Took a practice LSAT today, did well, need advice!

Jake1993

Took a practice LSAT today, did well, need advice!

Postby Jake1993 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi everybody,

So I'm Jake, sophomore at BYU, always felt like I'd make a good lawyer. Not done much in the way of research or prep for law school, but I got my hands on a practice test and took it this morning under regular test conditions. I didn't really even know what the sections were before I took them, and I had absolutely no study or preparation. Just took it cold turkey.

Logic games was my weakest area, I got an 18/23 but was rushed for time at the end. I felt very confident about both reasoning sections, finished with over five minutes to spare in each, and got a 24/25 and 23/25. My reading comprehension score was 23/27. My overall score was the high end of 166. I did enough research to know that's good, but I figured this would be a good place to figure out HOW good.

I'd like to take the test in October--what would be the best course of action between now and then to get my score in the 170s? I also don't come from a very financially privileged background so money is a huge issue in picking a law school. What sort of scholarships could a 166 (and potentially several points higher with study) get me at good schools?

Thanks,
Jake

EDIT: My GPA is complicated. Freshman year I did really bad and got a 3.3. Got a 4.0 this year though, and think I'll be able to get that throughout college. So my GPA is currently like a 3.65 and will likely climb to the 3.8s by graduation.
Last edited by Jake1993 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FairchildFLT

Re: Took a practice LSAT today, did well, need advice!

Postby FairchildFLT » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:57 pm

What's your GPA? That will be relevant information for the powers that be here...

Jake1993

Postby Jake1993 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:00 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:What's your GPA? That will be relevant information for the powers that be here...

Just edited that information in my original post!

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Just HOW good is a 166 diagnostic? It's VERY good. As in, you're well on your way to achieving whatever score you want which will get you very large scholarships. A 166 diagnostic is probably the upper echelon in terms of diagnostic scores. With some preparation you should be well on your way to scoring over 170.

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm going to repeat what I always say whenever I see someone post this.

Don't get an ego. Don't bother finding out just how well you did.

I got a 165 on a proctored PT and it significantly hindered my later prep. You're already at a point where a few extra questions net you large gains -- the last thing you need is to think "I know this, and can skip/skim/ignore this part" when studying for the real thing.

appind

Postby appind » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Jake1993 wrote:Hi everybody,

So I'm Jake, sophomore at BYU, always felt like I'd make a good lawyer. Not done much in the way of research or prep for law school, but I got my hands on a practice test and took it this morning under regular test conditions. I didn't really even know what the sections were before I took them, and I had absolutely no study or preparation. Just took it cold turkey.

Logic games was my weakest area, I got an 18/23 but was rushed for time at the end. I felt very confident about both reasoning sections, finished with over five minutes to spare in each, and got a 24/25 and 23/25. My reading comprehension score was 23/27. My overall score was the high end of 166. I did enough research to know that's good, but I figured this would be a good place to figure out HOW good.

I'd like to take the test in October--what would be the best course of action between now and then to get my score in the 170s? I also don't come from a very financially privileged background so money is a huge issue in picking a law school. What sort of scholarships could a 166 (and potentially several points higher with study) get me at good schools?

Thanks,
Jake

EDIT: My GPA is complicated. Freshman year I did really bad and got a 3.3. Got a 4.0 this year though, and think I'll be able to get that throughout college. So my GPA is currently like a 3.65 and will likely climb to the 3.8s by graduation.

good lord. there was a thread just a few days back how a girl took a pt no prep and got around what you got finishing all but lg with over 10mins to spare. your post however is unlike hers, so expect you'd fare better and with prep will score higher than the diagnostic.

k5220

Postby k5220 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Focus on your GPA for now; it's probably about a year too early to worry about the LSAT.

When you do get to studying for the LSAT, I'd really recommend TestMasters. I took their class at the advice of all my friends who made it to law school, and it helped me get from a 160 diagnostic to a 175 on test day(*). I don't come from a financially privileged background either (first generation college student with working class parents and part time jobs to put myself through school) so paying for the class was a really big deal for me, but I'm really glad I did. It ended up more than paying off in fee-waivers for applications and scholarship offers. They have the test really boiled down to a science and are really good at explaining what some of the poorly-worded questions are looking for. I really don't think I could've experienced the same score increase studying on my own, without the guided study plan hitting all the important points.

* To understand what LSAT scores mean a little better, you can fiddle around on this site http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm or check a particular school's admissions statistics. (You generally want to be above a school's median GPA & LSAT score to have a good shot of getting in, and then having a really good GPA or LSAT for that school will get you money). Rather than fretting too much about what your score means now though, you should probably just focus on getting the highest LSAT score you can and then make a strategy based on your actual numbers.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 am

If you intend to remain in Utah, are an LDS member & like BYU, then a scholarship is unnecessary as the annual tuition is just $11,600 plus living expenses & books. The University of Utah has a new law school facility & is about $25,000 per year for tuition. Any LSAT score in the mid-160s should get you lots of positive attention from both law schools.

If you want to go to law school outside of Utah (which is not necessary if you want to practice in Utah), then you need to score at least 168 to be considered for scholarships at law schools within the lower part of the Top 14 if you're GPA is at least 3.7. Obviously, scoring in the 170s will greatly enhance your chances for significant scholarship offers to T-14 law schools.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”