSAT and then the frustration tears started. So pumped to be DONE with this thing haha

i_wish_i_was_smart

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by i_wish_i_was_smart » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:55 pm

If someone knows how to take all of the cycle data I have from a PDF and put into a format in Markdown that I can publish in Ghost, I could share with everyone the super important cycle data right now. As it stands I have no idea...stupid new blog.
Last edited by ms9 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I kinda want to go to the library and study things.

I kinda want to do absolutely nothing and sleep.
I did like 4 sections today. Feels good man

WorthlessDegree

Bronze

Post by WorthlessDegree » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Best to luck to everyone on the exam!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 pm

I gave up on how to format it, you folks can figure it out. Here is the LSAT bandwidth information

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2015-1 ... data-lsat/

I have regional, gender, ethnicity and school info I will tweet the links to when I can frustratingly get this new blog figured out.

mintme

Bronze

Post by mintme » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Okay, y'all can add this to the list of stupid questions I've asked but can someone clarify what LSAC means when they say in block letters write your name, test date, etc. on the back of your picture for your ticket?

I'm paranoid lol

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:12 pm

mintme wrote:Okay, y'all can add this to the list of stupid questions I've asked but can someone clarify what LSAC means when they say in block letters write your name, test date, etc. on the back of your picture for your ticket?

I'm paranoid lol
Capital letters are fine.

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:13 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I gave up on how to format it, you folks can figure it out. Here is the LSAT bandwidth information

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2015-1 ... data-lsat/

I have regional, gender, ethnicity and school info I will tweet the links to when I can frustratingly get this new blog figured out.
This seems bad, very bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

i_wish_i_was_smart

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by i_wish_i_was_smart » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Post removed...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Post removed...

mintme

Bronze

Post by mintme » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:25 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
mintme wrote:Okay, y'all can add this to the list of stupid questions I've asked but can someone clarify what LSAC means when they say in block letters write your name, test date, etc. on the back of your picture for your ticket?

I'm paranoid lol
Capital letters are fine.
Thanks! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dexter97

Bronze

Post by Dexter97 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:26 pm

i_wish_i_was_smart wrote:Last year's December Study Group thread had 355 pages by test day. :shock:

mintme

Bronze

Post by mintme » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
i_wish_i_was_smart wrote:Last year's December Study Group thread had 355 pages by test day. :shock:
Quality not quantity
+1

velvet-lou

Silver

Post removed.

Post by velvet-lou » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by velvet-lou on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Post removed...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”