Brain Fog: how do you deal with it Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Panoptikon

New

Brain Fog: how do you deal with it

Post by Panoptikon » Tue May 26, 2015 1:05 am

Hey all,

I've done my best to relax the previous week in preparation for the Oct LSAT. I slept well. Ate well. Avoided caffeine entirely. I woke up today at 7:30am to arrive at my study location by 8:25am. This was the first day of my prep. But I've been waking at 7am for 5 days a week this past semester. So it's no biggie. Still, when I cracked open my prep books, there I was struggling with brain fog. I've experienced brain fog before. But these were under far worse circumstances. Worse still, I promised myself I wouldn't rely on caffeine in my LSAT prep. So I couldn't drink any coffee to get me going. I've adjusted my diet to optimize my studying, and did so an entire week ago. I was well-rested too. That's why this is puzzling.

Seems like I have three options: (1) continue waking in the morning and hope the brain fog disappears with time; (2) do my studying at night when I'm far more productive; or (3) start taking energy drinks again in order to study in the morning. What would you all recommend based on past experience with this?

Thanks!

JackelJ

Silver

Re: Brain Fog: how do you deal with it

Post by JackelJ » Tue May 26, 2015 1:13 am

Exercise for 20-30 minutes in the morning before studying. It should be more effective than option 1 or 3 and you want to get used to using your brain in the morning since the test is in the morning.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:46 am

Get up earlier. My brain can't function at peak performance until it's been awake at least a couple hours, and you may be the same way.

Also, caffeine.

rubberplant2020

New

Post by rubberplant2020 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 am

The best thing is to practice getting up earlier. Also drink a glass of coke, and eat an apple before you prep. Even if your used to drinking coffee this combo should help and will have a clean feel to it.

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Tue May 26, 2015 10:02 am

rubberplant2020 wrote:The best thing is to practice getting up earlier. Also drink a glass of coke, and eat an apple before you prep. Even if your used to drinking coffee this combo should help and will have a clean feel to it.
Coke gives a clean feel?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Post by PrizeFighter » Tue May 26, 2015 10:13 am

JackelJ wrote:Exercise for 20-30 minutes in the morning before studying. It should be more effective than option 1 or 3 and you want to get used to using your brain in the morning since the test is in the morning.
I had the same issue, and a quick exercise worked great for me. Also, I started doing a few throwaway warm-up problems before practice tests. I didn't even bother grading these; they were strictly to get the juices flowing, and I did the same thing in the parking lot before the real test.

rubberplant2020

New

Post by rubberplant2020 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:13 am

kevgogators wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:The best thing is to practice getting up earlier. Also drink a glass of coke, and eat an apple before you prep. Even if your used to drinking coffee this combo should help and will have a clean feel to it.
Coke gives a clean feel?
You heard me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”