LSAT Re-take advice

beantheshadow

LSAT Re-take advice

Postby beantheshadow » Sat May 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I wish I discovered this forum before I started my application process last year! My LSAC GPA is 3.67 and my LSAT score was 150. At first I really wanted to stay close to home (Phoenix) and I felt excited/compelled to start law school in the FALL. I was rejected from my top choice (ASU) and waitlisted at UA. The closest school I've been accepted to did give me a partial scholarship but after reading so many posts on here it doesn't seem worth it. I still haven't made my decision yet but everyday I'm leaning toward taking another crack at the LSAT.

If I do, I think I would want to take a LSAT course, particularly Testmasters. The next course does not start until July, do you think I should wait until then to start studying again or should I self-study? I do not want to pick up bad habits doing it alone but I do want to give the LSAT 100% attention this time.

Thanks for any advice.

still

Re: LSAT Re-take advice

Postby still » Sat May 16, 2015 6:43 pm

what was your score breakdown like? are you running out of time on any of the sections?

I, along with many/most on this forum, highly recommend the powerscore LSAT bibles, particularly for the LG and LR sections. I've never taken an LSAT course and can't speak for them but the bibles have all the knowledge you need.

the advantage of self studying is you can choose your pace and focus on your own weaknesses. courses give you structure.

i would go through the bibles and then just power through practice tests but thats me

giantswan

Postby giantswan » Sat May 16, 2015 10:28 pm

still wrote:what was your score breakdown like? are you running out of time on any of the sections?

I, along with many/most on this forum, highly recommend the powerscore LSAT bibles, particularly for the LG and LR sections. I've never taken an LSAT course and can't speak for them but the bibles have all the knowledge you need.

the advantage of self studying is you can choose your pace and focus on your own weaknesses. courses give you structure.

i would go through the bibles and then just power through practice tests but thats me

I second the Powerscore recommendation. I did also flip through the official Superprep book.

I would say you should definitely self-study before your course, I don't see any reason to waste time you could be using to study. If you are using the right materials, there is little risk of picking up "bad habits" along the way.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Sun May 17, 2015 1:00 pm

still wrote:what was your score breakdown like? are you running out of time on any of the sections?

Thanks for the reply. Too be completely honest I haven't looked at an LSAT questions since I took the test last June. And when I did study for the exam I never timed myself on individual sections. I just took two practice exams a few months before the test (1st I scored a 138, and the 2nd I scored a 148). So when I got a 150 on test day I was happy. The books I used to study were from some course my friend had taken the year before, he gave me five? books and he had written notes all over them. I met up with him a few times but he was no help and confused me more. My main thing was I had no structure (I feel like I am a very organized person if I have a plan to follow). That's why I stated I wouldn't be opposed to taking a course but if their is some good guidelines to follow when self-studying then I'm all for it! Is there anywhere on this site that can lay out a good self-study plan to follow? My LSAT last year was scheduled right between graduating in May and the birth of my son in July. I couldn't re-take for the exams after because my son was so young and needed a lot of attention. Now he is finally sleeping through the night and I am able to have more free-time as he is needing less and less direct attention.

Basically the things I need to know:

1. Any good self-study plan to follow (Do I take practice exams every week?, how many hours, do I focus on certain sections, etc)

2. What books to buy, are those LSAT Bibles several books or is it just one book that has all the information on all the sections

still

Postby still » Sun May 17, 2015 4:23 pm

I highly recommend going over your test or your diagnostics and seeing how you score in each section so you can focus on your weaknesses

the lsat bibles are a series. theres an lsat bible for each of the 3 sections and corresponding workbooks for practice as well. 1 bible for LG, 1 for LR, and 1 for CR. The LG and LR bibles are terrific. The CR bible while not bad by any means is of more questionable value since the CR is pretty much the same as the CR on the SAT and the MCAT so the knowledge there is kinda more universal.
I personally recommend going through the LR and LG bibles in their entirety before doing any practice tests. If your motivated and have a lot of time to dedicate to them you can do the both in less than a week. I have the workbooks for LR and LG and they were pretty useful in pounding in the concepts but they are by no means necessary.

after you have the concepts down, I would then just do practice test after practice test, look at the answers I got wrong, and then try to apply the concepts from the bibles to learn why I was wrong and learn from them.

Aside from concepts and reasoning skills, alot of LSAT score boosting comes from 1) reading EXTREMELY carefully and 2) being able to recognize and avoid trick questions/traps. The latter comes heavily from practice tests.

Of course everyone's different so do what is most comfortable for you.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 pm

still wrote:I highly recommend going over your test or your diagnostics and seeing how you score in each section so you can focus on your weaknesses

the lsat bibles are a series. theres an lsat bible for each of the 3 sections and corresponding workbooks for practice as well. 1 bible for LG, 1 for LR, and 1 for CR. The LG and LR bibles are terrific. The CR bible while not bad by any means is of more questionable value since the CR is pretty much the same as the CR on the SAT and the MCAT so the knowledge there is kinda more universal.
I personally recommend going through the LR and LG bibles in their entirety before doing any practice tests. If your motivated and have a lot of time to dedicate to them you can do the both in less than a week. I have the workbooks for LR and LG and they were pretty useful in pounding in the concepts but they are by no means necessary.

after you have the concepts down, I would then just do practice test after practice test, look at the answers I got wrong, and then try to apply the concepts from the bibles to learn why I was wrong and learn from them.

