No test centers available, on waitlist for June. Freaking. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
seagan823

Bronze

No test centers available, on waitlist for June. Freaking.

Post by seagan823 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure I was going to take the June LSAT, though I needed more time but scored above my target in last two tests, one of which I took yesterday. Just tried to register, on waitlist for a testing center. How worried do I need to be? Am I screwed? I tried to check places that were a solid drive away and my parents place, no dice. Thought it might be a problem with website, found Mobile, AL has plenty of slots.

Anyone dealt with this? Any advice?

RZ5646

Gold

Re: No test centers available, on waitlist for June. Freaking.

Post by RZ5646 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Can't you have them make a special test center for a fee if there's none available within a certain distance of you?

But it might be cheaper to drive to an open center and stay in a hotel.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:29 am

RZ5646 wrote:Can't you have them make a special test center for a fee if there's none available within a certain distance of you?
The deadline for that has passed.

And, there's no need to worry. If you're on the waitlist then they'll make place for you at that specific test centre or another one within 100km of that test centre.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 am

msp8 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:Can't you have them make a special test center for a fee if there's none available within a certain distance of you?
The deadline for that has passed.

And, there's no need to worry. If you're on the waitlist then they'll make place for you at that specific test centre or another one within 100km of that test centre.
100km? Centre? What is this nonsense, speak American.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Sat May 02, 2015 11:18 am

One of my friends is on a similar waitlist in CT, so if he remains on that list they will make a special test center for him?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seagan823

Bronze

Post by seagan823 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks. As long as I can test somewhere it doesn't matter if have to drive a couple hours. Appreciate the feedback.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat May 02, 2015 3:16 pm

My understanding is they will make a special test center only if no other test center exists within a region. Not just because you missed a deadline, or didn't register early enough.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat May 02, 2015 7:20 pm

OP, try not to stress about it. Since LSAC placed you on the wait list for a particular test center, you'll for sure get assigned a test center and be able to take the June LSAT. You'll either end up getting off the wait list and assigned to the test center you selected or another one within a drivable distance (whatever the specific miles radius distance LSAC specifies on their site about these situations) from the address you have listed as your home/mailing address in your LSAC account.

Historically, popular test centers in/near major metropolitan areas and/or at or near large Colleges/Universities fill up early for the June administration every year since it's administered in the afternoon on a Monday right before summer officially starts. There is typically less classroom space available at test centers that are a school/College/University since more classes are in session than on Saturdays, leaving less rooms/space available for LSAC to rent for administering the LSAT.

This year, just like last year, there's another factor involved too. The significant ongoing decrease in the amount of test takers that's been happening for the last ~4 years has made it hard for LSAC to accurately predict months in advance of test day how much classroom space they'll need to reserve in advance at each location to satisfy the volume of test takers demand for each location. Given that uncertainty, LSAC hasn't been reserving as much classroom space at each test center far in advance of test day as they used to when test taker volumes were higher and not dropping precipitously year after year. This has created the situation you and many others that didn't register long in advance are now in with the wait lists. As test day gets closer and wait lists build up, LSAC now uses that info to decide which test centers to try to reserve additional space at if available and/or to decide if they should/need to find additional locations in the vicinity that have available space to rent in order to accommodate higher than expected test taker demand/registrations to take the test.

LSAC is kinda playing it by ear these days with how much classroom space they reserve long in advance (reserving less than they used to far in advance of test day due to the huge decline in test takers and unpredictable test taker volumes going forward) and then adjusting as test day gets closer by reserving more classroom space if possible at high demand test centers and/or finding additional locations to use as test centers near the filled test centers that don't have more space available to make sure everyone that registers to take the test can get a test center reasonably close to home. Last year and the year before LSAC has added additional test centers in some high demand areas within the last month and sometimes even last week before administration date depending on how many people registered and requested test centers in whatever areas.

You'll get a spot for sure but may not find out which test center you're assigned to until close to test day depending on how things go with supply and demand of test takers and available classroom space in your area.

One option you might want to look into by contacting LSAC is the 'standby' option if they still do it. I'm not sure if LSAC still allows/does this so you'll need to check with them about it. In the recent past LSAC allowed registered test takers to go to a different test center than they're assigned to as a 'standby test taker' that'll be allowed to take it at that center if there ends up being an available seat due to no-shows and/or people registered for that center that ended up withdrawing their registration before test day like many people end up doing the night before the test once they realize they're not prepared to do their best and decide to postpone to a later administration.

I'm not sure if LSAC still allows people to do the standby test taker thing at a different test center than the one assigned on your test day admission slip, so definitely call LSAC and ask about that option if it's something you'd consider doing. With pretty much all high demand test centers that are filled long in advance of test day, there are still always at least a few seats that become open/available on test day due to no-shows and people that withdraw their registration shortly before/night before test day.

GL and try not to stress about it, just focus on being prepared to do your best in any environmental conditions since you may not know your assigned test center until possibly very close to test day.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun May 03, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:20 am

Clearly wrote:My understanding is they will make a special test center only if no other test center exists within a region. Not just because you missed a deadline, or didn't register early enough.
You needed to have registered for a non-published test centre by the 10th or 11th of April or so in order for them to set it up.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:21 am

Jeffort wrote:You'll get a spot for sure but may not find out which test center you're assigned to until close to test day depending on how things go with supply and demand of test takers and available classroom space in your area.
Just to add... you'll be notified 2 weeks before the test on where you'll be taking it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”