PT 54, S2, Q18

179orBust

PT 54, S2, Q18

Postby 179orBust » Sun May 17, 2015 5:19 pm

If anyone can help with this question I'd really appreciate it. The main problem I'm having is why we treat this as a SA question (the correct answer bridges the gap), when it's a principle conform question. TIA

Christine (MLSAT)

Re: PT 54, S2, Q18

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Mon May 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Before getting into the meat of the problem, can I ask how you think a principle-conform question ought to be worked through, and how that's different from working through an SA question?

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Mon May 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks Christine. I treat a principle conform question much like an inference question. I do my best to understand the principle in the stimulus and see which choice is true, or not true, because of it. Is my approach for these questions wrong? That's why this specific question gave me trouble. I mapped out the conditional logic and tried looking for a choice that stayed consistent with the stimulus. The correct answer, however, seems to bridge the gap.

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Tue May 19, 2015 11:05 am

Ahhhhhh, I see what you're doing.

Okay, so the question type that you're describing is one where there's a principle given to you directly in the stimulus (generally as a clear conditional statement), and then you have to find the situation in an answer choice that matches it. Wording of the stem might be: "Which one of the following judgments most closely conforms with the principle cited above?" My friends and I call these Principle-example questions. Treating these as a sort of inference question is not unreasonable.

But 54-2-18 does the opposite of that. The argument is in the stimulus, and the principle is in the answer choices. These are more Principle-support. A very similar question type would be "Which of the following principles, if valid, most helps to justify the argument above?" This whole family of principle questions is far more like strengthen questions. (A lot of the correct answers would qualify as a Sufficient Assumption also, but not all of them - it's a little safer to think of them as strengtheners-that-can-look-like-sufficient-assumptions.)

You sound like you understand why the right answer strengthens, so I think this is just a stem-interpretation/task-clarity issue. What do you think?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”