Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Panoptikon
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby Panoptikon » Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 pm

Hey all,

I took a prep course with Blueprint last summer in the hope of taking the September LSAT. I wasn't able to get my timing down, however, so I didn't end up taking it. I'm going to start prepping again for the Sept/Oct LSAT. I was wondering if (a) I should simply review all of my BP prep books or (b) start from scratch with 7sage (which I've heard is superior to BP). If (a) I'll likely be able to dedicate more time to taking and carefully reviewing prep tests. If (b) I'll likely be able to improve my scores with 7Sage's (presumably) superior LSAT methodology.

FWIW: My diagnostic was a 158. I missed two entire LGs. I went in completely cold. I only took one PT afterward. This was about a month into my prep course. I got a 173 untimed (~5 extra minutes per section). For those wondering, I haven't taken a PT afterward since I want to get a 180 untimed before taking timed PTs. While BP has been very helpful with RC and LG, I've found its methods for LR to be too rigorous to apply in the time allotted on a timed exam. I'll likely be able to dedicate all of my time from now until the Sept/Oct LSAT to prep. With that in mind, what would you all recommend?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback!

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby Clemenceau » Tue May 19, 2015 7:21 pm

I think you need to ditch the "only untimed until I hit 180" spiel. I see how it could be useful, but frankly, timing was the single most important aspect of the lsat for me. Start timing yourself.

Also, wrt preptest companies, if you really are 173+ untimed already, then I wouldnt count on some course or book or whatever taking you to the next level. For me at least, once I was that far along, the only thing that was still useful was 7sages lg videos, because JY usually had solid game setups that I sometimes wouldn't think of. Other than that, my last few months of studying was basically me learning how to use 35 minutes most effectively on each section.

So, back to my original point, start timing yourself.

If it helps my credibility: 175 test day score.

179orBust
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:57 am

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby 179orBust » Tue May 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Clemenceau wrote:I think you need to ditch the "only untimed until I hit 180" spiel. I see how it could be useful, but frankly, timing was the single most important aspect of the lsat for me. Start timing yourself.

Also, wrt preptest companies, if you really are 173+ untimed already, then I wouldnt count on some course or book or whatever taking you to the next level. For me at least, once I was that far along, the only thing that was still useful was 7sages lg videos, because JY usually had solid game setups that I sometimes wouldn't think of. Other than that, my last few months of studying was basically me learning how to use 35 minutes most effectively on each section.

So, back to my original point, start timing yourself.

If it helps my credibility: 175 test day score.


Any chance you can post some tips on dealing with timing? Timing seems to be my main obstacle right now. Hitting 173+ On BR, but only 164 timed. Have taken 4 practice exams so far if that matters.Thanks!

Panoptikon
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby Panoptikon » Wed May 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Clemenceau wrote:I think you need to ditch the "only untimed until I hit 180" spiel. I see how it could be useful, but frankly, timing was the single most important aspect of the lsat for me. Start timing yourself.

Also, wrt preptest companies, if you really are 173+ untimed already, then I wouldnt count on some course or book or whatever taking you to the next level. For me at least, once I was that far along, the only thing that was still useful was 7sages lg videos, because JY usually had solid game setups that I sometimes wouldn't think of. Other than that, my last few months of studying was basically me learning how to use 35 minutes most effectively on each section.

So, back to my original point, start timing yourself.

If it helps my credibility: 175 test day score.


Thanks for the response! I'm still going to survey the available LSAT test-prep literature just to make sure I have a solid methodology before seriously PTing. But your comment on timing definitely holds true.

User avatar
JackelJ
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby JackelJ » Sat May 23, 2015 8:59 am

I also took a BP class last summer and postponed. I found their LR to be pretty comparable to those of other prep companies. I don't think you will get very different methods of approaching each type of LR from other companies. I picked up the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim and the Cambridge packets (not necessary because I had all the Blueprint stuff but I liked how they were organized better than the Blueprint stuff) and drilled all of the questions by type as I went through the the Trainer. I got faster at the methods by drilling and now I have no timing issues on LR.

Panoptikon
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby Panoptikon » Sun May 24, 2015 1:35 pm

JackelJ wrote:I also took a BP class last summer and postponed. I found their LR to be pretty comparable to those of other prep companies. I don't think you will get very different methods of approaching each type of LR from other companies. I picked up the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim and the Cambridge packets (not necessary because I had all the Blueprint stuff but I liked how they were organized better than the Blueprint stuff) and drilled all of the questions by type as I went through the the Trainer. I got faster at the methods by drilling and now I have no timing issues on LR.


Hmm. I was wondering whether I should purchase the Cambridge packets. IIRC, however, the BP course books (lessons 1-16) already organize PTs 1-40(?) by question type. Thanks for the response nonetheless. Wishing you the best of luck this time around!

User avatar
JackelJ
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby JackelJ » Sun May 24, 2015 3:20 pm

Panoptikon wrote:
JackelJ wrote:I also took a BP class last summer and postponed. I found their LR to be pretty comparable to those of other prep companies. I don't think you will get very different methods of approaching each type of LR from other companies. I picked up the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim and the Cambridge packets (not necessary because I had all the Blueprint stuff but I liked how they were organized better than the Blueprint stuff) and drilled all of the questions by type as I went through the the Trainer. I got faster at the methods by drilling and now I have no timing issues on LR.


Hmm. I was wondering whether I should purchase the Cambridge packets. IIRC, however, the BP course books (lessons 1-16) already organize PTs 1-40(?) by question type. Thanks for the response nonetheless. Wishing you the best of luck this time around!

Thanks! And yes, you get all available LSAT questions except for a few LGs that are only in their seperate LG book (or at least I got all questions from PT1-70 between the books and extra drills to download online, but not sure if they still do that since LSACs rules regarding PDF downloads has changed). However, I was stupid and used pen when I was going through the books so when I wanted to re drill the questions it was problematic. You certainly don't need the Cambridge packets, but that's why I got them.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby appind » Mon May 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Anyone use lawschooli.com Mastermind Group?

interested to know how its weekly live office hours, priority access etc are and if tutors are responsive, helpful etc.

User avatar
Cochran
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Blueprint vs. 7Sage

Postby Cochran » Fri May 29, 2015 11:02 am

appind wrote:Anyone use lawschooli.com Mastermind Group?

interested to know how its weekly live office hours, priority access etc are and if tutors are responsive, helpful etc.


Bump




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jagerbom79 and 7 guests