Doing a Small Set of Games Repeatedly

biggestlawman

Doing a Small Set of Games Repeatedly

Postby biggestlawman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:09 pm

I have struggled with LG until recently when I slow cooked LG for a while to see a turnaround. I have divided the Cambridge Packets into 4 evenly difficult sets, and I am almost done with the first set (45 games). How much can I squeeze out of the first set by repetition? Should I repeat it 3-4 times before touching the second set? Or, are couple attempts enough?

Shakawkaw

Re: Doing a Small Set of Games Repeatedly

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 pm

biggestlawman wrote:I have struggled with LG until recently when I slow cooked LG for a while to see a turnaround. I have divided the Cambridge Packets into 4 evenly difficult sets, and I am almost done with the first set (45 games). How much can I squeeze out of the first set by repetition? Should I repeat it 3-4 times before touching the second set? Or, are couple attempts enough?

When you say you've divided the packets, do you mean you divided them without any regard for type? Or that you divided them by type, but with varying degrees of difficulty? I'm going to guess it's the former. That's a no no with LG drilling, BLM!

sox49

Postby sox49 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25 pm

one suggestion that i would recommend is doing the games untimed and don't write anything down except the board, rules, inferences, and maybe a hypothetical. it has trained me to mentally take the steps needed to see how the game pieces move without having to write it down and allows me not only to have a better understanding of the games but also lets me move more quickly through them. basically the games are harder when you don't allow yourself to rewrite game boards for each question, so i felt like that made it a lot easier when i was doing timed sections with new material.

i feel like the way to prepare for the lsat is to master the task as thoroughly as possible before moving on to timed question sets. speed comes from ease.

that said i don't feel like going through a set of games again would be bad at all. at some point if you do them multiple times without a significant amount of time and/or seeing some other games i think you will reach a point where you begin to lose the benefit. at that point, set them down, move on, and of course return to them sometime. all material can be revisited. as much as the lsat is about understanding concepts, developing a consistent process for using this understanding to answer questions correctly is essential to executing on PTs and the real thing to the best of your ability. old material never gets old enough to practice your process.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:51 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:I have struggled with LG until recently when I slow cooked LG for a while to see a turnaround. I have divided the Cambridge Packets into 4 evenly difficult sets, and I am almost done with the first set (45 games). How much can I squeeze out of the first set by repetition? Should I repeat it 3-4 times before touching the second set? Or, are couple attempts enough?

When you say you've divided the packets, do you mean you divided them without any regard for type? Or that you divided them by type, but with varying degrees of difficulty? I'm going to guess it's the former. That's a no no with LG drilling, BLM!

Its the latter! I know the basics of drilling, Shak! :wink:

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:53 pm

sox49 wrote:one suggestion that i would recommend is doing the games untimed and don't write anything down except the board, rules, inferences, and maybe a hypothetical. it has trained me to mentally take the steps needed to see how the game pieces move without having to write it down and allows me not only to have a better understanding of the games but also lets me move more quickly through them. basically the games are harder when you don't allow yourself to rewrite game boards for each question, so i felt like that made it a lot easier when i was doing timed sections with new material.

i feel like the way to prepare for the lsat is to master the task as thoroughly as possible before moving on to timed question sets. speed comes from ease.

that said i don't feel like going through a set of games again would be bad at all. at some point if you do them multiple times without a significant amount of time and/or seeing some other games i think you will reach a point where you begin to lose the benefit. at that point, set them down, move on, and of course return to them sometime. all material can be revisited. as much as the lsat is about understanding concepts, developing a consistent process for using this understanding to answer questions correctly is essential to executing on PTs and the real thing to the best of your ability. old material never gets old enough to practice your process.

Similar to what I am doing! Sounds good!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”