Reasonable Target Score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SD1992

New

Reasonable Target Score

Post by SD1992 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:58 pm

I just took my diagnostic (cold) and scored a 158.

The breakdown of my score:

9 (out of 24) on the Analytical Reasoning section. 4 wrong answers. 11 questions left unanswered.

19 (out of 26) on the first Logical Reasoning section. 5 wrong answers. 2 questions left unanswered.

18 (out of 27) on the Reading Comprehension section. 2 wrong answers. 7 questions left unanswered.

22 (out of 24) on the second Logical Reasoning section. 2 wrong answers. 0 questions left unanswered.

Raw Score -- 68
Scaled Score -- 158

Some brief reflection:

I clearly need a lot of work on two things in particular -- (i) logic games [Analytical Reasoning] and (ii) speed. I'm a complete mess when it comes to AR, but from what I've read here that seems to be the section that people make the most substantial improvements on during prep. I certainly hope that holds true in my case. I need some serious work on my speed for the RC section, but I think I have a decent handle on the section other than that. I also feel like I have a firm grasp on LR, and I think the my actual capabilities are somewhere between what's reflected in the two sections here (-2 and -7); I'm not sure what's driving the significant difference between my performance on LR section one and LR section two.

Overall, it's clear that my priority concern should be learning the ins and outs of logic games. I missed 15 points on that section alone, and that's almost half of the total points I missed. On top of that, I only answered correctly on 69 percent of the AR questions I responded to. I need serious work on both speed and accuracy in this section. After I've addressed the multiple problems I'm having with logic games, I need to develop some speed in the RC section.

I plan on taking the October LSAT. Today is May 13th, so by the time I receive my preparation materials I should have about four months to study. I plan on purchasing the PowerScore Self-Study Trilogy (including the Bibles, Workbooks, etc.), and I already have the Kaplan LSAT Logic Games Strategies and Tactics (gifted from a friend) as well as The Official LSAT SuperPrep.

Based on the information I've provided above, what is a reasonable target score to set for myself? I'd personally like to get into the 169-170 range as I think that's what it'll take for me to open up some noteworthy scholarships. That said, I don't want to set unrealistic goals for myself.

Any and all feedback is warmly welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Reasonable Target Score

Post by malleus discentium » Wed May 13, 2015 11:17 pm

180 is a reasonable goal.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed May 13, 2015 11:39 pm

malleus discentium wrote:180 is a reasonable goal.
I agree. Performing that well on your first virgin run cold timed diagnostic without having prepped yet shows that you're already strong with the underlying critical reading and reasoning skills the LSAT is designed to test/measure.

Just learning and getting familiar with the common LG game types, diagramming methods, good strategies/techniques, etc. and practicing/drilling LGs to get good at applying what you'll learn from the LGB should enable you to master that section fairly rapidly since it's the easiest section to learn and master. Even if your LR and RC performance only improves a little bit or stays the same but you get yourself to scoring near perfect on LG sections, that'd get you to scoring around ~168/169.

With such a strong virgin run performance, there's no reason you should sell yourself short and aim for anything less than high 170s/180.

While you're learning the basics of LG game types, diagramming methods, good ways to diagram your master setup for each LG type, etc., read Clearly's detailed explanations in this thread about an extremely efficient time and labor saving way to handle LG questions.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=247741

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Wed May 13, 2015 11:50 pm

SD1992, this isn't wrong in the slightest. The LSAT is a very learnable test, and you're well positioned to make immediate gains as you improve on timing and figure out Games. Without knowing your goals or GPA (and even with them), there really isn't a "target score" you should be thinking of aiming for -- you should be aware of what scores give you a decent shot at the schools you want, but only use it as a rough guide of where you want to get (which is as high a score as you can).

Also, you should reconsider the "friend" status of the person who gave you the Kaplan material. Burn it, and you'll be better for it. The SuperPrep should be useful for the PT(s?), but you're better off avoiding the "official" hints and such in it. And generally, around here, only the PowerScore Logic Games Bible has a positive reputation. The Manhattan guides are fairly standard, as is the LSAT Trainer, supplemented by Cambridge question sets. As a reference, I did my first prep (before discovering TLS) with Kaplan/Princeton Review/PowerScore materials. I used the Trainer, Manhattan and 7Sage for the second, and can honestly say I'd probably be a few points higher if I had just started there.

Come join us in the October Study Thread.

SD1992

New

Post by SD1992 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:04 am

Jeffort wrote:
I agree. Performing that well on your first virgin run cold timed diagnostic without having prepped yet shows that you're already strong with the underlying critical reading and reasoning skills the LSAT is designed to test/measure.

