Post removed...

drtamale

Post removed...

Postby drtamale » Wed May 20, 2015 1:41 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by drtamale on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

basedvulpes

Post removed.

Postby basedvulpes » Wed May 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: How do you guys "study" 6 months + for the LSAT ??

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 20, 2015 1:49 pm

basedvulpes wrote:$$$$$

Yup.

drtamale

Post removed...

Postby drtamale » Wed May 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by drtamale on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Wed May 20, 2015 2:22 pm

drtamale wrote:im retaking in june and will have 4-5 weeks studying by the time of the test. at this point i feel really good about greatly improving my score. (i took it 5 years ago with no studying, didnt apply until this year.) id go crazy practicing this dang test much longer. but if i did practice for 6 months or more, it seems it would be really hard to get any less than a 170 or so. i just had no idea how long people take to prepare for this test and am kind of amazed.

I did it for just under a year. Product of working full time/having a life. Both kept interrupting and it was a constant battle to remain focused and keep pushing forward. I found a study partner at the beginning of the process and met with him 2-5 times a week (and actually still do, odd how habits form). I scheduled and postponed the test twice.

The first two-three months were a waste and I didn't know what I was doing. I basically just took the test over and over again and hoped to improve--which I did, but just not very fast (high 150s- to mid 160s). The next six-eight months I systematically attached logic games with the tail end of that including logical reasoning (mid 160s to low 170s) while still taking the test over and over again. I took time off from work in the month before the test and burned through all available recent LSATs. In the end I took 60+ LSATs and was quite satisfied with my score.

You do go crazy taking the test--many times my study partner and I realized that we sounded crazier than the mentally ill homeless people in the public library with us. But it's worth it?

Generally

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Wed May 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:00 pm

You're right to put "study" in quotation marks. I've been nominally studying for over a year, but I've probably only put in one or two months of serious effort (including rebuilding my LG skills after they atrophied during long breaks). I think a lot of 6+ month studiers are like this: they don't actually do more work than someone who crams for a month or two; they just study at a slower pace.

But there are indeed people who study intensely for many months, and I can't understand that either. Props to them for having that willpower and discipline, but it seems mind-numbingly boring to study all that time, and if you need to study 20 hours per week for 6 months to get 170, maybe you just aren't cut out for a top law school anyway?

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed May 20, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm unemployed and have a shitty Liberal arts degree and a mediocre GPA. and I'm a URM. Having a high LSAT is critical and pretty much necessary for my chances of getting good offers from good schools, so I'm pretty much going all in on this hand. I been "studying" periodically since last July and took it once in Feb after postponing in Dec. I thought I'd break 170 since I was PTing around that but ended up coming up short by a few points. My parents are shocked that after opening up the prepbooks 10 months ago I'm still studying but I still think I can make significant improvement before June. I'm not naturally a good test-taker, did pretty average on my SATs, so I know that I had to put in an insane amount of time studying in order to score high. Thinking of that before studying everyday over damn near a year is what keeps me motivated.

Generally

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Wed May 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Wed May 20, 2015 4:23 pm

I think the answer here is pretty straightforward. It's not about the amount of weeks/months studied, it's about the amount of hours. If you are in the real world and have a particularly demanding job you aren't going to be able to rack up hours as quickly, so you might have to study on and off over a longer period of time to catch up to the college kids racking up hours day by day.

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Wed May 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Seamus887 wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
basedvulpes wrote:$$$$$

Yup.

+1

1 or 2 points on the LSAT can literally mean thousands of dollars. Why wouldn't I put in the effort for a few months of my life when it will affects years.

My college roommate and I had the exact same UG GPA. He was KJD and went to TTT for $$, lost conditional scholly. I studied, got good LSAT and did substantially better both in ranking and in $$. The impact of this stupid test on your prospects is ridiculous.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”