Which Analytical Reasoning questions do you find

scalawag

Which Analytical Reasoning questions do you find

Postby scalawag » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:22 pm

to be the most difficult.

As I work through the Analytical Reasoning bible I am finding that most of the questions it claims are most difficult (Strengthen, Justify, and Assumption) are much more easier than Must Be True questions. In these question types the components that construct the argument jump out at you, and with them the strength or flaws that argument posses. The questions deal more with your ability to discern an argument rather than your ability to nitpick minute details from a set of facts. Often you know the general area that the correct answer choice falls in before you get there, and if you don't you know right away if a question is a contender.

I also disagree with the Bible's suggestion not to read the question stem first - this tells you what to look for, and if it's something like a Main Point question you really don't need to look for the same things you would look for in another question type.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Clyde Frog

Re: Which Analytical Reasoning questions do you find

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Logical reasoning questions*

I thought the bible told you to read the question stems first, at least Manhattan does, which you should do IMO.

Must be true should be easier than assumption type questions, because you can prove a must be true question 100% from the passage.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:35 pm

scalawag wrote:to be the most difficult.

As I work through the Analytical Reasoning bible I am finding that most of the questions it claims are most difficult (Strengthen, Justify, and Assumption) are much more easier than Must Be True questions. In these question types the components that construct the argument jump out at you, and with them the strength or flaws that argument posses. The questions deal more with your ability to discern an argument rather than your ability to nitpick minute details from a set of facts. Often you know the general area that the correct answer choice falls in before you get there, and if you don't you know right away if a question is a contender.

I also disagree with the Bible's suggestion not to read the question stem first - this tells you what to look for, and if it's something like a Main Point question you really don't need to look for the same things you would look for in another question type.

Reasonable minds differ on the second part. I for one wholeheartedly agree with PS on that one.

Also, analytical reasoning is the games section. You're talking about logical reasoning.

KDLMaj

Postby KDLMaj » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:37 pm

There's been a lot of back and forth on when to read the question stem. I'm firmly in the "READ IT UP FRONT DAMNIT" camp. As Clyde noted- the way we read these stims is different depending on the question type. But I know enough smart people who're good at the LSAT who don't agree with me.

In terms of the "Must Be True" questions- it's really about knowing what to look for. See if this helps: https://cloud.box.com/s/20w3xoruoerxuq3o89rq

But mostly, here's the deal:

1) Circle all degree and amount words (especially early on as you're learning this). Typing a mental process to a physical one makes it easier to learn. A sizable chunk of these questions are really only testing you on degree/amount. Make sure you also note degree/amount language in answer choices.

2) Pause and Paraphrase after each sentence. You are being tested largely on your understanding of the stim- if you rush through the stim, you're screwed. (You really should be doing this with all stims)

4) Write out the FL- don't try to keep it in your head

5) LOOK FOR COMBINATIONS

If the LSAT says:
People with diabetes often deal with substantial medical bills, which can wreck havoc on the local economy. Country A has recently adopted legislation to cut all funding to diabetes funding in order to help save money.

The LSAT is screaming at you- "COMBINE THESE STATEMENTS AND MAKE A DEDUCTION" (i.e. Country A's plan may, in fact, backfire)

This is a biggie. I often see newer test takers get their behinds handed to them by these questions because they aren't looking to combine statements and make deductions. They'll get it when it's obviously FL, but they won't get it if it isn't. Look for repetition of concept (diabetes, in this case) between two statements as a sign that you probably have a deduction you're expected to make.

Make sense?

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 pm

KDLMaj wrote:

There's been a lot of back and forth on when to read the question stem. I'm firmly in the "READ IT UP FRONT DAMNIT" camp. As Clyde noted- the way we read these stims is different depending on the question type. But I know enough smart people who're good at the LSAT who don't agree with me.

In terms of the "Must Be True" questions- it's really about knowing what to look for. See if this helps: https://cloud.box.com/s/20w3xoruoerxuq3o89rq

But mostly, here's the deal:

1) Circle all degree and amount words (especially early on as you're learning this). Typing a mental process to a physical one makes it easier to learn. A sizable chunk of these questions are really only testing you on degree/amount. Make sure you also note degree/amount language in answer choices.