Aside from concepts and reasoning skills, alot of LSAT score boosting comes from 1) reading EXTREMELY carefully and 2) being able to recognize and avoid trick questions/traps. The latter comes heavily from practice tests.

Of course everyone's different so do what is most comfortable for you.

I've never personally seen the Bibles, do they basically go over the techniques and explain the process step-by-step. And hopefully you can answer my next question. I read on here that the best way to study is using actual LSAT prep-tests and I saw on Powerscore?? where they sell the actual old tests (10 Actual LSAT tests). I just wanted to know in those booklets do they also explain the answers or is it basically taking the prep-tests and scoring yourself to know what to work on?

still

Postby still » Tue May 19, 2015 9:47 pm

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:34 pm

So today marked my first day of self-study, I have all three bibles and I am starting with the LG as you all suggested.

I'll start off with saying I'm glad I'm starting from the basics. I literally had no idea what the difference between balanced and unbalanced games were (not that it will help me but I'm glad I'm understanding what's getting thrown at me). I also had a vague idea about counterpositives and I certainly was not very good at them. I'm excited for learning all this stuff, hopefully I don't get burnt out.

Looking forward should I get any other books for LR or LGs, also should I add in LG exercises while I'm working on the bibles. I see a lot of people talking about the LG Packets. It seems like a good idea to throw in a few every night with studying. I'm not sure if I should do the bibles first and then just drill, drill, drill.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:57 pm

So I looked backed at my LSAT answer sheet from Last year and it looks like I ran out of time on two sections. Do you know If they have released the JUNE 2014 LSAT exam so I can review that?

Sidenote: My friend had told me to pick a letter and stick with it if I ran out of time (I picked D) and in those two sections D was only correct once (Out of 10 questions).

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:30 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:37 pm

So yesterday was my second day studying! I'm getting the logic games down pretty good so far (I am only on the linear ones).

I have a question about Old PTs vs. New Pts; I'm seeing on here a lot of people say use the newer PTs for the timed full tests. If I'm understanding correctly most people incorporate individual sections from old PTs in their studying and take the new PTs in full? For example, say they'll get an LG from Nov 91' and just work on that while they are studying with their LG Bibles. Am I understanding that correctly?

I say this because I am already 150 pages through the Logic Games Bible and wondered if I should start adding old sections to my nightly workload or just keep plugging through the bibles first.

Also someone gave me a link to a 6 month self-study from Powerscore and in the first week it had them doing both the LR Bible and the LG Bibles, so now I'm wondering if I am falling behind LR! Or should I do one bible at a time?

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:41 am

beantheshadow wrote:So yesterday was my second day studying! I'm getting the logic games down pretty good so far (I am only on the linear ones).

I have a question about Old PTs vs. New Pts; I'm seeing on here a lot of people say use the newer PTs for the timed full tests. If I'm understanding correctly most people incorporate individual sections from old PTs in their studying and take the new PTs in full? For example, say they'll get an LG from Nov 91' and just work on that while they are studying with their LG Bibles. Am I understanding that correctly?

I say this because I am already 150 pages through the Logic Games Bible and wondered if I should start adding old sections to my nightly workload or just keep plugging through the bibles first.

Also someone gave me a link to a 6 month self-study from Powerscore and in the first week it had them doing both the LR Bible and the LG Bibles, so now I'm wondering if I am falling behind LR! Or should I do one bible at a time?

Hey man, get the Cambridge bundle LG and LR 1-39 and do those as you go through the bibles. Study guides are guides on how to do something, but as you know, in life, you can do something in many different ways. If you want to focus on LG first, go for it. If you want to focus on all three LG/LR/RC at once, that's fine too.

Also think about purchasing the LSAT Trainer. I've only gotten through the first couple chapters and I already highly recommend it! The author is also on these forums. You have 6 months, just start getting the basics down. Don't stress too much right now.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Finished the first batch of LSAT games in the bible (pgs 149-180). I did them last night with no time restraints and checked them this afternoon. I am pleasantly surprised with my results but I am horrible with the timing (I still timed how long I took on each game)

Here's my breakdown:

Game #1 June 1996 LSAT
Results 6/7 Time: 16:00 :(

Game #2 September 1998 LSAT
Results 4/5 Time 10:10 (would have had a perfect game but I missed the first question which was so easy)!

Game #3 June 2003 LSAT

Results 4/5 Time 10:07 (My speed is getting better) Haha!

Game #4 October 2004 LSAT

Results 6/6 Time 10:51 (OMG PERFECT!) Time is crap still!

Game #5 October 1992 LSAT

Results 5/7 Time 16:56 (Vertical threw me off my game time-wise, but if I would have gotten number three right then 5 would have been a gimmie)

Game #6 June 1996 LSAT

Results 6/7 Time 16:12

So basically I do have a timing issue, but I am quite happy seeing as I haven't looked at an official LSAT question since last June!

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Just wanted bump this and sincerely thank everyone who gave me advice, just received my DEC score and got a 168. :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”