Taking preptest everyday to June LSAT a good strategy? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
calmike

Bronze

Taking preptest everyday to June LSAT a good strategy?

Post by calmike » Tue May 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Hello,
I am scoring 168-170 in my last 4 preptests but I want to score higher. Do you think taking a preptest everyday for the next 4 weeks is a viable way to increase my scores. On my commutes to work I will read Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning book to brushen up that section.

leslieknope

Silver

Re: Taking preptest everyday to June LSAT a good strategy?

Post by leslieknope » Tue May 12, 2015 2:38 pm

No, but it's a great way to burn out and lose points. Go through your latest PTs and figure out what kind of questions you're missing (linear games? Necessary assumptions? Etc) and drill on those on your non-PT days. IMO PTing more than 2-3 times a week is a waste of time.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 pm

leslieknope wrote:No, but it's a great way to burn out and lose points. Go through your latest PTs and figure out what kind of questions you're missing (linear games? Necessary assumptions? Etc) and drill on those on your non-PT days. IMO PTing more than 2-3 times a week is a waste of time.

Thank you for the advice. In the next four weeks I will take 10 PT's so that equates to 2-3 tests a week. I only need to brushen up on LR specifically Necessary Assumption questions and Psuedo Sufficient Assumption questions and some strengthening. I will drill those sections. Thank you!

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue May 12, 2015 2:49 pm

calmike wrote:Hello,
I am scoring 168-170 in my last 4 preptests but I want to score higher. Do you think taking a preptest everyday for the next 4 weeks is a viable way to increase my scores. On my commutes to work I will read Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning book to brushen up that section.
Hey calmike,

I don't think taking a PT every day would be the best use of your time. First of all, you should always plan to spend more time (sometimes up to twice as long) reviewing every PT you take than you spend actually sitting for it. Just taking PT after PT without extensively reviewing them is unlikely to help you improve your score by very much. And even if you have 6-8 hours per day to take the test AND properly review it, it still wouldn't be a good idea to churn through tests like that. PTs should be used as diagnostic tools and benchmarks of progress more than actual study tools. The more effective strategy would be to break up your PTs with at least 2 or 3 days of high intensity question type drilling, aiming to shore up the weaknesses revealed in your PTs and review sessions.

eta: semi-scooped by the former councilwoman from Pawnee

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Tue May 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Can anyone explain to me how to drill properly?

Let's say today I will drill 100 strengthening questions.

Do I do 10 at a time, check my answers, and then review only my wrong answers? Do I blind review them over again? Thanks!

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue May 12, 2015 3:03 pm

calmike wrote:Can anyone explain to me how to drill properly?

Let's say today I will drill 100 strengthening questions.

Do I do 10 at a time, check my answers, and then review only my wrong answers? Do I blind review them over again? Thanks!
I don't think it matters very much when you check your answers. For me, it would depend on how confident I was with the question type. If I expected to get only a couple of questions wrong in a set of 50 level 1 flaws or whatever, then I would wait until the end to check my answers. But if I was doing level 4 weakens, I would probably check after every couple of pages.

The more important thing is that you don't break focus. Don't use your answer checking time as an excuse to also check Facebook or TLS. Remember that you should be building endurance and mental discipline with every single study session. So drill high volumes for extended periods of time, and don't allow your mind to wander.

As for blind review, here's the rule of thumb: If you're timing your drills, then BR before you check. If you're doing them untimed, then don't BR because it's redundant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”