deleted Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LawurmStudent

New

deleted

Post by LawurmStudent » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 pm

deleted
Last edited by LawurmStudent on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Re: Accommodations for recently diagnosed ADD

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:24 pm

I don't think just an ADD diagnosis will suffice. http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... ve-non.pdf

There's something called the woodcock-johnson test I guess. How bout that?

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:53 pm

http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... ations.pdf

You stand a solid chance if you have received extra time on another standardized exam

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:53 pm

find a different profession

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:03 pm

chimp wrote:find a different profession

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Congratulations on your Adderral scrip.

scalawag

Bronze

Post by scalawag » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am

Last edited by scalawag on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KDLMaj

Bronze

Post by KDLMaj » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:13 pm

This is a tough one. Don't be fooled- LSAC is constantly sued for its accommodations practices, and they tend to simply settle out of court so they don't have to agree to any policy changes (or admit wrongdoing). It got so bad that for years the DoJ had to review all of their accommodations requests. The reason why they have to say yes if you have a history of accommodations is because the DoJ made them. There are a few check boxes for LDs/CDs that if checked, must result in accommodations (prior accommodations, testing documentation, etc). But if you aren't lucky enough to have checked all of those boxes, things get tricky.

The thing to know about the way they go about this is that they differentiate between Disabled and Impaired (because the ADA does). You have a diagnosis of ADHD- that qualifies you as impaired. But it doesn't automatically qualify you as disabled in test taking. Legally, disabled means you fall below the 16% mark for relevant skills. There's the rub. If your reading speed, verbal comprehension, etc. aren't at that mark, then you don't qualify as disabled according to LSAC. So simply submitting an ADHD diagnosis isn't sufficient. You have to submit psychometric testing results that indicate you are below that line on several tests that are inarguably linked to testing performance. This is particularly problematic for gifted test takers with LDs. Someone with a Verbal Index IQ of 135 who then scores ~30% mark on a reading test is clearly dealing with some kind of learning disability- and a significant one. But the fact that their high Verbal IQ is almost assuredly helping them to compensate actually qualifies them as "Impaired" and not "Disabled" according to LSAC.

Universities, on the other hand, have long since stopped trying to determine disabled vs impaired. Which is why a diagnosis is all they need to see. Hence the rude awakening a lot of folks get when LSAC comes around.

You should ALWAYS submit the request (And EARLY), but you just have to be ready for the fact that a diagnosis itself isn't going to cut it. And this is coming from someone with ADHD and Surface Dyslexia. who was denied by LSAC.

Good luck.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:25 pm

scalawag wrote:
This is bad advice. If you are interested in law you will find that you have the ability to hyper focus, which gives you an advantage over other people. Not to toot my own horn but in an undergrad moot court class I was always thinking about the readings, I would be on a stationary bike and as the endorphins hit I would come up with arguments, always thinking and refining, notating in my iphone. I was complimented for my legal arguments, and I attribute that in part to ADHD but also to exercising.

That said the LSAT is not something you're going to naturally excel at if you have ADHD. If you take meds you probably can't get extra time. I take vyvanse but I have given up on possibly getting extra time.

I would strongly recommend exercise in addition to medication. I've been doing 7 miles at least every other day. I have so much energy and my ability to focus is really good.

The average LSAT score is a 150. That's not incredibly hard to get.

Part of the challenge of the LSAT is the timing constraint. I read about a woman who is studying with severe depression who struggles to get out of bed. Honestly I think people like us can take the LSAT.

Good luck to you.
Sounds like autism.

If you can't focus for a couple of hours to take a test, how are you going to focus for the hours needed to get assignments done on time in law school and, more importantly, at work?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:45 pm

RancidSumo wrote:
scalawag wrote:
This is bad advice. If you are interested in law you will find that you have the ability to hyper focus, which gives you an advantage over other people. Not to toot my own horn but in an undergrad moot court class I was always thinking about the readings, I would be on a stationary bike and as the endorphins hit I would come up with arguments, always thinking and refining, notating in my iphone. I was complimented for my legal arguments, and I attribute that in part to ADHD but also to exercising.

That said the LSAT is not something you're going to naturally excel at if you have ADHD. If you take meds you probably can't get extra time. I take vyvanse but I have given up on possibly getting extra time.

I would strongly recommend exercise in addition to medication. I've been doing 7 miles at least every other day. I have so much energy and my ability to focus is really good.

Part of the challenge of the LSAT is the timing constraint. I read about a woman who is studying with severe depression who struggles to get out of bed. Honestly I think people like us can take the LSAT.

Good luck to you.
Sounds like autism.

If you can't focus for a couple of hours to take a test, how are you going to focus for the hours needed to get assignments done on time in law school and, more importantly, at work?
I'm sure there are quite a few functioning lawyers with ADD/ADHD-even if a joke, the autism comment is rude. OP if you have a passion for the law, I wouldn't give up.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:05 pm

jlk411 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:
scalawag wrote:

Good luck to you.
Sounds like autism.

I'm sure there are quite a few functioning lawyers with ADD/ADHD-even if a joke, the autism comment is rude. OP if you have a passion for the law, I wouldn't give up.
I would.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:08 pm

jlk411 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:
scalawag wrote:

Good luck to you.
Sounds like autism.

How is what I said wrong though? Do you think your boss is going to give you extra time to get shit done? Maybe push the deadlines back a day or two to accomodate the ADHD?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Just remember, as long as you do your best, everything will be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Could we not begin this stupid debate over again that presumes that if you ask for accommodations of extra time on the LSAT, you are clearly incapable of ever completing the tasks required of a lawyer? It's short sighted and presumes without evidence that taking the LSAT is anything like being a lawyer, and that all law jobs require the same skills (which are the same skills required by the LSAT).

KDLMaj

Bronze

Post by KDLMaj » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:20 pm

If I could become one of the highest rated LSAT Instructors in my company with ADHD and Surface Dyslexia, you can practice law with ADHD.

Don't listen to people who don't have the disorder (and who, frankly, probably have never had jobs in law).

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Congratulations on your Adderral scrip.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”