The LSAT ripped out my soul

scalawag

The LSAT ripped out my soul

Postby scalawag » Sat May 09, 2015 1:42 pm

and tore it into little pieces, then duck-taped it back together and put it back in gently for me.

I'm registered for the June LSAT.

I just scored a 153 on a practice test - my score in two initial diagnostic tests. Perhaps most disconcerting is that I scored 14 and 19 correct in the two logical reasoning sections. I've focused heavily on the Logical Reasoning Bible and drill packets and before I did this I was consistently scoring 16-19 right per section. I've seen no improvement from where I have put most of my work.

Logic games I scored 9 right, and reading comprehension I scored 18 right. I had to guess heavily in the Logic Games section.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to prepare for the June and October LSATs.

I plan to drill logic games, mainly linear and grouping games, to increase speed, and begin to incorporate Voyager's Reading Comprehension Strategy http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240.

As much as I hate to I plan to finish using the Logical Reasoning book and question type trainer book to answer parallel reasoning and parallel flaw questions. But I'm fed up with this book and I feel like taking tests and reviewing answers will be more beneficial to me..

I have the LSAT trainer and Mahattan Logical Reasoning and I plan to hit those books after I take the June LSAT in preparation for the October LSAT. I don't plan to register until I am certain that I am scoring decently. If I should look them over now let me know.

Thanks a ton.

nlee10

Re: The LSAT ripped out my soul

Postby nlee10 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:44 pm

scalawag wrote:I feel like taking tests and reviewing answers will be more beneficial to me..

Do not do that at this moment. You'll only be wasting fresh material. Continue to explore various books and drill using the Cambridge drilling packets.

Don't make the same mistake I did (of wasting so many PT's).

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Sat May 09, 2015 2:01 pm

lol at the title

just a silly mulitple choice test dude

sounds like you should withrdaw from the june test and save the take for when you are ready to get a decent score

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat May 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:lol at the title

just a silly mulitple choice test dude

sounds like you should withrdaw from the june test and save the take for when you are ready to get a decent score gain a little perspective on life

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat May 09, 2015 2:34 pm

If this is what the LSAT does to you, law school and legal practice are probably not for you. If mindless hoop jumping whose relevance ceases the second you line up the next hoop (repeat until you die) appeals, then come join us.

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Sat May 09, 2015 3:10 pm

zacharus85 wrote:If this is what the LSAT does to you, law school and legal practice are probably not for you. If mindless hoop jumping whose relevance ceases the second you line up the next hoop (repeat until you die) appeals, then come join us.

It was just for the lulz like the show Archer.

It seems like I will withdraw, save the take and retake in October.

Thanks for the advice on the Cambridge packets.

GospelLeague

Postby GospelLeague » Sat May 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Relax, and if possible, withdraw the June LSAT.

It seems to me that you've not done any intensive drilling yet. Though initial diagnostic might tell you what you naturally good at, you have to carefully study Bibles, MANHATTAN and drill the Cambridge by Type and tons of drilling before you can get a decent score on PT.

Given that you might have tons of work to do, packing up so much drilling in 1 month might burn you out, I'd avoid that.

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Sat May 09, 2015 6:39 pm

GospelLeague wrote:Relax, and if possible, withdraw the June LSAT.

It seems to me that you've not done any intensive drilling yet. Though initial diagnostic might tell you what you naturally good at, you have to carefully study Bibles, MANHATTAN and drill the Cambridge by Type and tons of drilling before you can get a decent score on PT.

Given that you might have tons of work to do, packing up so much drilling in 1 month might burn you out, I'd avoid that.

I don't plan to respond to future posts but I wanted to thank you for your post. I ran 7 miles (on a sprained ankle) to come to a decision on a sound mind and your post was very helpful and welcome at the conclusion of my run.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 pm

scalawag wrote:
GospelLeague wrote:Relax, and if possible, withdraw the June LSAT.

I don't plan to respond to future posts but I wanted to thank you for your post. I ran 7 miles (on a sprained ankle) to come to a decision on a sound mind and your post was very helpful and welcome at the conclusion of my run.

Really go through the Manhattan guides thoroughly. Keep a positive attitude. Many high scorers started off scoring very low.

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 pm

I appreciate the previous advice and my post is not out of disrespect for that advice but out of further guidance given contextual changes and financial circumstances beyond my control incentivize my taking the June LSAT. I will be able to continue drilling at work (1-2 hours a day) and possibly devote a lot of time a month before October or December. However incentives do exist and let's leave it at that.

When I studied for the LSAT I often consumed strong coffee. Last practice test I consumed no coffee, and was mostly concerned with timing rather than techniques and made many dumb mistakes. Confidence is a virtue but I exhibited blind overbearing confidence that my previous work would allow me to score highly, when I was not incorporating the relevant techniques into my practice test.

Today I took a practice test and consumed two cups of strong coffee before my test. I plan to do this on test day.
RC - 20 correct (have not incorporated Voyager's technique yet - I will do this soon)
LR - 20 correct (this is an accurate representation of where I am - I incorporated techniques as best I remembered)
LG - 13 correct (this could easily have been 19 had I been selective in my order)
LR - 14 correct (I took this section without the 15 minute break and I had trouble reading)

I have done a pretty good amount of drills with many question types of Logical Reasoning. However I didn't retain all of it as best as I would have liked so some question types were fuzzy.

I have done virtually no drills with logic games, yesterday was my first day.

It seems I only have to do a few things
-Drill Reading Comprehension (1 hour per day tops)
-Drill Logic Games focusing heavily on Linear and Grouping games (2-3 hours per day at least).
-Drill LR question types I have reviewed that I either got wrong or took me too long to answer (2-3 hours per day).

What I plan to do is go through all the wrong answers I got in LR (in both sections) and evaluate which question types need to be more automatic in my strategy.

I guess my question is - and yes in a perfect world I would take the October LSAT but the next one may be December - my next attempt will be after I have done everything like you said - doing all of this when do I need to start taking a lot of practice tests to get my stamina up (i.e. section 4 fatigue)?

I'm going to review this - drill and I will check back here for suggestions - it seems the longer I can put off the intensely long practice tests, the better.

Thanks - I'm feeling a ton better about this.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”