Speed/Logic Games

Utterson

Speed/Logic Games

Postby Utterson » Tue May 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I plan to take the LSAT in either October or December, depending on how my practice tests are turning out in October. I am currently almost finished with Powerscore's Logic Games bible. I seem to be getting a firm grasp of diagramming and my inference skills are getting there. However, I'm having serious timing issues.

It's taking me up to 15 minutes to finish some of the grouping games/more complex games. I will get the questions right, but the timing is my current issue. Any tips on speeding up the process? Is it just practice?

Thanks

ChillTomG

Re: Speed/Logic Games

Postby ChillTomG » Tue May 12, 2015 6:45 pm

I honestly am not sure I am the best to give you advice because I had a -0 on games on my cold diagnostic (timed).

However, I will say that I think once you have the inferences down and clear, one thing that has helped me a lot is ruling out possibilities/finding forced possibilities that are not directly stated.

For example, if we have a six person ordering game, suppose it says : John is after Larry. Then I immediately know that John is not 1 and Larry is not 6.
Even better are ones like John is after Larry but before Peter. Then I know that we have L..J..P somewhere so L is not 5 or 6, J is not 1 or 6, and P is not 1 or 2.

I also think in terms of "stuffing". For example, given the L..J..P condition above, if for some reason a question asks you to put Larry later in the sequence, this is a strong restriction . A question could say "which is not possible: a) Larry is third". Well this is a strong restriction because we only have a few possibilities, IE Larry is third or fourth, and if fourth, the last three are determined, but oftentimes we are given another condition like John is not 4, in which case there are is only one possibility here, but maybe something else prevents us from stuffing L,J,P as 3,5,6.

And so on.

I hope that helped some. I would be happy to share more tips if you need.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:22 pm

Utterson wrote:Hi everyone,

I plan to take the LSAT in either October or December, depending on how my practice tests are turning out in October. I am currently almost finished with Powerscore's Logic Games bible. I seem to be getting a firm grasp of diagramming and my inference skills are getting there. However, I'm having serious timing issues.

It's taking me up to 15 minutes to finish some of the grouping games/more complex games. I will get the questions right, but the timing is my current issue. Any tips on speeding up the process? Is it just practice?

Thanks

Yes it does come down to practice, but also it comes down to what works best for you in terms of the strategy you take. Here's a link to something that may help you, it's actually very recent so if you have any questions feel free to ask if you want. Someone will answer viewtopic.php?f=6&t=247741

Hornet2011

Postby Hornet2011 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:19 pm

I agree with the previous posters advice. I might be able to help out a little bit as well since I went from -8 to -6 two months ago to consistently scoring -0 to -2 now.

First of all I would definite consider buying (I got them off of Amazon) the powerscore workbooks for Logic games as well as the Game Type Training books also from powerscore. Doing lots of games will build up your ability (slowly over time) to make the necessary inferences faster and faster. Also oddly enough you will start to just "recognize" and "gravitate" towards the right answers on the LSAT. It is hard to explain, but once you have seen them do one trick on a logic game you will likely see it again a few years later on another game.

Going through these books I also highly recommend taking advantage of the free L SAGE walkthroughs of every logic game. If I ever didn't understand a game 100% (and I mean 100%) I would try to figure it out again myself, make a copy of the game, repeat and do it over and over again. Then I would watch the LSAGE video. This really helped me improve my speed and accuracy.

Does this help?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”