167 PT with no prep, freshman in college

Clyde Frog

Re: 167 PT with no prep, freshman in college

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:56 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Re the plausibility of OP's story: He isn't necessarily lying. Personally, my diagnostic was 164 with -8 on LG, and I regularly finish LR and RC in under 30 minutes while going -0 or -1, even though I haven't really studied those sections. OP claims to do somewhat better than that, but he seems very privileged and has conceivably been trained to take standardized tests his entire life (he speaks of "consistently" getting certain SAT scores, so we know he studied for that). So, he could be telling the truth. Doesn't make him any less annoying or socially tone-deaf, but he isn't necessarily a liar.

Not saying it's not possible to score a high diagnostic, for example a girl on here last year scored something like a 174 on hers and hit a 180 on the real thing, although they claimed to have been struggling with time. -25 minutes is blazing though. I've just seen a ton of bullshit on here that makes me think otherwise.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
appind wrote:
blazerslol wrote:Yes, it was timed. 35 minutes per section, although I used ~25 on every section except LG. I also took all 5 in a straight shot, so my result should be relatively accurate, correct?

is this real as one would think that the only a handful of people could do LR/RC in 25 min and and score such high with no prep esp since it's broought down by -6 in lg

which PT? some PTs may play to your strengths. regardless this is a very rare diagnostic.

It's impressive, but certainly not unbelievably so. LR is half about reading speed, and I would say RC is mostly about that, and some people just read quickly.

It is unbelievable. The level of error is extremely small if you already missed 6 on the LG to get a 167 while finishing -25 minutes on the rest of the sections. That means you've basically read everything perfectly (didnt miss any tricky language) while selecting the right answer without going over the answer choices more than once. To put things in perspective about the difficulty of the test, Robin Singh, the owner of testmasters, who has scored twelve 180s, has only once had a perfect test where he did not miss a question. There are always tough questions, especially in LR and RC that require you not to read quickly. Someone with extensive knowledge of the test (scoring high 170s consistently) would most likely not be able to finish -25 minutes with a high degree of accuracy, let alone someone that has never seen the test.

You can miss, like, up to 15 questions and still land a 167 on certain tests. My guess is s/he missed 0/1 on RC and a handful on LG - not extremely difficult for a lot of speed readers. We're really not talking about being perfect in the other sections, and I'm not sure why you're portraying it that way.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:00 pm

167 is impressive, but OTOH a 167 is a far cry from a 175.

Regardless, OP should focus on nailing that 4.0 and copping a sweet internship for this summer instead of cramming for the LSATs. It actually is probably too late for something impressive like the Hill, MBB, et al. but that's the direction he/she needs to look to even if he/she is intent on KJDing into HYS.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:02 pm

I'm assuming OP took June 2007, since they said no prep.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:I'm assuming OP took June 2007, since they said no prep.

I don't understand this assumption. Could you explain how/why you made it?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:

It's the free PT on LSAC.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Rigo wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:

It's the free PT on LSAC.

Oh, I had figured it was one of the proctored ones Kaplan offers. Thanks for explaining your reasoning.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:29 pm

blazerslol wrote:With regards to the time on non LG sections, I consistently got 800's on CR on the SAT (including on the real test and 80 on the PSAT) with finishing that section in half the allotted time.

some could say that it's not exactly no prep. say if someone worked on logical reasoning problems as a hobby and as a philosophy major then that may count as prep as opposed to not having had any experience with the type of logic and reasoning tested on the test ever.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:

It's the one that's free on the LSAC website.

OP, if you want to write the LSAT in September or even June go nuts. Worst case scenario you end up retaking. But please consider getting some work experience before applying.

eta scooped re: june 07

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:35 pm

OP, which test was it?

ETA: If it was the June '07 one, s/he still could have missed five more questions, which seems plausible for a fast reader.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:35 pm

appind wrote:
blazerslol wrote:With regards to the time on non LG sections, I consistently got 800's on CR on the SAT (including on the real test and 80 on the PSAT) with finishing that section in half the allotted time.

some could say that it's not exactly no prep. say if someone worked on logical reasoning problems as a hobby and as a philosophy major then that may count as prep as opposed to not having had any experience with the type of logic and reasoning tested on the test ever.

OP is a freshman in college. Factored the philosophy major. Only logical reasoning problems would be the LSAT ones and that would count as prep. OP said they had no prior prep. Just calling it how I see it. Have seen many threads like this the past couple years. Most have been lies.
Last edited by Clyde Frog on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 pm

This is getting way too much attention.
OP, that's cool. Study if you want.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:48 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:OP, which test was it?

