Suggestions on which ONLINE prep course to take?

gocougs509

Suggestions on which ONLINE prep course to take?

Postby gocougs509 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Hey guys,

I am new to this board, just finished up my undergrad at Washington State University and plan to take the LSAT October 3rd. I am the director of student legal services here at WSU and will be staying on campus for the summer to work and therefore cant take an in person lsat prep course. I have done a lot of research on all the different companies that offer online prep courses, but I wanted to ask all the members of this board if you had any particularly good or bad experiences with any of them. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

KMart

Re: Suggestions on which ONLINE prep course to take?

Postby KMart » Wed May 27, 2015 4:25 pm

I took Testmasters but found it to be a waste of money. I guess it's okay if you need a regimented schedule and don't mind dropping the $1,000+, but I found it only good for giving me a rudimentary understanding of the test. To really learn and really raise my score, self-studying was it for me. The Bibles and Manhattan Test Prep books are what I read and I used the Cambridge packets to drill the hell out of old questions and practice test myself frequently. There's a lot of guides on this forum; you were smart for coming here :D. Best of luck.

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Wed May 27, 2015 4:28 pm

What Kmart said, and also 7sage video explanations for logic games (they're free I believe).

I took a Powerscore in-person course, and also found it to be a waste... They show you methods, then you learn and get faster by applying them and doing all the homework. Something I could easily do on my own. I'll be retaking in October also and will probably pay for the 7sage starter course... It's $179 I believe. There are a lot of good resources on the 7sage website, some free.

Also, I have heard that Velocity has a pretty good online program as well.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed May 27, 2015 4:32 pm

I've heard great things about 7sage but I simply never used it so I have no idea.

eb91

Postby eb91 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:33 pm

I took the Testmaster's online and went from 152 to 179. I absolutely recommend it. Self studying is great if it works for you, I just liked the structure of Testmaster's.

tx1990

Postby tx1990 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:51 pm

I took the Kaplan online course, and while I did go up 10 points (with minimal effort on my part), I would not recommend it. Their teaching approach isn't the best. It's very basic but at the same time convoluted. It spends way too much time on basic skills and isn't really helpful if your already PTing at 160+. I only realized how bad their teaching approach was, when I started self-studying with the Powerscore bibles.

I got lucky and had a good teacher, but that's not always guaranteed. My only advice would be whatever company you go with look at their teachers reviews for that region you're in because even if the course has great reviews a bad/good teacher can make or brake the course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”