LSAT Trainer with LG Bible?

DepressedWorkerBee

LSAT Trainer with LG Bible?

Postby DepressedWorkerBee » Fri May 15, 2015 5:15 pm

2nd time around retaker trying to find best way to prep. Got a mid 150's on my first go around (was testing in the 160's) and after a year in the real world am deciding to try my hand at the LSAT again.

Anyway, I'm self-studying now for the Oct 2015 test and am currently working my way through the LG bible with the Cambridge packets but I'm having issues knowing what to do everyday. Should I choose to actually take a course I will start it in July for the October test. I'm hearing that the LSAT trainer is a great self-study option and organizes everything appropriately. Any advice on that? Not sure how trainer and the bible interact.

Appreciate any active anyone has!

KMart

Re: LSAT Trainer with LG Bible?

Postby KMart » Fri May 15, 2015 6:45 pm

DepressedWorkerBee wrote:2nd time around retaker trying to find best way to prep. Got a mid 150's on my first go around (was testing in the 160's) and after a year in the real world am deciding to try my hand at the LSAT again.

Anyway, I'm self-studying now for the Oct 2015 test and am currently working my way through the LG bible with the Cambridge packets but I'm having issues knowing what to do everyday. Should I choose to actually take a course I will start it in July for the October test. I'm hearing that the LSAT trainer is a great self-study option and organizes everything appropriately. Any advice on that? Not sure how trainer and the bible interact.

I would not take a course. There's a lot of guides in this forum, even for retakers, on how to regiment a schedule. The Cambridge packets and Bible are what I used for my retake. I didn't really have a schedule. Kind of read the Bibles and then went through the packets. Every third day or so I took a PT and reviewed.

Best of luck.

Jennie2190

Postby Jennie2190 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm doing the same thing. I took the February LSAT and got a 160. I used the LG Bible to study. I'm retaking in October to hopefully improve my score using the trainer and the LG bible as a review. I found the Bible to be really helpful for learning how to diagram and to both extrapolate and understand rules. I'm only a couple of hundred pages into the Trainer and his book seems to tackle the games in a different (maybe more comprehensive?) style. I like it, but I can see the differences. Guess I'll see in October if it is useful for me.

The biggest change I'm doing in my study regiment this time, however, is the amount of pre-tests I'm taking. Last time, I took a lot of sample sections but I wasn't very strict with time and I only did probably two or three full, timed tests. From what I hear, just taking pre-tests over and over is the best thing you can do to improve your score. (If not totally murder your soul...)

Good luck! :)

Blueprint Sam

Postby Blueprint Sam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:18 pm

DepressedWorkerBee wrote:2nd time around retaker trying to find best way to prep. Got a mid 150's on my first go around (was testing in the 160's) and after a year in the real world am deciding to try my hand at the LSAT again.

Without being entirely familiar with either of these books, I would say that it is a poor idea to commingle them. Different programs approach the LSAT in different ways with their own terminology, strategy, and structure. My suggestion would be to master one at a time, and then go through the others if you are still struggling to see if you can cherrypick certain suggestions or ideas that may be more apropos of your learning style. I know how much it sucks to score below what you're receiving on practice tests, but there are ways to ensure that doesn't happen. On the other hand, there are also ways to retard your progress: and my general advice is that switching between two different programs of study concurrently is one of those ways.

(Just as a personal, unsolicited aside: I hope your handle does not mean that the real world has been so harsh to you that the LSAT seems like an uplifting respite haha. If you are passionate about the law, then definitely recommit to taking the LSAT. But my experience in law school was that people who go simply as a way out of whatever they were doing before tend to be less satisfied with (or even dread) their ultimate decision to invest three years of energy and money. Is there a particular reason you are drawn to the law or law school beyond escaping "the real world"?)

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 am

Blueprint Sam wrote:

Without being entirely familiar with either of these books, I would say that it is a poor idea to commingle them. Different programs approach the LSAT in different ways with their own terminology, strategy, and structure. My suggestion would be to master one at a time, and then go through the others if you are still struggling to see if you can cherrypick certain suggestions or ideas that may be more apropos of your learning style. I know how much it sucks to score below what you're receiving on practice tests, but there are ways to ensure that doesn't happen. On the other hand, there are also ways to retard your progress: and my general advice is that switching between two different programs of study concurrently is one of those ways.

(Just as a personal, unsolicited aside: I hope your handle does not mean that the real world has been so harsh to you that the LSAT seems like an uplifting respite haha. If you are passionate about the law, then definitely recommit to taking the LSAT. But my experience in law school was that people who go simply as a way out of whatever they were doing before tend to be less satisfied with (or even dread) their ultimate decision to invest three years of energy and money. Is there a particular reason you are drawn to the law or law school beyond escaping "the real world"?)

Just wanted to state that I personally disagree with this. I understand that my experience is inherently limited and biased, but I have seen no evidence of students having such trouble combining the two products - Mike Kim

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”