In the passage, the author mentions or suggests all EXCEPT

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WaltGrace83

Silver

In the passage, the author mentions or suggests all EXCEPT

Postby WaltGrace83 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:31 am

How do you tackle these RC questions? I can usually eliminate 3 quickly but I am stuck on 1 or 2 and then I have to read through the passage as fast as I can looking for the main word in an answer choice. I feel like there has to be a better way. Thoughts?

ltowns1

Silver

Re: In the passage, the author mentions or suggests all EXCEPT

Postby ltowns1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:36 am

I got the same problem

msp8

Bronze

Postby msp8 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:37 am

I dislike these Qs. Like you, I can eliminate 3 ACs immediately, but then the last two are tough. I can remember where things are mentioned generally, so I just rush back to the passage and scan.

They're time-wasters, just like Parallel in LR. I don't think there's an easy remedy.

sox49

Bronze

Postby sox49 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:17 pm

i agree with the above post. in my experience, these questions pop up maybe twice a section, so it remains the challenge of the RC section to understand each passage and quickly work through main point, structure, and inference questions. though i do feel like these questions aren't always exploiting minute details and that a good idea of what the passage talks about and how it presents and supports its argument, presents and answers/concedes to critics, and articulates the implications of its argument will often help you find TCR quickly.

Hand

Gold

Postby Hand » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:25 pm

waltgrace isn't it time you actually take the damn test instead for a change instead of asking questions here, as it's been a while now, hasn't it

KDLMaj

Bronze

Postby KDLMaj » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

I'm a big fan of turning disadvantages into advantages. You can either blow several minutes on a 50/50 chance, or you can pray for two of these in a section, skip them, and use that time elsewhere. (If you spend 2 minutes on these, and there are two in the sections- that's a whole passage you could've read in that time). If you're only scoring like 50% on these, you're blowing like 4 minutes for 1 point.

Alternately, if you insist on doing these questions, do them last. By then, the hope is that you'll have revisited the passage a few times to answer the questions and will have an easier time eliminating choices. Also, be on the lookout for any point in time where the author lists 4-5 things at once- those tend to turn into EXCEPT questions later.

But mostly, skip them. Use that time well, and your score will go up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