anyone in here into self development books? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
flash21

Gold

anyone in here into self development books?

Post by flash21 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi guys,

I'd imagine TLS'ers are into self development at least a little bit (judging by how hard we study).

Anyway, thought we could discuss or recommend self development type books that would be relevant to the LSAT perhaps not directly, but indirectly. For example, talking about the development of skill / what really distinguishes those who are great from those who never improve. i'll suggest some of my favourite books - will probably update as the summer goes on and I read more / order more. I think you can find the authors on google - my books are in the other room right now, too lazy to go grab them :P

1.) Talent is Overrated - speaks about the divide of talent and skill and what really separates the greats from those who are mediocre or quit. Deliberate practice is something I believe is directly related to the LSAT and is one of the core things in this book I believe.

2.) Mindfulness is better than chocolate -speaks about mindfulness/ meditation. If you think this sounds like BS, there is scientific studies (that I'm too lazy to pull up right now) that prove the benefits of this. These include developing grey matter in the prefrontal cortex- which helps focus and will power among other things. This book convinced me to begin meditating.

3.) The Rise - Sarah Lewis --> talks about how our failures lay the foundation for future success - she refers to it as the "near win"

Feel free to add

179orBust

Bronze

Re: anyone in here into self development books?

Post by 179orBust » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:02 pm

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen and The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy are two of my favorites. Both have great reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.
Just bought The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People on my Kindle. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is. Good thread btw

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Hey 179 or bust, I actually just got the 7 habits book in hard cover on Friday. If you'd like to read it together and discuss it I'd be down (book club? lol.)

179orBust

Bronze

Post by 179orBust » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:04 am

I read sporadically so don't know if I'm the best guy for that but I do think it would be helpful. PM me.

lollsat

New

Post by lollsat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 am

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is a really good one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 am

lollsat wrote:The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is a really good one.
I've read this, changes your life. A new earth is really good too i'm not quite done in yet though.

Deleterious

New

Post by Deleterious » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:02 am

I used to read a lot of self-help books and I have to say most of them are complete fluff offering little practical or original information. Your time would be better spent focusing on whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. "Just work" is the best advice I can give.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”