Post removed. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Generally

Gold

Post removed.

Post by Generally » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whacka

Gold

Re: Outlier PT scores

Post by whacka » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Last edited by whacka on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sox49

Bronze

Post by sox49 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:00 pm

i think you are over thinking it

i think the better question is: what are you getting wrong and why? figure that out and learn from those mistakes. i feel like we put way too much stock into our PT scores. yes, they give us an idea of how we can expect to preform on test day, but i think we should be trying to become as talented as we possibly can at doing the lsat so we can get as many questions right come test day. thats the benefit of the prep tests. scores are important but really every question you get wrong is another opportunity to understand where you fail and prevent that mistake from ever happening again.

so i would say you should be frustrated if you are getting things wrong that you SHOULD be getting right. if you are, then review, redrill, and study. if you are getting things wrong that you SHOULD NOT be getting right, then figure out how to make them things you should be getting right.

i feel like at your range, if you do not have timing issues, you should be focusing on getting a 180. i know that that is rare and for almost everyone they won't, but what i mean is don't concede any points or questions to the lsat. don't expect for them just to "get you" on a few questions. the test can be gotten on each question, and its matter of piece by piece, methodically understanding how and eliminating the chance of selecting wrong AC's.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:09 am

sox49 wrote:i think you are over thinking it

i think the better question is: what are you getting wrong and why? figure that out and learn from those mistakes. i feel like we put way too much stock into our PT scores. yes, they give us an idea of how we can expect to preform on test day, but i think we should be trying to become as talented as we possibly can at doing the lsat so we can get as many questions right come test day. thats the benefit of the prep tests. scores are important but really every question you get wrong is another opportunity to understand where you fail and prevent that mistake from ever happening again.

so i would say you should be frustrated if you are getting things wrong that you SHOULD be getting right. if you are, then review, redrill, and study. if you are getting things wrong that you SHOULD NOT be getting right, then figure out how to make them things you should be getting right.

i feel like at your range, if you do not have timing issues, you should be focusing on getting a 180. i know that that is rare and for almost everyone they won't, but what i mean is don't concede any points or questions to the lsat. don't expect for them just to "get you" on a few questions. the test can be gotten on each question, and its matter of piece by piece, methodically understanding how and eliminating the chance of selecting wrong AC's.
Yes to this^. Doing deep thorough review of every question, section and PT you take is essential and is the most important part of prep for improving your score after the learning the LSAT basics initial phase of prep.

OP, if you aren't already doing it, you should start thoroughly deeply reviewing every PT you take, including doing blind review and reviewing questions you got correct to see how you could have been more efficient.

Thorough review is essential to help you figure out your precise mistakes and weaknesses so you know what to work on more to further improve your process, methods and hands on performance skills to get them hopefully perfect for test day.

When you do deep review of each PT, you should create a detailed error log about the actual approach, step by step thought process and set of thoughts and decisions that went through your head each step of the way when you attempted each question you got wrong in order to figure out where you went wrong in the processes and why. Skills building, score improving review goes way deeper and far beyond just making sure in hindsight that you understand why the CR is correct and why the answer you selected is wrong.

You should basically do an autopsy of your start to finish thought and decision making processes that happened when you attempted each missed question to figure out why you ended up believing that a wrong answer was correct and why you thought the correct answer was wrong. Figuring out that stuff and then taking proactive measures to correct and improve your processes and fix any knowledge holes or misunderstandings is the main key to perfecting your skills to hopefully get to scoring mid/high 170s or even perfect 180 on test day. At the high end score range you're now in, fine tuning your approach and processes is priority #1 and you shouldn't leave any stone unturned during review.

Also, don't limit your review to questions you got wrong. Just because you got questions correct doesn't mean you got them right for the right reasons, did them the most efficient way or didn't get it correct partly due to luck/weren't logically certain or clear about it when you selected the answer.

By doing this, you'll better be able to pinpoint the causes for fluctuating and outlier scores and hopefully solidify good habits in order to perform much more consistently and better on PT's.

Deep through review and doing the right things with what you learn from it about your mistakes and weaknesses is where all the skills building, putting everything together properly to improve your score range magic happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”