Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Yes
10
59%
No
7
41%
 
Total votes: 17


User avatar
Albus Dumbledore
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Albus Dumbledore » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:49 pm

The 4.4% increase in test takers on February makes me slightly worried. Let us hope the general downward trend continues.

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:37 am, edited 7 times in total.

Broncos15
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:25 am

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Broncos15 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Albus Dumbledore wrote:The 4.4% increase in test takers on February makes me slightly worried. Let us hope the general downward trend continues.



Although even with that said LSAT's in total were still down from 13/14 cycle....so thats why I am not sure until June comes around

User avatar
Albus Dumbledore
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Albus Dumbledore » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Although even with that said LSAT's in total were still down from 13/14 cycle....so thats why I am not sure until June comes around


The annual decrease in test takers had gotten smaller and smaller, so we might be at or near the bottom. But yeah, June should give us a much clearer picture.

User avatar
sox49
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby sox49 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:27 pm

i hope there is a huge increase in poorly equipped test takers

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Jeffort » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:20 pm

sox49 wrote:i hope there is a huge increase in poorly equipped test takers


More low performing test takers wouldn't affect the raw points to scaled score 'curve' for any future LSATs if that's the reason behind your hope. The LSAT isn't graded on a curve since it's a standardized test. The raw points to scaled score conversion chart/scale is determined for each test form before it's officially administered by using data about the scored sections from when they were previously administered as experimental sections.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Clemenceau » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:22 pm

The last thing the world needs is more poorly prepared lsat takers

Wingtip88
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Wingtip88 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm

A good amount of that bump from February might just be retailers.

User avatar
sox49
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby sox49 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Jeffort wrote:
sox49 wrote:i hope there is a huge increase in poorly equipped test takers


More low performing test takers wouldn't affect the raw points to scaled score 'curve' for any future LSATs if that's the reason behind your hope. The LSAT isn't graded on a curve since it's a standardized test. The raw points to scaled score conversion chart/scale is determined for each test form before it's officially administered by using data about the scored sections from when they previously administered as experimental sections.



hmmm i did not know that. so should i hope then that on previous administrations of the lsat there were a sufficient amount of poorly equipped lsat takers that had preformed poorly enough on the experimental material which has now become the june 2015 test so as to set the curve for said test to a significantly lower level than what averagely or above averagely prepared test takers would have but not to an extent that would exclude that material from the test?

User avatar
sox49
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby sox49 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:A good amount of that bump from February might just be retailers.


yeah i thought that to. since it doesn't make a lot of sense for many folks to take the lsat for the first time in february, though thats assuming people know that. maybe its just that this cycle more people are retaking?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:A good amount of that bump from February might just be retailers.


It's true, I helped tutor both Walmart and Target for the Feb administration. :lol:

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Will LSAT's go down to less than 100,000 in 15/16 Cycle

Postby Jeffort » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 pm

sox49 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
sox49 wrote:i hope there is a huge increase in poorly equipped test takers


More low performing test takers wouldn't affect the raw points to scaled score 'curve' for any future LSATs if that's the reason behind your hope. The LSAT isn't graded on a curve since it's a standardized test. The raw points to scaled score conversion chart/scale is determined for each test form before it's officially administered by using data about the scored sections from when they previously administered as experimental sections.



hmmm i did not know that. so should i hope then that on previous administrations of the lsat there were a sufficient amount of poorly equipped lsat takers that had preformed poorly enough on the experimental material which has now become the june 2015 test so as to set the curve for said test to a significantly lower level than what averagely or above averagely prepared test takers would have but not to an extent that would exclude that material from the test?


No, even if that happened with the 4 scored sections that'll be the June 2015 LSAT when they were pre-tested as experimental sections it wouldn't produce a more generous score conversion scale. LSAC uses some really advanced psychometrics and statistical analysis methods to accurately determine the objective difficulty level of each question, each section and test form as a whole to properly equate the overall difficulty level of every LSAT test-form in order to produce a corresponding conversion scale that is accurate such that any given score from one LSAT test form (like a 165 for example) represents the same skill/ability performance level as a 165 or any other scaled score achieved on a different LSAT.

If you want to learn about some of the mind bending complicated psychometric and statistical methods LSAC uses to develop and assemble consistent valid LSAT test-forms, here's a fairly detailed article they published about it.

Disclaimer though: reading the article will not give you any insights or information that'll help you score higher but could cause your brain to short circuit and get fried if you try to make sense of the included formulas and math stuff.

http://www.ma.iup.edu/~jchrispe/ORArtic ... onTest.pdf

Image




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, bearedman8, Deardevil, dontsaywhatyoumean, Greenteachurro, laqueredup, neptunian, whatton, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests