Is a 170+ feasible with one month's studying?

kpormir

Is a 170+ feasible with one month's studying?

Postby kpormir » Sun May 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Hey guys!

So I've decided to possibly retake the LSAT in June, despite already having put my seat deposit in for the fall. My reasoning is that 1) it can't hurt and 2) it can really only help. That being said, please tell me if I'm wrong here. As far as I know, law schools don't rescind offers because of a lower LSAT score.

For some background, my first and only take was over a year and a half ago (168). I tried to retake last October but chickened out (anxiety issues). Figured now that I have some acceptances it'll be a lot less nerve-wrecking. My weaknesses were logical reasoning (-2/3 per section) and reading comprehension (-5/6). I'm certain I can get back to getting -0/1 in the logic games pretty quickly.

My goal is to hit a 170+. When I was studying diligently, I was scoring anywhere from 168 to 174 (with some 175+ outliers, never below 168 though). Do you guys think it's possible to crack open the books again and hit my goal with a month of studying? What should I focus on, practice tests or drilling? I can put in about 3-4 hours a day on the weekdays, 8+ on the weekends starting tomorrow.

Just want to gauge opinions and hopefully get some moral support.

Broncos15

Re: Is a 170+ feasible with one month's studying?

Postby Broncos15 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Have you taken a diagnostic test since this last break?

That's my best bet....I would stay 170 on the real thing would be hard to get due to the long layoff and only a month's study

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Sun May 03, 2015 8:00 pm

kpormir wrote:Hey guys!

So I've decided to possibly retake the LSAT in June, despite already having put my seat deposit in for the fall. My reasoning is that 1) it can't hurt and 2) it can really only help. That being said, please tell me if I'm wrong here. As far as I know, law schools don't rescind offers because of a lower LSAT score.

For some background, my first and only take was over a year and a half ago (168). I tried to retake last October but chickened out (anxiety issues). Figured now that I have some acceptances it'll be a lot less nerve-wrecking. My weaknesses were logical reasoning (-2/3 per section) and reading comprehension (-5/6). I'm certain I can get back to getting -0/1 in the logic games pretty quickly.

My goal is to hit a 170+. When I was studying diligently, I was scoring anywhere from 168 to 174 (with some 175+ outliers, never below 168 though). Do you guys think it's possible to crack open the books again and hit my goal with a month of studying? What should I focus on, practice tests or drilling? I can put in about 3-4 hours a day on the weekdays, 8+ on the weekends starting tomorrow.

Just want to gauge opinions and hopefully get some moral support.

Up that to 5-6 a day weekdays, and 10+ weekends and yeah

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Sun May 03, 2015 8:04 pm

kpormir wrote:Just want to gauge opinions and hopefully get some moral support.

I pulled a 167 on four weeks of study (2-3 hours/day, 5+/weekends) in September. I got five weeks (about the same hours/day) in to prep for February, and raised it by 3.

Its certainly doable, but you've taken a lot of time off. Get a fresh diagnostic and judge from there.

kpormir

Postby kpormir » Sun May 03, 2015 8:13 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Have you taken a diagnostic test since this last break?

That's my best bet....I would stay 170 on the real thing would be hard to get due to the long layoff and only a month's study

I haven't yet. I imagine I'd probably score around 165 if I took it cold right now. I say that because I took a similar length break between my first test and the October one, and scored 165 cold then. Took me about a week to get back up to 168+.

PoopNpants wrote:Up that to 5-6 a day weekdays, and 10+ weekends and yeah

Hm, okay. I can do that. Worried that I would burn out, though, as I'm taking classes as well.

TheProdigal wrote:
kpormir wrote:Just want to gauge opinions and hopefully get some moral support.

I pulled a 167 on four weeks of study (2-3 hours/day, 5+/weekends) in September. I got five weeks (about the same hours/day) in to prep for February, and raised it by 3.

Its certainly doable, but you've taken a lot of time off. Get a fresh diagnostic and judge from there.

Roger, I'll take a diagnostic tomorrow and see where I'm at. Thank you.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sun May 03, 2015 8:21 pm

It's doable. I think getting back into the LSAT after a long gap is kinda like being a boxer who took some time off: you'll have to put in serious work to get back to fighting weight, but it's not like you are starting from square 1. I think 120 hours over the course of a month is enough to get your edge back (picturing 4 hours/weekday and 10 on the weekends).

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Mon May 04, 2015 12:08 am

kpormir wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:Its certainly doable, but you've taken a lot of time off. Get a fresh diagnostic and judge from there.

Roger, I'll take a diagnostic tomorrow and see where I'm at. Thank you.

Something to consider: knowing yourself, how are you going to feel if you notch a 160 tomorrow? You may be best served by prepping for a week or two before taking your first PT.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:46 am

At least in my case the longer I took off from prepping, the more my score fell.

I was focused on drilling sections and hitting -2 or less pretty consistently on each section in August ( was planning on Dec LSAT but decided to focus on school)....and then took a break with 0 LSAT work from Aug to Dec and took a cold PT and scored a 171.

But then in Feb I took two PT's cold and scored within the 166-168 range....so the Aug through Feb break certainly hurt

kpormir

Postby kpormir » Mon May 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Just a quick update - used the December 2011 test as a diagnostic, scored 170 even.

At a glance, my speed is probably what suffered the most, had to guess (incorrectly) on 7 of them. Reading Comprehension is what's killing me, as always. Overall I'm very happy with how I did, though. Guess I'll give June a shot after all, thank you everyone for your advice and support! Any tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”