2) Pause and Paraphrase after each sentence. You are being tested largely on your understanding of the stim- if you rush through the stim, you're screwed. (You really should be doing this with all stims)

4) Write out the FL- don't try to keep it in your head

5) LOOK FOR COMBINATIONS

If the LSAT says:
People with diabetes often deal with substantial medical bills, which can wreck havoc on the local economy. Country A has recently adopted legislation to cut all funding to diabetes funding in order to help save money.

The LSAT is screaming at you- "COMBINE THESE STATEMENTS AND MAKE A DEDUCTION" (i.e. Country A's plan may, in fact, backfire)

This is a biggie. I often see newer test takers get their behinds handed to them by these questions because they aren't looking to combine statements and make deductions. They'll get it when it's obviously FL, but they won't get it if it isn't. Look for repetition of concept (diabetes, in this case) between two statements as a sign that you probably have a deduction you're expected to make.

Make sense?

Yes. Thank for typing that out - that means a lot and will help a ton with MBT questions.

cantis

Postby cantis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:52 pm

I typically struggle with Parallel Reasoning questions. I can get them right they just take me so long to figure out.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:53 pm

cantis wrote:I typically struggle with Parallel Reasoning questions. I can get them right they just take me so long to figure out.

The best thing to do with PR is to only move on to the answer choices after you have a solid prephrase of the argument structure in your head. The problem many make is bouncing back and forth between the answers choices and passage trying to match things up. You can usually eliminate 3-4 answer choices right away with a solid understanding of the argument structure in the passage.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:20 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
cantis wrote:I typically struggle with Parallel Reasoning questions. I can get them right they just take me so long to figure out.

The best thing to do with PR is to only move on to the answer choices after you have a solid prephrase of the argument structure in your head. The problem many make is bouncing back and forth between the answers choices and passage trying to match things up. You can usually eliminate 3-4 answer choices right away with a solid understanding of the argument structure in the passage.

This is too simple for lsat prep, please complicate the hell out of this and repost it :lol:

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:Logical reasoning questions*

I thought the bible told you to read the question stems first, at least Manhattan does, which you should do IMO.

Must be true should be easier than assumption type questions, because you can prove a must be true question 100% from the passage.

I've actually scored every Assumption question correctly in diagnostics before prep (along with other "hard" question types)

So no brah they are not easier because I only answered 40% right of MBT without practice.

Brah, you need to praise Jah and stop worrying about whether or not your LSAT penis is bigger than the Kaplan teacher. The LSAT doesn't determine how good your legal arguments are, or how good of a lawyer you'll be (within reason).

What did Kenny Powers say, oh yea I'm just trying to get into an accredited school and get some financial aid, not be the best at e̶x̶e̶r̶c̶i̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ taking the LSAT.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:32 am

scalawag wrote:

I've actually scored every Assumption question correctly in diagnostics before prep (along with other "hard" question types)

So no brah they are not easier because I only answered 40% right of MBT without practice.

Brah, you need to praise Jah and stop worrying about whether or not your LSAT penis is bigger than the Kaplan teacher. The LSAT doesn't determine how good your legal arguments are, or how good of a lawyer you'll be (within reason).

What did Kenny Powers say, oh yea I'm just trying to get into an accredited school and get some financial aid, not be the best at e̶x̶e̶r̶c̶i̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ taking the LSAT.

Except you do need to be great at the lsat to go to a good school, to get an actual job and be an actual lawyer at all...

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:50 am

scalawag wrote:

You gotta lay off the booze

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:35 am

Clearly wrote:
scalawag wrote:

Except you do need to be great at the lsat to go to a good school, to get an actual job and be an actual lawyer at all...

Last time I checked with people in the profession there is an exam called the bar exam that you have to pass. That determines whether or not you are a lawyer. There are starving lawyers from all schools, and there are good lawyers from the schools you look down on that will beat you in court.

Some law schools will better position you to specialize in a certain field, or enter big law than others will, but I think it is kind of dumb for undergrads to already know what to specialize in.

If you're doing this for the prestige then you will be one of the guys who is saying "Don't go to law school do something else".

