How do I improve my LR...HELP Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
aaaaa3512

New

How do I improve my LR...HELP

Post by aaaaa3512 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:47 am

This is my first time take this test, and I have prepared for 2 months...however I still cannot finish LR and RC sections on time, if I force myself to finish on time, I would miss lots of questions. Besides after practice and practice I have not see any improvements in LR and RC~ I am so frustrate right now..

Monkey D Luffy

Bronze

Re: How do I improve my LR...HELP

Post by Monkey D Luffy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:26 am

need advice on this too.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:35 am

Are you guys drilling by question type, are you identifying the question types that you're getting wrong/and or taking too long on? If so, what are they? Do you have problems understanding what the core of arguments are? Are you eliminating answers, recognizing the similar structures for each question type. Recognizing commonly wrong answers for each question types. Each question should begin to feel like you've done it before. Accuracy increases speed, not the other way around. You guys need to be as specific as you can in order to get the most help! You have to have a deep understanding of why you got questions wrong, or were too slow on to improve your score. I even look over the questions I got right. These are just some of things you guys need to be doing in order to improve on LR, as I'm sure some of the LSAT experts will tell you once they see this post.
Last edited by ltowns1 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:57 pm

ltowns1 wrote:Are you guys drilling by question type, are you identifying the question types that you're getting wrong/and or taking too long on? If so, what are they? Do you have problems understanding what the core of arguments are? Are you eliminating answers, recognizing the similar structures for each question type. Recognizing commonly wrong answers for each question types. Each question should begin to feel like you've done it before. Accuracy increases speed, not the other way around. You guys need to be as specific as you can in order to get the most help! You to have a deep understanding of why you got questions wrong, or were too slow on to improve your score. I even look over the questions I got right. These are just some of things you guys need to be doing in order to improve on LR, as I'm sure some of the LSAT experts will tell you once they see this post.
This, and I strongly emphasize eliminating wrong answers, alotta times you'll be able to eliminate 2-3 answer choices easily just because they don't remotely come close to doing what the question stem asks for, or contain irrelevant or out-of-scope info. After eliminating, focus hard on what remaining "contender" choices you have remaining and see which one does exactly what the question stem calls for.

aaaaa3512

New

Post by aaaaa3512 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:36 pm

ltowns1 wrote:Are you guys drilling by question type, are you identifying the question types that you're getting wrong/and or taking too long on? If so, what are they? Do you have problems understanding what the core of arguments are? Are you eliminating answers, recognizing the similar structures for each question type. Recognizing commonly wrong answers for each question types. Each question should begin to feel like you've done it before. Accuracy increases speed, not the other way around. You guys need to be as specific as you can in order to get the most help! You have to have a deep understanding of why you got questions wrong, or were too slow on to improve your score. I even look over the questions I got right. These are just some of things you guys need to be doing in order to improve on LR, as I'm sure some of the LSAT experts will tell you once they see this post.
Thanks! Actually i drilled pt 1-38 questions by type and pt 41-46, I found wordy questions very hard and need long time to solve. Yes I can eliminate two or three wrong answers, but still end up with a worng answer. I think i need conclud question structure to improve my accuracy and maybe redo pt 1-38 question by type. Thanks again~

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aaaaa3512

New

Post by aaaaa3512 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:47 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:Are you guys drilling by question type, are you identifying the question types that you're getting wrong/and or taking too long on? If so, what are they? Do you have problems understanding what the core of arguments are? Are you eliminating answers, recognizing the similar structures for each question type. Recognizing commonly wrong answers for each question types. Each question should begin to feel like you've done it before. Accuracy increases speed, not the other way around. You guys need to be as specific as you can in order to get the most help! You to have a deep understanding of why you got questions wrong, or were too slow on to improve your score. I even look over the questions I got right. These are just some of things you guys need to be doing in order to improve on LR, as I'm sure some of the LSAT experts will tell you once they see this post.
This, and I strongly emphasize eliminating wrong answers, alotta times you'll be able to eliminate 2-3 answer choices easily just because they don't remotely come close to doing what the question stem asks for, or contain irrelevant or out-of-scope info. After eliminating, focus hard on what remaining "contender" choices you have remaining and see which one does exactly what the question stem calls for.
Thanks, I can eliminate some wrong answers, but I always get confused on the rest two choices. I need long time to understand question stem and figure out flaws. Redoing some PT maybe helpful?

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:53 pm

OP, is English your first language?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:02 pm

aaaaa3512 wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:Are you guys drilling by question type, are you identifying the question types that you're getting wrong/and or taking too long on? If so, what are they? Do you have problems understanding what the core of arguments are? Are you eliminating answers, recognizing the similar structures for each question type. Recognizing commonly wrong answers for each question types. Each question should begin to feel like you've done it before. Accuracy increases speed, not the other way around. You guys need to be as specific as you can in order to get the most help! You have to have a deep understanding of why you got questions wrong, or were too slow on to improve your score. I even look over the questions I got right. These are just some of things you guys need to be doing in order to improve on LR, as I'm sure some of the LSAT experts will tell you once they see this post.
Thanks! Actually i drilled pt 1-38 questions by type and pt 41-46, I found wordy questions very hard and need long time to solve. Yes I can eliminate two or three wrong answers, but still end up with a worng answer. I think i need conclud question structure to improve my accuracy and maybe redo pt 1-38 question by type. Thanks again~
How familiar with the various commonly repeated flawed methods of reasoning have you gotten through your prep, drilling, PT's, review, etc.?

With LR assumption family questions (str, wkn, necessary assumption, sufficient assumption, describe the flaw, etc. question types based on flawed arguments), one of the most important keys to success (especially with the higher difficulty level questions) is developing your ability to break down and analyze the arguments critically so that you figure out/identify the flaw(s)/unwarranted assumption(s) in the argument BEFORE you dive into the answer choices.

Deep thorough review of each question after you've attempted it is one of the most important skills building parts of LSAT prep that's essential for significantly improving your score in order to hopefully get your score into the 160s and higher. Part of deep review includes making sure that you understand and are able to clearly see/identify the flaw(s)/unwarranted assumption(s) in the reasoning of each argument since the correct answers for all assumption family questions relate directly to the flaw(s)/unwarranted assumption(s) in the reasoning of the argument. For example, the correct answer for weaken questions attacks the unwarranted assumption(s)/flaw(s) of the argument while the correct answers for strengthen questions support the flawed assumption(s)/fix or mitigate the severity of the flaw(s) in the reasoning.

Proper review of each question after you've attempted it also includes making sure you are 100% clear about and understand the underlying logic behind why the correct answer is correct/logically works as well as why each of the incorrect answer choices is logically incorrect/doesn't work, especially with the attractive incorrect trap answers.

Since the LSAT is a standardized test, the test writers repeat the same flawed methods of reasoning over and over in each test-form and offer the same types (how they logically relate to the reasoning of the argument which makes them logically incorrect) of wrong answers and attractive trap answers within each of the question types and for each of the commonly repeated flawed methods of reasoning. The best way to learn those patterns so that you can use that knowledge to improve your skills/abilities is through thorough deep review of every question you attempt, regardless of whether you got it right or wrong when you attempted it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”