Prep for High-Level Improvement. 7Sage?

Mwsberdan

Prep for High-Level Improvement. 7Sage?

Postby Mwsberdan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi guys. I have been going through 7Sage's free trial course materials with plans to purchase once I get through it. However, I'm finding a lot of it very elementary. An 8-minute video digs deeply into something I either already understand or only need a few sentences to really nail down.

I have all the Preptests up to 65 from a friend who decided against law school, would I be better off buying the last few Preptests, and just doing practice tests and reviewing? Or does 7Sage's paid content differ from what's offered free, and would it be worth the $180-$350? I also have access to a variety of prep books (PS LGB and LRB, some Manhattan, Dummies, etc through library). Part of what I like about 7Sage are the question-by-question breakdowns for each test, but can I get most of that value free through LSATHacks?

I untimed diag'ed a 165 a week or so ago on my first diag (no more than 3 minutes over on any given section). I am aiming for 173+.

Some experienced tips would be great.

nicoleh625

Re: Prep for High-Level Improvement. 7Sage?

Postby nicoleh625 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:12 pm

7sage is 100% worth it for the course material alone. The Starter course contains all of the same course materials as the Ultimate. 7sage has revolutionized my LSAT experience and it's by far the best resource (especially given the low price).

nicoleh625

Postby nicoleh625 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Just hop on over to the 7sage forums—join one of our Blind Review groups. You'll quickly see the difference 7sage makes, especially for 170+ score seekers.

Deleterious

Postby Deleterious » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Mwsberdan wrote:Hi guys. I have been going through 7Sage's free trial course materials with plans to purchase once I get through it. However, I'm finding a lot of it very elementary. An 8-minute video digs deeply into something I either already understand or only need a few sentences to really nail down.

I have all the Preptests up to 65 from a friend who decided against law school, would I be better off buying the last few Preptests, and just doing practice tests and reviewing? Or does 7Sage's paid content differ from what's offered free, and would it be worth the $180-$350? I also have access to a variety of prep books (PS LGB and LRB, some Manhattan, Dummies, etc through library). Part of what I like about 7Sage are the question-by-question breakdowns for each test, but can I get most of that value free through LSATHacks?

I untimed diag'ed a 165 a week or so ago on my first diag (no more than 3 minutes over on any given section). I am aiming for 173+.

Some experienced tips would be great.

A few observations:

1) A 165 diag is an excellent score (even if untimed) so it's clear you have a strong grasp of the fundamentals. Because of this, you won't get as much out of a prep course as someone starting in the 150s so it makes sense that some of the material seems rudimentary. TLS conventional wisdom recommends self-study for high scorers, the logic being that if you're smart enough to cold diag in the 160s then you're smart enough to figure it out on your own.

2) Both LSAT Hacks and the Manhattan forums provide PT explanations for free. All 7sage's LG solutions are free as well.

3) I haven't used 7sage but it comes highly recommended (as does Velocity, Blueprint, Powerscore, Manhattan, Testmasters, and LSAT Trainer). However, it's important to remember that NO prep company can give you a magic bullet. The best of them offer intelligent, competent LSAT information and advice but everything else is up to you. Even the most comprehensive prep class/materials is no more than a supplement to the hard, solitary work of individual study.

4) I'd start off by going through the prepbooks you mentioned and learning the nuts and bolts of the test. I know you said you have access to some books but don't limit yourself to what's available at the library or through friends. If you're struggling with a particular section, buy all the recommended books and go through them, twice. Experiment with different methods and find out what works for you. Do a lot of drilling and review. Don't burn through old PTs in an unfocused or haphazard fashion. There's lots of good information on TLS about the best ways to structure your prep. Good luck.

Mwsberdan

Postby Mwsberdan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:59 am

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I tutored and TA'ed for philosophy and particularly formal logic, so a lot of LR and LG comes pretty easily to me, I just need to get my speed up, and a diagramming system for LG down.
Do those of you who have 7sage think the Complete/Ultimate packages are worth it if you already have the Preptests? I'm wondering particularly about the practice problem sets and the question-by-question explanations (those that require purchase).

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:31 am

Mwsberdan wrote:Thanks for the tips, y'all. I tutored and TA'ed for philosophy and particularly formal logic, so a lot of LR and LG comes pretty easily to me, I just need to get my speed up, and a diagramming system for LG down.
Do those of you who have 7sage think the Complete/Ultimate packages are worth it if you already have the Preptests? I'm wondering particularly about the practice problem sets and the question-by-question explanations (those that require purchase).

For LG, I'd get the Powerscore LG Bible + Cambridge LG broken down by type + use the FREE 7Sage explanations. Most of the cost of prep courses is from PT licensing so if you already have the PT's, I'd just save yourself the money.

Velocity has free explanations too, and I'd recommend them for LR & RC.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”