Severe Problems on LSAT

LegendaryOne

Severe Problems on LSAT

Postby LegendaryOne » Thu May 07, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm having problems completing sections within the time limit. This is severely hampering my timed LSAT scores. I can usually reach the upper 160s, lower 170s on blind review, but I just can't seem to get adjusted to the timing. I've been studying for 6 months. I'm just trying to figure out how to fix this one last problem.

Thanks.

swampman

Re: Severe Problems on LSAT

Postby swampman » Thu May 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Are you doing all your practice tests timed?

omd3117

Postby omd3117 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:34 pm

How are you timing yourself on the sections? Drilling timed sections or doing full blown tests when you are having issues?

LegendaryOne

Postby LegendaryOne » Thu May 07, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm using PT 1 - 35 for my drills, and 36 - 70 for full PTs. I usually print out every logic game from 1 - 35 and just do them timed. It's helped me with my timing in that section. For LR and RC, I mostly practice timing during full PTs. My issues mostly stem from LR and RC regardless of whether I'm taking individual sections or full PTs.

rmcmanus

Postby rmcmanus » Thu May 07, 2015 8:01 pm

LegendaryOne wrote:I'm using PT 1 - 35 for my drills, and 36 - 70 for full PTs. I usually print out every logic game from 1 - 35 and just do them timed. It's helped me with my timing in that section. For LR and RC, I mostly practice timing during full PTs. My issues mostly stem from LR and RC regardless of whether I'm taking individual sections or full PTs.

What i did to improve my speed in LR was to break up the section.
1. I would give myself 16.5 min to do the first 15 questions (including bubbling in on the answer sheet).
2. Then blind review.
3. Then do the last 10-11 questions 16.5 min.
4. Blind review

I would leave the 2 minutes out on purpose so that on PTs or the actual test i would have extra time to go back and review. Might not work for you, but it helped me.
Best of luck!

omd3117

Postby omd3117 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Yeah, I mean everyone is a bit different. I did drills actually in just full 35 minute sections for a week straight so I could stabilize how many questions I got wrong for that given section. If you were anything like me though, I realized once I figured out where my weaknesses were, I could overcome them. For a while, I used to miss the really easy questions because I sped past them or if I misread a question and couldn't figure it out, I would freak out.When I was able to let go of that, I did better.

I would definitely suggest time segments. Part of it might be mental. P

LegendaryOne

Postby LegendaryOne » Thu May 07, 2015 8:25 pm

omd3117 wrote:Yeah, I mean everyone is a bit different. I did drills actually in just full 35 minute sections for a week straight so I could stabilize how many questions I got wrong for that given section. If you were anything like me though, I realized once I figured out where my weaknesses were, I could overcome them. For a while, I used to miss the really easy questions because I sped past them or if I misread a question and couldn't figure it out, I would freak out.When I was able to let go of that, I did better.

It's annoying because once I go back some of my incorrect answer choices, I can instantly see why one is better than the others. It's like a wall that I can't get over...

awe208

Postby awe208 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:41 pm

i did well on LSAT and happy to give you advice...sorry pm me
Last edited by awe208 on Thu May 07, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Focus on why you're not efficient enough. It's weird to say, but if you're not good at the LSAT with timing, you're not good at the LSAT period, no matter how good you are untimed. There is something or some thought process that isn't efficient here, work on pattern recognition, make sure you're doing the first ten questions in 10 minutes, and don't reread things unless you absolutely have to.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 07, 2015 8:43 pm

awe208 wrote:i did well on LSAT and happy to give you advice... *EMAIL*

This is dumb and you should take it down. If you have advice, post it, or PM him.

enotini

Postby enotini » Thu May 07, 2015 8:51 pm

LegendaryOne wrote:
omd3117 wrote:Yeah, I mean everyone is a bit different. I did drills actually in just full 35 minute sections for a week straight so I could stabilize how many questions I got wrong for that given section. If you were anything like me though, I realized once I figured out where my weaknesses were, I could overcome them. For a while, I used to miss the really easy questions because I sped past them or if I misread a question and couldn't figure it out, I would freak out.When I was able to let go of that, I did better.

It's annoying because once I go back some of my incorrect answer choices, I can instantly see why one is better than the others. It's like a wall that I can't get over...

I practiced LR and RC timing with a lotttt of repetition. I bought an analog watch and timed myself with it for every single section. It won't matter if you can eventually come to the right answer, because you need to be able to come to the right answer FAST. Timing is extremely crucial on the LSAT. Someone above me mentioned that a lot of it is mental, and that's definitely right. At least that's been the case in my experience. Once you start freaking out about time, you'll start screwing up. You need to practice keeping calm under pressure while being able to think and act quickly.

For RC, you need to consider where you're taking so long and what's costing you time. If you spend too long reading the passages, maybe you're thinking too hard about what you're reading and need to work on that. If you're taking too long on the questions, you need to identify why you're doing so and work on that.

For LR, I would let one stupid question stump me and would end up taking way too long on it. This, of course, would screw up my timing for the rest of the questions. My rule of thumb was, if I spent longer than 30 seconds trying to understand the stimulus and STILL didn't get it, move on and come back to it. This ended up working very well for me on Logical Reasoning during my actual test, and I ended up getting perfect scores on a few sections with this strategy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”