Quit job I dislike to study for LSAT, or suck it up?

branflakes630

Quit job I dislike to study for LSAT, or suck it up?

Postby branflakes630 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Ill keep it brief. Thank you for the help.

I'm 22, graduated May 2014. Worked abroad for 2 months, working at an accounting (in audit) firm full time for 6 months next week(medium size company - ok work experience). I got a 162 on my first attempt, didn't study as well/hard as I could have. My current job is....cool? I'm not really learning much and its awfully boring, but its a good company. If I wait until October, I will have to study for my CPA, and not have much time, and I don't think ill maximize my score if I just work and study. So do you think its a good/bad/personal preference kind of idea to quit this silly job, study for 5 weeks, and apply for another job (tax) when I'm done? Financially it isn't a problem. I just figure if I want to switch fields anyway, why not have some time to really focus on the LSAT, maybe GMAT for grad school, I may as well try my best at each then half ass both.

sandwhich

Re: Quit job I dislike to study for LSAT, or suck it up?

Postby sandwhich » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:30 pm

It really seems like you're just looking for an excuse not to work a mundane 9-5. I'm not sure it's necessary to quit a job to study for the LSAT, however, if you're MUST take in june, then you'll need all the time you can get. Personally, I think you'd be better off putting off taking the LSAT until October and give yourself much more time to study. 5 weeks just isn't enough for one of the most important tests of your life (as a lawyer).

branflakes630

Postby branflakes630 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Yeah, I honestly would like to quit, but I won't do so unless I have a valid reason. And honestly, I don't really see too much of a reason to stay here. Work experience, honestly is about it. Its about 7 weeks until the June LSAT, but less after I put my time in. The big issue with October is that if I stay at my firm I need to start getting my CPA tests done. Even one will probably take a couple months while working. Then I'm back to where I'm currently at. (I have been studying a bit so far for the June LSAT) I just figure, maybe naively so, that I can switch fields in accounting and hopefully get something better once I'm done with this.

BrownieD

Postby BrownieD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm sensing that you're not quite sure of your career path yet. I personally don't see the need to rush to take the test. Why not just take your time studying after work, even if that means after you're done with the CPA tests? And if you really don't like your job or think it's kind of a waste, focus on find something satisfying or more useful for your career. You're young, so take your time.

I<3ScholarlySweets!

Postby I<3ScholarlySweets! » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:51 pm

How much do u earn per hour?

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:23 am

branflakes630 wrote: I just figure if I want to switch fields anyway, why not have some time to really focus on the LSAT, maybe GMAT for grad school, I may as well try my best at each then half ass both.

I would argue OP has the order reversed.....you should make the decision to become lawyer or go to business school first and then worry about studying for the LSAT or GMAT

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:32 am

When are you going to apply for law school? Next cycle, for enrollment in 2016 fall?
It's too late to apply for the current cycle and even for next cycle you can take the LSAT in the fall, or December or February (although fall is recommended since it's rolling admissions)
I think you should stay at your current job for at least 1 year, it also looks better on your resume to show that you can commit and settle down for a minimum of 1 year.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”