I'm not drinking again until I take this test at least twice, now back to studying for it.

edit: I wasn't drinking obviously I just cringe when I read some of these posts. I'll have plenty of time to drink in law school

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:24 pm

scalawag wrote:
Clearly wrote:
scalawag wrote:

Last time I checked with people in the profession there is an exam called the bar exam that you have to pass. That determines whether or not you are a lawyer. There are starving lawyers from all schools, and there are good lawyers from the schools you look down on that will beat you in court.

Some law schools will better position you to specialize in a certain field, or enter big law than others will, but I think it is kind of dumb for undergrads to already know what to specialize in.

If you're doing this for the prestige then you will be one of the guys who is saying "Don't go to law school do something else".

I'm not drinking again until I take this test at least twice, now back to studying for it.

edit: I wasn't drinking obviously I just cringe when I read some of these posts. I'll have plenty of time to drink in law school

First off, I'm glad you're not drinking anymore. Second, when people on here give advice to get better scores it's not because we're full of ourselves. If your goal is to simply pass the bar and be unemployed then TLS is probably not for you. Being unemployed with 200k+ debt is very realistic for a large portion of students graduating every year from law school. Here is a great site http://lawschooltransparency.com that will show you what percentage of graduates will be employed, earnings ect., after law school. Check it out before announcing that it doesn't matter what law school you go to. Also check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753 You'll see almost 400 pages of members on here who are struggling with employment and debt.

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:00 pm

[quote = "Clyde Frog"]
First off, I'm glad you're not drinking anymore. Second, when people on here give advice to get better scores it's not because we're full of ourselves. If your goal is to simply pass the bar and be unemployed then TLS is probably not for you. Being unemployed with 200k+ debt is very realistic for a large portion of students graduating every year from law school. Here is a great site http://lawschooltransparency.com that will show you what percentage of graduates will be employed, earnings ect., after law school. Check it out before announcing that it doesn't matter what law school you go to. Also check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753 You'll see almost 400 pages of members on here who are struggling with employment and debt.[/quote]

No I appreciate the advice man. I got pissed off when you calling me a moron - I was a regular smoker and combine stopping that with the LSAT well it took me a week to stop getting pissed off at little things (granted I was a moron - and hey those games grouped by type - there is an undefined advanced linear game in the basic defined, and some of the "undefined" grouping games are actually balanced - you get what you pay for). I've just decided my ducks don't have to be in a row and I can just solve them.

I digress - thanks for posting the link, I will check both of them out and I really appreciate you taking the time to help all of us.

I will be here because I am going to take the October LSAT. Two months isn't enough to maximize my score, I can see that. This board has changed my attitude and my approach to studying for the better.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:26 pm

scalawag wrote:[quote = "Clyde Frog"]
First off, I'm glad you're not drinking anymore. Second, when people on here give advice to get better scores it's not because we're full of ourselves. If your goal is to simply pass the bar and be unemployed then TLS is probably not for you. Being unemployed with 200k+ debt is very realistic for a large portion of students graduating every year from law school. Here is a great site http://lawschooltransparency.com that will show you what percentage of graduates will be employed, earnings ect., after law school. Check it out before announcing that it doesn't matter what law school you go to. Also check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753 You'll see almost 400 pages of members on here who are struggling with employment and debt.

No I appreciate the advice man. I got pissed off when you calling me a moron - I was a regular smoker and combine stopping that with the LSAT well it took me a week to stop getting pissed off at little things (granted I was a moron - and hey those games grouped by type - there is an undefined advanced linear game in the basic defined, and some of the "undefined" grouping games are actually balanced - you get what you pay for). I've just decided my ducks don't have to be in a row and I can just solve them.

I digress - thanks for posting the link, I will check both of them out and I really appreciate you taking the time to help all of us.

I will be here because I am going to take the October LSAT. Two months isn't enough to maximize my score, I can see that. This board has changed my attitude and my approach to studying for the better.[/quote]

If I was you and are planning to take the test in October then I would maybe look into buying the Manhattan books. The LR book is the best out there without a question. The LG is the best IMO but people sometimes differ on that. They have a solid RC book also.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”