how should I read a passage like pt 44, p3? "the survival of nerve cells.."

flash21

how should I read a passage like pt 44, p3? "the survival of nerve cells.."

Postby flash21 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:59 pm

I got -6 on this RC section and found that most of my mistakes were from this passage (3 of them).

This type of sciency passage is really hard and I used the same typical RC techniques I would use for other passages on this one, however, I felt like I had no control over this passage. Any particular advice for something like this?

farman

Re: how should I read a passage like pt 44, p3? "the survival of nerve cells.."

Postby farman » Fri May 15, 2015 3:24 am

I would try to read the entire passage in 3 minutes or less. Look for and quickly outline the structure, the author's view and any other views, and where you can find relevant information. Always pay careful attention to the first and last sentences in a new paragraph and note where the argument is leading. The hard "science" part I try to gain just a basic understanding of, and if a question asks more detail I go back and know where to find the info.

I guess never try to get too "bogged down" in the fine details as it tends to waste time and if time is needed for them you'll have it on the "back end" after the initial reading and outline are done. If you think about it, often half the questions you're asked are "global" and your outline should help you answer them so you only have to focus on 3-4 more detailed questions, even on a tougher passage like this.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri May 15, 2015 3:56 am

flash21 wrote:I got -6 on this RC section and found that most of my mistakes were from this passage (3 of them).

This type of sciency passage is really hard and I used the same typical RC techniques I would use for other passages on this one, however, I felt like I had no control over this passage. Any particular advice for something like this?

In addition to the typical things you should focus on when reading and breaking down any RC passage type (structure, points of view, main ideas, etc.), with science passages you should also proactively look for, identify and prioritize cause and effect relationships. Almost all science topics RC passages involve and revolve around discussions of cause and effect relationships and the questions heavily focus on the cause and effect relationships, so make sure to prioritize focusing on identifying and understanding any cause and effect relationships discussed in them.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:01 pm

thanks guys, master jeffort strikes again - interesting, will write this down to focus on

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”