Preptest 31 section 3 #24 app. dealer

ltowns1

Preptest 31 section 3 #24 app. dealer

Postby ltowns1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:30 pm

I had it down to E and D. I chose E because I thought the if the model number **stayed the same, it would be harder for the consumer to identify?? I get why d is correct now, but can someone explain why my reasoning for E is wrong?? Thanks.
Last edited by ltowns1 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christine (MLSAT)

Re: Preptest 31 section 3 #24 app. dealer

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Hey ltowns1!

I'm not really following your reasoning on (E). Why would a changed model number make it harder for consumers to identify?

So, Joe goes over to his neighbor Bob's house and see's Bob's Nimbus 2000. He wants one just like it. Nimbus, meanwhile, has made a minor modification to widget spinner, and names the new-and-improved version the Firebolt.

If Joe really does want something EXACTLY like Bob's, then this changed model name would actually make it easier for Joe to identify the one that was exactly like Bob's. I suppose that it might make it harder for Joe to find which current model was the new version of Bob's, though, but so what? (And if they had named it the Nimbus 3000 instead of the Firebolt, I suppose it would still be okay.)

But what does any of this matter?

First, (E) doesn't actually tell us that the manufacturers do or don't change the model names. We already know from the premises that they typically don't (first sentence). (E) is just telling me why they don't.

Second, you seem to be saying that changing the model number is bad. If this argument is saying that we shouldn't object to the same-name-policy, then the idea that changing the model name is bad wouldn't weaken the argument!

Second, our job is to weaken this argument, and that means we want to find an answer choice that gives us a reason why the same-name-policy might be bad for consumers. But even if you read (E) as straight up telling us that they don't change model names, the answer choice doesn't tell us the IMPACT of that - all your thoughts about how that might be bad for the consumer are things that YOU are bringing to the party. Those weren't in the answer choice itself!

The only one that gives me a possible bad result for consumers under the same-name-policy is (D) - if stores keep multiple versions with the same name, then Joe might see Bob's 2015 version of the Firebolt, go to the store and ask for the Firebolt, and unknowingly buy a 2013 version of the Firebolt that doesn't have the solar-power-widget-spinner that he saw on Bob's. That would be bad! ;)

What do you think?

ltowns1

Re: Preptest 31 section 3 #24 app. dealer

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Yeah i made a mistake in my initial post. What i meant to say was if they were RELUCTANT(My bad lol) to change the product number then it would make it harder for them to identify. I think I just needed someone to explain it to me, after hearing your reasoning, it makes perfect sense! Thanks as always!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”