ETA: If it was the June '07 one, s/he still could have missed five more questions, which seems plausible for a fast reader.

can being a fast reader alone make one do LR/RC in 25 min a piece while doing only -5 on these three sections combined?
it seems some familiarity with the type of questions is needed either through a hobby doing such puzzles growing up or some other factor for this to happen.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:55 pm

appind wrote:

can being a fast reader alone make one do LR/RC in 25 min a piece while doing only -5 on these three sections combined?
it seems some familiarity with the type of questions is needed either through a hobby doing such puzzles growing up or some other factor for this to happen.

Honestly, some people are just really smart. I knew this guy who scored 1600 on the old SAT in sixth or seventh grade. People like this really exist.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Please just let this thread die.

blazerslol

Postby blazerslol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:17 pm

I didn't expect to get shit on for asking a relatively simple question; I did get a 167 on my first and only PT in the manner I described, and if you don't believe me that's fine. I am not a philosophy major and I have not prepped for the LSAT (if studying for the SAT several years ago counts as prep, I think that most people would be disqualified from saying "no-prep"). Bragging about having "rich" parents does not make you many friends, online or in real life, but to pretend that it isn't relevant in a discussion about law school or my decisions regarding law school is absurd. I am a very socially unaware person and I am somewhat privileged, but to accuse me of chasing dollar signs is harsh and unwarranted. Nothing in my posts indicate that I'm interested in going to law school to make money, and in fact I want to do public interest work which generally does not pay very well.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:27 pm

lashley

Postby lashley » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Just wanted to make a quick point that your score will only be good for 5 years, so if you take it now 3 years will have elapsed by the time you are graduating college. That may not be the best route to go, especially since having work experience will help you get into the schools you seem to be targeting.

blazerslol

Postby blazerslol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:32 pm

It was PrepTest 29, I bought the cheapest LSAC preptest book available. I got 85 out of 101 correct. The breakdowns go as follows: Section 1, 21, Section 2, 26, Section 3 (LG) 16 and Section IV 22. I scored very well in all sections except logic games, and I was really just looking for input as to whether I could teach myself LG and put myself in a place where I could score 175 plus. According to the book, scoring 8 more points (the points I lost in LG) would take me to 93/101 which equates to a 175.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:44 pm

blazerslol wrote:It was PrepTest 29, I bought the cheapest LSAC preptest book available. I got 85 out of 101 correct. The breakdowns go as follows: Section 1, 21, Section 2, 26, Section 3 (LG) 16 and Section IV 22. I scored very well in all sections except logic games, and I was really just looking for input as to whether I could teach myself LG and put myself in a place where I could score 175 plus. According to the book, scoring 8 more points (the points I lost in LG) would take me to 93/101 which equates to a 175.

My bet is you'll also be able to tidy up a bit on LR. As a warning, RC gets a bit denser in later tests, but you should still be fine, given your timing safety net.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:47 pm

OP, have you considered dental school?

whacka

Postby whacka » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:09 am

Last edited by whacka on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyrilfiggis

Postby cyrilfiggis » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:14 am

RZ5646 wrote:OP, have you considered dental school?

+1

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:51 am

blazerslol wrote:It was PrepTest 29, I bought the cheapest LSAC preptest book available. I got 85 out of 101 correct. The breakdowns go as follows: Section 1, 21, Section 2, 26, Section 3 (LG) 16 and Section IV 22. I scored very well in all sections except logic games, and I was really just looking for input as to whether I could teach myself LG and put myself in a place where I could score 175 plus. According to the book, scoring 8 more points (the points I lost in LG) would take me to 93/101 which equates to a 175.

There are a lot of jerks up here who think it's their priority to make judgements about how and why you do things up here,and on the test that have nothing to do with the question you actually asked them. There are a lot of people that can, and sincerely want to help too, so don't be discouraged by some of the fools. You can certainly improve on your LG score, and it is definitely possible for you to get in the high 170's, or even a perfect score. The LG section is the easiest to improve on, you just need exposure to more games and maybe an instructional booklet. (Logic Games Bible or Manhattan Logic Games Guide) You're already ahead of the game! Good luck blazerlol

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:05 pm

I read through the Superprep book and took the Superprep A, B, C in that order. Superprep A was my diagnostic (but not entirely cold due to having read through the prep book obviously). I scored a 175 for Superprep A. I have two official LSAT scores, a 170 and a 176. I guess what I mean is, scoring high on a diagnostic is possible but it will not be directly indicative of the lower bound of your actual LSAT score, due to exam day conditions. But still, scoring high on your "diagnostic" feels good, so congratz.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”