GRE Advice

Broncos15

GRE Advice

Postby Broncos15 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Hello,

Primarily thinking of law school here, but does anyone know much about the GRE's role in Admissions?

I took the exam cold just to have a score on the books in case i ever decided to use it since scores are valid for 5 years....ended up scoring 162 in Verbal and a mediocre Q. ( Took it cold because I knew going in unlike LSAT, you can pick and choose which scores you send).

My two questions are

1. Are there diminishing returns for retaking a 162...are there any real differences between my score and a 165-167 range to make a retake worth it? I've noticed grad school isn't as much of a numbers game as LS and the percentiles aren't nearly as competitive ( 90-95% GRE scores are competitive even at top schools while you generally need a top 5% ( 168) to be competitive for a T14 school.)

2. Are grad school scholarships as number driven ( GRE) as LS where applicants will retake LSAT to get more $$ at the schools they apply to

Broncos15

Re: GRE Advice

Postby Broncos15 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Main reason I ask is because if i got a 162 V cold.....With a month or two of prep, A 165-167 is within reach.

A retake seems somewhat tempting for top schools considering I am pretty close ( Not sure I would apply, but spending a month or two to have a valid score for 5 years does not seem like a bad idea......completely different from the LSAT IMO where you should be pretty confident you want to pursue law before spending several months and hours drilling and PTing)

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun May 03, 2015 9:05 pm

What kind of graduate school are you looking at? I think your score is fine for a typical humanities PhD program, but retake if you feel you left points on the table.

Financial aid varies a lot by graduate program. Every respectable PhD program will cover your tuition and provide a 25k living stipend, regardless of GRE score. Other degrees (MA, MPH) probably won't. Scholly negotiations based on a single standardized test are more of a law school thing.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 pm

banjo wrote:What kind of graduate school are you looking at? I think your score is fine for a typical humanities PhD program, but retake if you feel you left points on the table.

Financial aid varies a lot by graduate program. Every respectable PhD program will cover your tuition and provide a 25k living stipend, regardless of GRE score. Other degrees (MA, MPH) probably won't. Scholly negotiations based on a single standardized test are more of a law school thing.

Not sure what type of grad school ( if i go that route at all)......the decision for the first take was more of a "why not take because it can't hurt to have a score on the books" than taking it to get into a certain program

Obviously for any math based field the answer to retake is a yes,....but I don't see it as necessary for a humanities program

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Sun May 03, 2015 9:19 pm

banjo wrote:What kind of graduate school are you looking at? I think your score is fine for a typical humanities PhD program, but retake if you feel you left points on the table.

Well, I think humanities PhD programs often don't offer as many stipends, but it's a staple in the sciences/social sciences (I entered about 8 years ago and standard was 15-20k then, more at big city schools).

In my discipline, having a high quant score was imperative, and pretty much everyone at top schools had a 780-800 (on the old scale, but ~8% of people got 800 so it wasn't a tough cutoff), but verbal score was pretty much irrelevant except for non-native speakers. Some schools offer slightly better "fellowships" to top students, which probably incorporates GRE to some extent. I would imagine for humanities, it's a lot more important to have a high verbal score, but this varies a lot by discipline so it's hard to answer such a generic question.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:39 pm

kartelite wrote:I would imagine for humanities, it's a lot more important to have a high verbal score, but this varies a lot by discipline so it's hard to answer such a generic question.

Thanks.

I was wondering about for a humanities program.....is a 162V ( 90%) ok even with a mediocre Q.

( the reason i say a humanities program is... because I already know the math would be weak enough to retake for a business, STEM, or other field)

I am just less clear if a retake is needed for a humanities program

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun May 03, 2015 9:46 pm

kartelite wrote:

Well, I think humanities PhD programs often don't offer as many stipends, but it's a staple in the sciences/social sciences (I entered about 8 years ago and standard was 15-20k then, more at big city schools).

A few humanities programs offer unfunded acceptances, but the consensus is that those are really soft rejections.

OP, I spent a few years in a humanities PhD program. Your verbal score is fine, though I've heard 165+ to be safe for the most competitive programs. Your math score mostly doesn't matter.

All of this is irrelevant though because nobody should ever go to graduate school in the humanities.

imDEREK

Postby imDEREK » Sat May 09, 2015 2:22 pm

I would download the magoosh app for vocab on your phone.
I got a 167 after a month of casually memorizing the words.

I will apply to grad school this fall along with law school applications, and I agree, even as an intended science major, the quantitative score is not heavily weighed. I scored 160 which makes me competitive for the schools that I want. My understanding is that close to perfect quant scores are required for top 10 entrance in comp sci or engineering programs.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 09, 2015 2:27 pm

banjo wrote:
kartelite wrote:

A few humanities programs offer unfunded acceptances, but the consensus is that those are really soft rejections.

OP, I spent a few years in a humanities PhD program. Your verbal score is fine, though I've heard 165+ to be safe for the most competitive programs. Your math score mostly doesn't matter.

All of this is irrelevant though because nobody should ever go to graduate school in the humanities.

Yeah, no one should go to grad school in the humanities, but if you do, you REALLY shouldn't go without funding - all respectable PhD programs will include a stipend (though I don't know how much you get these days - it was about $13k back in the dark ages).

At least in the humanities, the application process is much more genuinely holistic than in law schools - the GRE scoring has changed since I took it, so I don't know anything about what score you need, but your statement of purpose and letters of rec and GPA and previous coursework are going to be much more important. Basically, the stuff that's at the margins of LS apps is pretty central to apps for PhD programs. I don't know of anyone ever retaking the GRE to get money the way they do for law school - if you get in, they're (generally) going to give you money. So people might retake to get the minimum score needed, but I don't think getting higher than that is really helpful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”