Just learning and getting familiar with the common LG game types, diagramming methods, good strategies/techniques, etc. and practicing/drilling LGs to get good at applying what you'll learn from the LGB should enable you to master that section fairly rapidly since it's the easiest section to learn and master. Even if your LR and RC performance only improves a little bit or stays the same but you get yourself to scoring near perfect on LG sections, that'd get you to scoring around ~168/169.

With such a strong virgin run performance, there's no reason you should sell yourself short and aim for anything less than high 170s/180.

While you're learning the basics of LG game types, diagramming methods, good ways to diagram your master setup for each LG type, etc., read Clearly's detailed explanations in this thread about an extremely efficient time and labor saving way to handle LG questions.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=247741
Thanks for the advice. I have a background in Philosophy, and I think that's why I performed fairly well on the LR and RC sections in my first run. Unfortunately, I think that also means I'm already performing at or near my peak in those sections which means, aside from developing some speed, I might not have a lot of room to improve.

Is four months enough time to adequately prepare myself? I've heard everything from six weeks (from law school admissions officers) to a full year (from 7Sage). I'm pretty committed to prep, so I feel like the four month plan provided by PowerScore is the best option I have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SD1992

New

Post by SD1992 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:09 am

TheProdigal wrote:
SD1992, this isn't wrong in the slightest. The LSAT is a very learnable test, and you're well positioned to make immediate gains as you improve on timing and figure out Games. Without knowing your goals or GPA (and even with them), there really isn't a "target score" you should be thinking of aiming for -- you should be aware of what scores give you a decent shot at the schools you want, but only use it as a rough guide of where you want to get (which is as high a score as you can).

Also, you should reconsider the "friend" status of the person who gave you the Kaplan material. Burn it, and you'll be better for it. The SuperPrep should be useful for the PT(s?), but you're better off avoiding the "official" hints and such in it. And generally, around here, only the PowerScore Logic Games Bible has a positive reputation. The Manhattan guides are fairly standard, as is the LSAT Trainer, supplemented by Cambridge question sets. As a reference, I did my first prep (before discovering TLS) with Kaplan/Princeton Review/PowerScore materials. I used the Trainer, Manhattan and 7Sage for the second, and can honestly say I'd probably be a few points higher if I had just started there.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm disappointed to hear that about the Kaplan book...I planned on digging into it tomorrow night. I'm all set to purchase the PowerScore self-study pack. Would you recommend I do that and stick with the Logic Bible or should I instead switch over to 7Sage?

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Thu May 14, 2015 12:12 am

SD1992 wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm disappointed to hear that about the Kaplan book...I planned on digging into it tomorrow night. I'm all set to purchase the PowerScore self-study pack. Would you recommend I do that and stick with the Logic Bible or should I instead switch over to 7Sage?
At the end of the day, everyone is going to learn differently. The wonderful thing is that you have some time -- if PowerScore doesn't get you where you want to be (and it didn't for me) -- you can change tack and choose something else. I think the LG Bible works pretty well, and the free 7Sage LG explanations complement it very well. Most people end up picking and choosing techniques and notations for LG from a variety of sources. There is no one-size-fits-all approach.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Thu May 14, 2015 12:12 am

SD1992 wrote: aside from developing some speed, I might not have a lot of room to improve.
You still have room: developing speed can provide huge increases in your score. I mean, the LSAT wouldn't be hard at all if it weren't timed, even if all you manage to do is improve your speed you might still see some significant gains.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Thu May 14, 2015 1:20 am

RunnerRunner wrote:
SD1992 wrote: aside from developing some speed, I might not have a lot of room to improve.
You still have room: developing speed can provide huge increases in your score. I mean, the LSAT wouldn't be hard at all if it weren't timed, even if all you manage to do is improve your speed you might still see some significant gains.
To build on this a little:
SD1992 wrote:The breakdown of my score:
9 (out of 24) on the Analytical Reasoning section. 4 wrong answers. 11 questions left unanswered.
19 (out of 26) on the first Logical Reasoning section. 5 wrong answers. 2 questions left unanswered.
18 (out of 27) on the Reading Comprehension section. 2 wrong answers. 7 questions left unanswered.
22 (out of 24) on the second Logical Reasoning section. 2 wrong answers. 0 questions left unanswered.
Raw Score -- 68
Scaled Score -- 158
You're already close to finishing both LR sections. RC it looks like you're getting through 3 passages and doing great for accuracy (18/20). On LG you just need to work on systems. If you were to have even just blindly guessed on the 20 questions you didn't answer and got 1 in 5 right, you're already in the 160s. To put that another way, you didn't answer 20 questions and still beat more than half of all takers.

If you can achieve the same accuracy on the unanswered questions as you've demonstrated, you're easily looking at 170+.

Once you get timing and systems down, and you will, you're in a great position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”