Retaking but getting a course....how much time do I need to study?

MightiHeidi

Retaking but getting a course....how much time do I need to study?

Postby MightiHeidi » Tue May 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Background: I took both the December 2014 and February 2015 LSAT, both by self study. Scores were basically the same.

I am planning on retaking one more time this fall, but this time I'm going to sign up for Manhattan LSAT for an in person class. I figured I would have a much better chance at raising my score learning from an expert rather than trying to teach myself from nothing.

My only question is...how much time is enough time to study???
I already have a good handling on all the concepts of the LSAT (I used the LSAT Trainer for my self study and brought my score up 13 points from my diagnostic), but I think my main issue is tackling the last of the small concepts and testing techniques that would push my score just a little higher. Since I already understand most of the material, should I still do a three month study program? Or would that be overkill/waste of time/money?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BasilHallward

Re: Retaking but getting a course....how much time do I need to study?

Postby BasilHallward » Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 pm

MightiHeidi wrote:Background: I took both the December 2014 and February 2015 LSAT, both by self study. Scores were basically the same.

I am planning on retaking one more time this fall, but this time I'm going to sign up for Manhattan LSAT for an in person class. I figured I would have a much better chance at raising my score learning from an expert rather than trying to teach myself from nothing.

My only question is...how much time is enough time to study???
I already have a good handling on all the concepts of the LSAT (I used the LSAT Trainer for my self study and brought my score up 13 points from my diagnostic), but I think my main issue is tackling the last of the small concepts and testing techniques that would push my score just a little higher. Since I already understand most of the material, should I still do a three month study program? Or would that be overkill/waste of time/money?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What was your first diagnostic score, what were your practice test scores leading up to each test, and what scores did you get on the real tests? These are crucial numbers to know. If you scored 163ish+ on the real tests and you have hit 166ish+ on practice tests, then I don't think taking an in-person course will get you very far. These courses are designed, by and large, to get folks from the 150 range up to the 160 range. There are exceptions and you may pick up a few interesting nuggets, but most people there are learning the basics. If, however, your scores are not escaping the 150's, then yes, you need to look into a course so that you can polish the fundamentals.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 am

Post removed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”