167 PT with no prep, freshman in college Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
blazerslol

New

167 PT with no prep, freshman in college

Post by blazerslol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi, I'm a freshman in college and I PT'd a 167 with no prep and with not answering 6 LG questions due to unfamiliarity with the test and lack of time. I have a lot of free time this summer (which I may not have in future summers due to internships), so I was thinking about studying furiously this summer (20 to 30 hours a week) and taking the LSAT in October. Is it feasible for me to score in the high 170's or even hit 180? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: 167 PT with no prep, freshman in college

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Was this timed?

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Rigo wrote:Was this timed?

blazerslol

New

Post by blazerslol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes, it was timed. 35 minutes per section, although I used ~25 on every section except LG. I also took all 5 in a straight shot, so my result should be relatively accurate, correct?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Then yeah, a tippy top score is possible given your high score diagnostic.
I would put LSAT on the back burner for at least a couple more years though. You're a freshman. Enjoy being young.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:14 pm

wow i'm super impressed

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 pm

From a fellow high diagnostic person, you must have something better to do this summer than studying for the LSAT. Go enjoy life before responsibilities start weighing you down. And you're a freshman, so odds are that by the time you should actually start thinking about law school, you won't want to be a lawyer anymore anyway, and then you'll have wasted an entire summer.

Come back in 2 years.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:17 pm

I disagree. If you're scoring that high now and your schedule would allow it, then go with your plan. Take the test, get it over with, keep your GPA high, and make sure to graduate before it expires. Congratulations, and good luck bud!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:18 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:wow i'm super impressed
OP is such a bright young man. An inspiration, really. I, for one, am honored to post in his thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:20 pm

omg why are you doing fully timed practice tests as a freshman :shock:

universityof

New

Post by universityof » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Focus on getting great grades. The LSAT isn't going any where.

Sincerely,
a splitter

blazerslol

New

Post by blazerslol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:25 pm

hairbear7 wrote:omg why are you doing fully timed practice tests as a freshman :shock:
I was contemplating switching from a very boring major (albeit with very high earning potential) to a humanities major that I'm more interested in but has worse prospects. I wanted to see whether attending a great law school was a real possibility for me before I made that switch. I think that ~3 hours of my time were worth having more security in my mind.

blazerslol

New

Post by blazerslol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:26 pm

universityof wrote:Focus on getting great grades. The LSAT isn't going any where.

Sincerely,
a splitter
While I appreciate that advice, I can't exactly work on my grades over the summer (beyond taking fluff community college classes which I have no interest in that could possibly even hurt me for schools like Yale or Harvard).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:30 pm

blazerslol wrote: I was contemplating switching from a very boring major (albeit with very high earning potential) to a humanities major
Don't. Seriously. Don't lock yourself into having to go to law school. Do the boring major, make money, and then go to law school if you want.

LS will always be an option; don't make it your only option.

Sincerely,

a 4.0+ humanities major who would rather be a 3.0 engineer.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:31 pm

blazerslol wrote:Hi, I'm a freshman in college and I PT'd a 167 with no prep and with not answering 6 LG questions due to unfamiliarity with the test and lack of time. I have a lot of free time this summer (which I may not have in future summers due to internships), so I was thinking about studying furiously this summer (20 to 30 hours a week) and taking the LSAT in October. Is it feasible for me to score in the high 170's or even hit 180? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
if you're a freshman in college... why? Get good grades, drink booze, and chill. You got 3 years or more before you should start studying. You may change your mind about law school 50 times before then.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:40 pm

blazerslol wrote:Yes, it was timed. 35 minutes per section, although I used ~25 on every section except LG. I also took all 5 in a straight shot, so my result should be relatively accurate, correct?
Only took me -10 minutes to get a 180 on my diagnostics when I was in kindergarten.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:57 pm

blazerslol wrote:Yes, it was timed. 35 minutes per section, although I used ~25 on every section except LG. I also took all 5 in a straight shot, so my result should be relatively accurate, correct?
is this real as one would think that the only a handful of people could do LR/RC in 25 min and and score such high with no prep esp since it's broought down by -6 in lg

which PT? some PTs may play to your strengths. regardless this is a very rare diagnostic.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:14 pm

appind wrote:
is this real as one would think that the only a handful of people could do LR/RC in 25 min and and score such high with no prep esp since it's broought down by -6 in lg

which PT? some PTs may play to your strengths. regardless this is a very rare diagnostic.
Seen threads made like this many times. Usually ends up with them on here a few months later talking about scoring in the 150s, forgetting they made some outlandish post about a 170-type diagnostic.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:19 pm

appind wrote:

It's impressive, but certainly not unbelievably so. LR is half about reading speed, and I would say RC is mostly about that, and some people just read quickly.

blazerslol

New

Post by blazerslol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:23 pm

I can see why this post might be perceived as a troll, but I'm just trying to get substantive advice. I have a relatively unique situation in that I would come out of law school debt free regardless of COA (even columbia law at ~250k) so "locking" my self into law school is not as horrible as it sounds. This isn't a situation where I would be blowing savings, my parents are willing to finance my graduate school education due to the fact that my undergrad is relatively cheap. With regards to the time on non LG sections, I consistently got 800's on CR on the SAT (including on the real test and 80 on the PSAT) with finishing that section in half the allotted time.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:33 pm

Ugh you're annoying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:39 pm

appind wrote:

It's not as rare as you think. People who score that high just usually don't start humblebrag threads about it on TLS.
I can see why this post might be perceived as a troll, but I'm just trying to get substantive advice. I have a relatively unique situation in that I would come out of law school debt free regardless of COA (even columbia law at ~250k) so "locking" my self into law school is not as horrible as it sounds. This isn't a situation where I would be blowing savings, my parents are willing to finance my graduate school education due to the fact that my undergrad is relatively cheap. With regards to the time on non LG sections, I consistently got 800's on CR on the SAT (including on the real test and 80 on the PSAT) with finishing that section in half the allotted time.
OP, bragging about having rich parents won't win you any support here either. (And being rich on TLS is hardly "unique.")

We are giving you genuine advice. Here's what you need to do: 1) fix your attitude, 2) get off TLS, 3) go do something meaningful with your life instead of chasing standardized test scores and dollar signs, 4) if you want to be a lawyer once you're graduating college, then study for the LSAT.

You think you're a special snowflake, but you're a type we see here all the time. In fact, you're such a great example of that type that you seem like a troll... your post is like a parody of the TLS striver rich kid. If you had any sense, you'd follow our advice and stop worrying about the LSAT for at least two years, but instead I'm sure you're going to get sucked into this aspie hellhole of academic one-upmanship that we call TLS.
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:40 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
appind wrote:

It's impressive, but certainly not unbelievably so. LR is half about reading speed, and I would say RC is mostly about that, and some people just read quickly.

It is unbelievable. The level of error is extremely small if you already missed 6 on the LG to get a 167 while finishing -25 minutes on the rest of the sections. That means you've basically read everything perfectly (didnt miss any tricky language) while selecting the right answer without going over the answer choices more than once. To put things in perspective about the difficulty of the test, Robin Singh, the owner of testmasters, who has scored twelve 180s, has only once had a perfect test where he did not miss a question. There are always tough questions, especially in LR and RC that require you not to read quickly. Someone with extensive knowledge of the test (scoring high 170s consistently) would most likely not be able to finish -25 minutes with a high degree of accuracy, let alone someone that has never seen the test.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Re the plausibility of OP's story: He isn't necessarily lying. Personally, my diagnostic was 164 with -8 on LG, and I regularly finish LR and RC in under 30 minutes while going -0 or -1, even though I haven't really studied those sections. OP claims to do somewhat better than that, but he seems very privileged and has conceivably been trained to take standardized tests his entire life (he speaks of "consistently" getting certain SAT scores, so we know he studied for that). So, he could be telling the truth. Doesn't make him any less annoying or socially tone-deaf, but he isn't necessarily a liar.

boaltlaw

New

Post by boaltlaw » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:52 pm

@Clyde, it isn't realistic, though my cousin did get a 167 diagnostic (decided not to go to law school).

OP, if you have nothing better to do I would say go for it. I thought about it after 1st year of college but didn't end up doing it. I was probably more eager/motivated then, but I probably would have a diagnostic in the low 150's, and had neither the talent nor the vocabulary that you probably have.

I would say study for a few months, take the lsat, and then if you decide not to go to law school then it's not that big of a deal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”